Dell XPS 15 unstable battery (Or Motherboard)

fjobeir

I have a Dell XPS 15. I was working on it, everything was cool but suddenly it warned me about the "low battery level" I plugged the charger but the laptop did not take the electricity. Gladly, I had a short time to save my work and shut the laptop down.
I delivered it to a technical company, they said you should change the motherboard and provided an offer with around $850 to fix it.
I did not accept the offer and took my laptop again, I turned it on, it works and it takes electricity. The Dell support assistant program checked the hardware and did not detect any problem.
I got a new battery for it, and, the laptop looks like it working, but when I charge it, it says:
charged 100% .... 4 hours remained (it should be around 8 or 9 hours normally, the battery is totally new)
charged 99% .... 2 hours and 36 minutes remained
charged 98% .... 4 hours remained

This is totally unstable, I do not know if it is risky to use it or if I really should change the motherboard. Can a laptop work if its motherboard needs to be changed?

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
Battery usage will vary depending on the load of the battery. If you don't change what you're doing the time will be more accurate. But take it with a grain of salt.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Did the new battery come from Dell? If not, that could be why you are seeing what you do.