Desktop PC not sending signal to any monitors

Matin N

No speaker unfortunately...

Just so you know this is my first pc build, sorry if I'm making dumb mistakes or whatnot, I'm a real noob transferring over from console to pc....

Last edited by a moderator:

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
The processor you are using doesn't have graphics so you'll need to use the video card in order to get anything show up on the monitor. Did you insert the processor correctly? Try removing and reinserting ram into different slots?

Matin N

Ok, I'll try that

All right , just so you know the gpu doesn't support vga anyway, so I used the same dvi and I got the same results as usual, fans on, lights on, but no signal to the monitor. I will check with a different dvi, then a differed hdmi. If it is the cable's fault, awesome, but what's the next step if it isn't? I did reseat the components though.

_Pete_

Not understanding this. If the manufacturer of that board has installed a VGA port on the board, which according to the manufacturer's website they have, why would they then not put the components, AKA a graphics chip, on the board to support that port. Seems counterproductive to me and certainly stupidly wasteful, money and resources wise, to the manufacturer. Oh and don't worry about making "dumb mistakes" Matin (your words not mine) everybody makes them including those that are supposed to know what they are doing including me. the problem is not making dumb mistakes. the problem, from your point of view, is not making the mistakes but in not knackering the expensive stuff you have by making those mistakes. From our point of view people who ask for help must be extremely clear in what they ask for and how they interpret the advice given and how they answer the questions asked. We all have our own ways of diagnosing faults. Usually they work for us but not, necessarily, for anyone else. And don't think for one minute that every single poster on this and every other help forum hasn't had their major disasters. We have and we will. We were all learners once and where technology is concerned we are ALL still are. It is extremely difficult to interpret fault symptoms and to diagnose faults when you have the kit and the test equipment on the table in front of you. When you are diagnosing remotely, as on the web, then it becomes infinetly more difficult to impossible.

The reasons for the advice that I have given you is that I have looked at the board on manufacturers web site and I have gleaned certain information from that website and based my advice on that information. Of course I could have looked at the wrong board or the manufacturers specifications could be wrong, they do, rather stupidly in my opinion, differ from country to country. At the moment you have a board the will not perform a basic function, ie it will not display. Without a display everything you have is useless. Because a display on a computer is basic to how that device is used it is vital to go back to basics to fault find the board. that means removing everything that is not required to actually make the board give a display. You will, or should, get a display as soon as the board is powered up and that display comes from the bios (Basic Input Output System) note the basic. If you get a display with the board out of the case with only CPU, RAM and power supply attached then we know the board, RAM and CPU are okay. If you cannot do that or that board will only display if you have to add very expensive components (GPU) then the only way to fault find it is to start throwing different bits of expensive add ons to it. Fault finding then becomes extremely expensive.

Matin N

Okay, I understand now. I'm not diagnosing these problems incorrectly. From your understanding I should get a display with just mb, ram, and power supply if those parts are working properly? Does this still apply if I'm using a CPU without onboard graphics? (Like the ryzen 5 1600 that I'm using).

_Pete_

I'm not now sure that is why I put the first paragraph of my last reply in. According to johnb35 because your CPU doesn't support graphics then it wont work. BUT if there is no graphics chip, and onboard graphics chips are usually separate from the CPU, then why would the board manufacturer put a VGA socket on the board. So in my opinion john is wrong but I cannot categorically state that as I don't know this MB and it could be that specs for that board differ from country to country. All I can say is try it. To be honest that has added an uncertainty now that will make diagnosing your problem even more difficult. If, when you set it up as I have suggested it displays the POST with just those components then you know it isn't any of those components causing your problem. If it still doesn't dissplay then, because of the uncertainty as to whether there is an on board graphics chip or not, then it becomes difficult and will invlove trying different components which will become expensive.

Matin N

Well at this point the issue is between the motherboard, the graphics card, and possibly the CPU or ram. To avoid all the trial and error I am just going to use neweggs great refund/replace policy and just get a new set of parts :p

Basically the Mb supports igp but my CPU just doesn't use it

_Pete_

Well I didn't know what IGP meant so I googled it and this is what it says.

Stands for "Integrated Graphics Processor." An IGP is a graphics chip that is integrated into a computer's motherboard. The IGP serves the same purpose as a video card, which is to process the graphics displayed on the computer.

Integrated graphics processors take the graphcis portion of the processing load off the main CPU. However, because IGPs are soldered onto the motherboard, their size is limited and they cannot use a dedicated fan to cool them, like some video cards do. For this reason, IGPs typically do not have the same performance as video cards, which may be attached to the computer's PCI or AGP slots. Because integrated graphics processors cannot be removed, they also cannot be upgraded like video cards can. However, because of their small size, IGPs are a good solution for laptop computers and entry-level desktop PCs.

So according to that my diagnosing method should work. It is basically saying that the graphics chip is separate from the CPU. I think your CPU would use it it's just a waste of the processing power of that CPU to use it normally because of the graphic chip's limitations. I think if you plug a GPU card into the slot then the CPU just looks for that and uses it. that's my take on it anyway.

Matin N

Okay makes sense

Ok, so mb has integrated graphics, separate from the cpu?

_Pete_

Ok, so mb has integrated graphics, separate from the cpu?

Well that is what you have just told me LOL. You said it supports IGP which stands for Integrated Graphics Processor which is separate from the CPU according to that blurb I just posted.

Matin N

lol I'm being retarded anyway I get it. Honestly thank you so much for the insight I learned a lot... it's definitely the mb at this point without even plugging in the dvi - there are pins on the bottom that got shorted out

im just going to replace it and all will be well lmao

**** YEAH I FIXED IT

image.jpg YASSSSSSSS even with the gpu it works!!!!

_Pete_

There ya go. Now sit down and tell everyone what you did to fix it so that everyone benefits LOL. Oh well done by the way. Your first personalised computer well nearly anyway a long way to go before personalisation but your on the way. Now all you gotta do is wait for all your friends to start ringing you to fix their computers for mates rates which usually means for free.

Oh just looked at that piccy. It's not fixed yet but at least you know that all the bits that you have used to get that display are working. Now you have to find out which bit isn't working. I would suggest the GPU OR you haven't set the bios to see that GPU OR you haven't plugged the GPU in properly still quite a few things that could be wrong but not with the components that you used to get to that display.

I just reread your post where you said it was working with the GPU so that's a result. Now put it back in the case and be careful with the standoffs and screws. read the manual to see where they go. A wrongly placed standoff could blow your motherboard.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
All newer motherboards won't have an integrated graphics chipset as most older boards did. Now the integrated video comes on the cpu die, Ryzen doesn't have integrated video on its cpu's. Later generations of ryzen will support onboard video but not at this time. Thats why the motherboard has onboard video port.

Matin N

Jesus Christ... something is going wrong again... so it works out of the case with the bare minimum requirements to get a monitor up... meaning that something in my case is messing it up

Ok I'm diagnosing and I got this image

I'm trying to resolve it... this means basically that My pc doesn't know what to boot from?

I tried unplugging and re plugging hard drive power and sata

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    899.3 KB · Views: 2

_Pete_

I assume that when you are fault finding in the most basic mode you do not have your hard drive connected. If that is the case then it will find a boot device. If your hard drive is connected have you installed Windows, or whatever OS you want to use, on it. |If you have then there is a problem with the hard drive or it hasn't been set to boot from in the bios although to be fair it shouldn't really matter what device is set as the preferred boot device if no other bootable device is connected then the bios should look for the next in line. The other problem could be that the BIOS is UEFI and it has been set to legacy etc etc. That is quite complicated to tell you what to do with it so best advice I can give is go into your BIOS and set it defaults. Those are only suggestions and not any definitive fault finding on your board.

Matin N

Additionally, I have gone into bios and made sure that the boot device was the hard drive, but it didn't work....

I haven't installed windows, as I was worried something would get messed up... is it safe to go into bios and install windows?

Btw when the pc turns on I can clearly hear the hard drive turning on

IM DUMB NVM ILL LEAVE U ALONE SORRY

Okay windows is being installed, all these mistakes have happened because I wasn't 100% educated... I think everything will work from now on but I'll keep you guys posted after windows downloads.

:p

_Pete_

If you leave us alone then you will never learn. You learn by doing it and asking questions. Even the people who come on and use big words did not know what they were doing at first. I can assure you that we have all got it wrong big time and very expensively in our time. It is very difficult to diagnose problems on the internet. It is also very difficult for people who have just started off down the road of computer building, fault finding and programming to understand what the people, who are trying to help, are telling them. You will get a lot of conflicting advice some of correct and some of it wrong. Some things you ex[pect to happen will not as technology advances. It is a learning curve that is quite steep at the beginning and never ever levels out.

Matin N

I installed windows and it ran fine. I then shut down the pc and now, trying to turn it back on, it's doing the Power saving thing again. I think I've hit a realization: the pc parts are totally fine, it's something else

I think it's the dvi cable... I'll get a new one and then see. Something tells me that's what it is

Wait... if I plug in a USB mouse to the motherboard and it doesn't turn on, what does that mean? Is that a problem with the PSU or the motherboard?

Because that would explain the monitor not receiving signal. I plugged my mouse and keyboard in and there's no red light on the bottom of the mouse...

Jeez this stuff Is honestly killing me it's 3 am here

Ok fixed it lol the whole problem was a crooked standoff that was SO BARELY CROOKED...

Lol