Did my (new) router suddenly go bad?

JohnJSal

Hi all. So recently I had to get a new router to replace one that stopped working. After getting the new one set up, it finally starting working correctly for about a week. All of a sudden today, I had no internet and I saw that the internet light on the router was off. (The power, Wi-Fi, and computer lights were on, though.)

I called my ISP and they said they could see that I was getting bad frequencies on the router, but when I bypassed the router and plugged the ethernet cable directly into the PC, everything cleared up and was fine again! Almost the same issue as last time, but with a new router!

Unfortunately, since the new router is not supplied by my ISP, they can't/won't troubleshoot it or adjust the frequencies to it, so I'm stuck with either dealing with the manufacturer or replacing the router. Since it's brand new, I'm just going to have Amazon send me a new one and try that one. I figure that's easier.

But I'm just curious if anyone knows what could be the issue with the above details. The tech rep suggested that the WAN port could be burned out, or some other hardware issue caused the router to stop working.

Thanks!

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member

JohnJSal

Thanks for the wakeup call! I guess I figured one is as good as the other, but I wouldn't skimp on any other type of electronics, so not sure why I did on this one!

I'll look into both of those, but hey, I've been going with your recommendations so far, so why stop now! :)

Darren

Staff member
30 dollar router or not, it shouldn't stop working after a week. I'd still get something better though.

JohnJSal

30 dollar router or not, it shouldn't stop working after a week. I'd still get something better though.
I agree. But I do hope replacing it is the solution and not something more technical!

I'll find out Thursday when it arrives! :)

JohnJSal

Thanks so much! I got your recommended router, set it up, called my ISP, and within minutes it was working properly! None of that issue with the speeds being 10 Mbps for a few hours or anything weird. It just works normally! Hopefully it stays this way!

Thanks for the recommendation!

ssal

Don't know where you are.
I just got a TP-Link A8 AC1900 for $54 from B&H. No shipping and tax neither.

ssal

How do you know what router he got? I don't see it in the OP.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
How do you know what router he got? I don't see it in the OP.
Cause he has another thread about this issue.

ssal

Cause he has another thread about this issue.

OK. I looked up his previous post. It's a TP-Link Archer A54, right?
What's the difference between it and the AC1900? It looks like the A54 is 1200 Mbps. It's not that much slower for most of the average holdhold.
Why is it inferior, and cheaper?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
I personally wouldn't trust a router that is only 30 bucks. Cheapest I will spend now is about $75 unless a client actually can't afford that much.

The OP never stated which suggested router he bought. I really trust Asus brand routers though. Plus his original router wasn't even gigabit.

Intel_man

VIP Member
OK. I looked up his previous post. It's a TP-Link Archer A54, right?
What's the difference between it and the AC1900? It looks like the A54 is 1200 Mbps. It's not that much slower for most of the average holdhold.
Why is it inferior, and cheaper?
The A8 is marketed with MU-MIMO which could theoretically be more efficient when more devices are connected to it. It's also got a theoretical max connection of 1300 Mbps on the 5ghz band compared to the standard 867 Mbps on the A54. Looks like the A8 can work under TP-Link's mesh wifi eco system too. The A8 seems to offer a few more bells and whistles over the A54.

I personally wouldn't trust a router that is only 30 bucks. Cheapest I will spend now is about $75 unless a client actually can't afford that much.

The OP never stated which suggested router he bought. I really trust Asus brand routers though. Plus his original router wasn't even gigabit.
Asus makes great routers for consumers. The RT-AX55 is a great little guy and the asusmerlin software really unlocks a lot of its true potential.

JohnJSal

Oh sorry, I was referring to the one where you said "But I do recommend this one," which was the Asus AX-1800. I'm starting to love Asus products lately!