Desktop PC not sending signal to any monitors

Matin N

Hey everybody, I just built a pc a few days ago and I'm having a few issues. It appears as though power is going to the computer (fans are working, motherboard lights are on). But for some reason the graphics card isn't delivering signal to any monitors. I have no idea what's going on, and the graphics card has no visible damage. I'll leave a list of the specs below, PLEASE HELP!

Case: phanteks p400
Motherboard: msi b350m gaming pro
RAM: 16 gb rip jaws V
CPU: ryzen 5 1600
GPU: MSI NVIDIA GTX 1060
Power supply: EVGA100-W1-0500-RX 500w ATX12v 80+ certified refurbished
Hard Drive: WD caviar blue 1TB 7200 RPM

Even though there isn't visible damage to the graphics card I suspect either it or some part of the motherboard is dead. By the way, these parts were purchased DAYS AGO.

Attachments

• IMG_0034.JPG
    IMG_0034.JPG
    959 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_0035.JPG
    IMG_0035.JPG
    880.7 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_0036.JPG
    IMG_0036.JPG
    885.5 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_0038.JPG
    IMG_0038.JPG
    985.2 KB · Views: 3

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Do you have a power cable from the power supply going to the video card? It won't work without one.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Do you have the monitor attached to the video card or the port on the motherboard? You would be surprised how many people make this mistake. Other than that, it sounds like you have a hardware issue somewhere. Are you using HDMI or DVI?

Matin N

Do you have the monitor attached to the video card or the port on the motherboard? You would be surprised how many people make this mistake. Other than that, it sounds like you have a hardware issue somewhere. Are you using HDMI or DVI?
I have tried both methods of attaching the monitor to the pc (putting the cable into the motherboard and the gpu). I am using a dvi cable but also tried an hdmi cable to my tv (my monitor does not have a direct hdmi port.

Wow, now my motherboard won't even turn on

Last edited by a moderator:

_Pete_

I think at this point I would take the motherboard out of the case. Remove everything from it except Ram and CPU. Just connect a monitor to the MB VGA port and the power suppy. Short the on/off switch connection pins and see if it POSTs and that you can see that on the monitor. If that happens then it's a fair chance that the MB, RAM and PSU are okay. Lay the MB on a piece of cardboard or wood to insulate it from any metal. it could be that it is shorting to the case.

Matin N

I think at this point I would take the motherboard out of the case. Remove everything from it except Ram and CPU. Just connect a monitor to the MB VGA port and the power suppy. Short the on/off switch connection pins and see if it POSTs and that you can see that on the monitor. If that happens then it's a fair chance that the MB, RAM and PSU are okay. Lay the MB on a piece of cardboard or wood to insulate it from any metal. it could be that it is shorting to the case.
lol, that's funny I just took apart the whole pc and put it back together again.... LETS TAKE THIS OUT AGAIN

Yes Pete, it worked!!!!

_Pete_

Sometimes that's how it goes with building computers. If it don't work take it back to faubasics and eliminate as much as you can. Either way if it still doesn't work then you know it has to be the RAM, CPU or MB or if it does work then it has to be something else and then you start adding the other components till it stops. Only thing you have to be careful of fault finding that way is that it doesn't blow the MB but without knowing the technicalities of the MB and being in possesion of some pretty sophisticated test equipment it is the inly way.

Okay so now, at least you know it is something that you added later like the GPU.

kam

lol, that's funny I just took apart the whole pc and put it back together again.... LETS TAKE THIS OUT AGAIN

So I'm guessing you haven't solved the problem? When you turn the PC on, do the monitors come on and then say "monitor going back to sleep"? Or something along those lines? Or is it just not coming on at all?

_Pete_

The other thing, of course is the positioning of the board screws. I have put screws in the wrong place and shorted boards out. that is quite a common failure of computer builders, well it is of me anyway LOL.

_Pete_

Err you just said it worked but if you still cannot see anything on the monitor then it didn't work.

Matin N

Oops I meant that it turned on I didn't correct it in time

I'm going to look for another cable to try, maybe a vga this time

_Pete_

Yep that sounds good although you should have used a VGA from the on board VGA port in the first place. This is back to board basics stuff and VGA is as basic as it comes. If it still doesn't show on the monitor then my next move would be to reseat the CPU and RAM.

Matin N

wish me luck, I don't even think I have a vga, for some reason I only have dvi's.... ok I'll update in a bit

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Are you sure you used the correct amount of standoffs between motherboard and case so that the motherboard doesn't ground out against the case? If you don't use the correct amount or put one in the wrong place this sort of behavior will happen. Try building the motherboard on a piece of cardboard outside of the case and see if it will properly. If it does, then you know the issue is with the standoffs.

Matin N

Everything is working fine (power comes on, fans come on, etc) but I still can't connect to the monitor with the dvi cable I have. I'm getting a vga to see if it works.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Did you build it outside of the case though? Could be cable, could be video card, Could be bad ram. Do you have a system speaker attached to the motherboard to hear any bios beeps?

Matin N

Yeah, I took out the motherboard fro, the case and now it tuns on. I was probably shorting it on the case. I'm not using the gpu this time because I'm trying to find out what basic things are messed up. The onboard graphics card dvi slot also does not work, so I'm suspecting either the cable or the CPU. What do you think?