Dell Inspiron 9300

Mothered

:) Hi to everyone. I have a Dell Inspiron 9300 laptop which I just received yesterday. This Is a "monster" of a system and I am very happy with It In all aspects of computational performance. It's specs are as follows:
-2.13GHz Pentium M Centrino Processor at 770, 2MB Cache, 533MHz FSB
-2048MB (2Gig) DDR2 SDRAM at 533MHz
- 256MB NVIDIA GeForce Go 6800 Graphics (PCI-E)
-100GB Ultra ATA 5400Rpm Hard Drive
-17" UXGA Widescreen (1920X1200 Res)
These are the main components and I would like to hear from anyone with similar specs and their overall feedback. I am yet to benchmark It with 3D Mark 2003. Has anyone performed a benchmark of similar nature? I would appreciate your feedback. Thanks!

SonnieP

I have a 9300... not quite as loaded as yours. I really like it although I think I need to up my RAM to at least 1GB. It's a little slow.

I checked mine with XP Bench and it came back 34 (compared to my desktop at 94), which is super low. Not sure how accurate XP Bench is or how it compares to 3D Mark 2003... I probably need to check it with another program to be sure.

I'd really be interested in knowing what yours test at.

Last edited:

X24

yes, the i9300 is a monster in terms of size and power.
Don't get me wrong, its one of the lightest 17" notebooks out there, but i kinda wish it was a little bit smaller.

BTW: what battery did you get?

and mine will score over 4000 in 3dmark05 with the drivers from laptopvideo2go.com

Last edited:

SonnieP

I got the standard battery because I hardly ever go anywhere with it. It will last about 2.5 to 3 hours on a full charge sitting in my recliner, which is where I use it about 99% of the time. If I use it that long I have my power cord right next to me and I just plug it up.

I may test mine in 3DMark05 and see what I get. I'll have to check out that laptopvideo2go.com... never heard of it.

X24

ya, i got the 9 cell, it was super cheap with my 40% off, and i wanted extra battery. on the max preformance setting i get around 3 hours on a full charge, if i turn stuff down, i can get around 4 hours with normal use.

Mothered

SonnieP
Yes, I agree that you should upgrade your ram to at least 1 Gig. You won't regret It. Just be carefull though with compatability Issues. The Dell 9300 ram Is compatabile with "PC2-4200 DDR2 SODIMM" memory modules. You may want to quote this upon purchase. Also, enquire as to the make and warranty of your ram purchase. As for the comparison between the benchmarking programs, I have yet to experience XP Bench, as different programs denote different outcomes In terms of performance ratings. Just to give you an Insight Sonnie, with 3D mark 2003, benchmarking my 9300 with the aforementioned configurations, I'd expect an overall rating of around 7000+.
I have yet to test It as such. The best way to benchmark your system Is to have as few programs running as possible. Even programs that start during boot-up, disable them by typing "msconfig" (without the quotation marks) in the run command and uncheck the "load start up Items" box. Once benchmarked, you can then enable your start-up programs again. Disable your Internet connection for the Interim and any other applications you have running In the background. Basically, what you're after Is a "true" performance rating without anything dragging your system down. Once I bencmark my 9300 with 3D Mark 2003 (Either today or tomorrow) I will post you the results......Good luck with your's Sonnie.....

SonnieP

Thanks Mothered...

I've been lookin' at newegg for some of that memory you mentioned. I have 2 dimms in mine now at 256 each. I've been debating whether to go with 2 X 512MB or just add 1GB to one of the 256MB and 1.25GB total. I think I'll do this to start with and later I may swap out the other if needed. Looks like 1GB will cost me around $100 or so. I noticed I have a hard time running my wincustomize themes and all of it's features with only 512MB.

My video card is only a 64MB ATI X300 and I may upgrade that as well to at least 128MB. Hopefully those two items will help with the overall performance.

SonnieP

I can't download it at home... file is too large. I'll copy it to CD at the office and bring it home and run it. I have 3DMark03. Does it matter whether it's 03 or 05?

SonnieP

Ok... 01 is a much smaller file than 03 so I can download it at home. I have this FAP I have to watch on Direcway at home. The 03 download is over my FAP limit. O1 is only 40MB's so it's not a problem. I'll download it and run it and see what scores I get.

X24

idk, i have never ran 01 before, but remember, its only an X300, not a geforce 6800.

BTW: if u want to see how that stacks up, run that on ur desktop to see what it gets.

alanuofm

VIP Member
SonnieP said:
Alrighty then... I ran 3DMark01 and I scored 7198 3D marks.

Is that respectable?

what computer is that with? my 600m gets the same thing. yeah that score isn't bad. 01 is more cpu demanding.

X24

ya, and u got a 600m? awesome, its a heck of alot smaller then like this 9300 or ur 9200.

and, ya, if he took like an 03 test, i think his X300 would beat your 9000.

alanuofm

VIP Member
X24 said:
ya, and u got a 600m? awesome, its a heck of alot smaller then like this 9300 or ur 9200.

and, ya, if he took like an 03 test, i think his X300 would beat your 9000.

maybe. but he has faster ram (600m has pc2700) and probably a faster processor and got the same score :)