Dell Latitude E5470 SSD Windows detected hard disk problem

pjoseph2424

Greetings all:

Computer is running Windows 7 Pro
On Friday i got a popup that "windows detected a hard disk problem"
It had two options 1) start the backup process 2) Ask me again later

I tried option #1 and tried to backup to an external and at about 50% complete computer restarted and i was stuck in a blue screen loop.
with the following options
1-Safe mode
2- Same mode with networking
3- safe mode with command prompt

I tried all 3 of the above options and i would get stuck in that same loop.

Next i believe i hit "F12" during startup and it brought up another menu "System Recovery Options" with the following options:
1-Startup Repair
2-System Restore
3-System Image Recovery
4-Windows Memory Diagnostic
5-Command Prompt

So far i have only tried option #1 and it is unable to repair.

I also have gotten a blue screen not 100% sure where in the process it came up but it mentions the following "UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME"

I do have a "WindowsImageBackup" that a made a while back which is on an external SSD im just not sure if it is of any use.

Obviously i am trying to get some files off of the computer hard drive, any help would be much appreciated

Thank you very much.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Unmountable boot volume message means the drive is failing. You will need to pull data off of it installing as a slave drive not a boot drive. Hopefully the drive can be read and pull data from.

pjoseph2424

appreciate the reply, any links on how exactly i go about "pulling data off of it installing as a slave not a boot drive"

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
You'll have to attach it to a different computer. Unfortunately, what you have is an M2 SSD which you'll need an M2 adapter in order to use it most machines now unless the motherboard supports it. Something like this one.

pjoseph2424

depending on how involved it is im thinking i may just run to best buy to buy one even though they are like 3 times the price just to get it today

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Remove the ssd from the machine, attach to the adapter, plug adapter into different machine via usb cable. Depending on where your data is stored you may have to take ownership of the files/folders if they are inside your user folder. I would link you a file to download so that it's easier to take ownership but currently on my phone. I'll see if I can do it in a minute. It's a file that you merge with the registry so you get the option to take ownership of files when right clicking on the folder.

pjoseph2424

i got that card reader, went through the take ownership directions.
I plugged the drive in and right clicked on it and clicked take ownership, a blank command prompt came up for a few min followed by the following message: Location is not available D:\ is not accessible the parameter is incorrect.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Sounds like the drive is too far gone now. Can you access the d drive by just clicking on it?