Difference between Operating Systems

TrainTrackHack

VIP Member
hack, im not clutching at any straws, but simply quoting others.

Im simply saying in terms of genesis, the OSs are very much related even this is validated by the big Linus himself.

Ive simply produced evidence for my view.
Yes, yes you are.

You said that Mac OS is based on Linux. That's wrong. You then started moving the goalposts, first making the claim that Linux is based on Unix (complete with a cropped screenshot of a picture that really does make it look like you didn't want to post the original and haven't despite me having asked for a link to it, so it really looks like you're trying to mislead someone), and then once more by providing quotes which essentially amount to saying "Linux is Unix-like", which is what the Linux crew here have said all along long before the "validation" (not that it was even needed) by Torvalds. Oh, and posting a link to an article that doesn't have any apparent connection to the topic at hand and not explaining what the purpose of it was, even when asked several times, doesn't help either.

Okedokey

Lets agree to disagree mate, I'm over it, you clearly believe strongly in what you're saying. I'm simply saying they were incestuous days.

Windows 7 64 bit is the answer.

TrainTrackHack

VIP Member
Mate, it's not a matter of "belief". Don't even try to imply that I'm pushing my beliefs or opinions here. Just about everything I've posted on is objective (and I'm happy for people to prove me wrong, but I'll want a little more than selectively cropped screenshots, irrelevant wikipedia articles and semantic tricks). I'll agree to to disagree on anything subjective if you want, sure, but Mac OS being based on Linux is not a subjective matter.

I'm simply saying they were incestuous days.
Fine, I'll agree to disagree.

linux4ever

Imo

Difference between those three os's, if you want to just call linux an os, is in a word, everything. Windows is for everyone, mac is for the the people tired of ms junk and have a lot of money, and Linux is for the advanced user. well... doesnt have to be it's user friendly but it still is a bit.

Windows
Pros: Windows has a large software base so any program you ever want can either be cracked or purchased. Everyone knows how to use it, as everyone has. its already installed. everyones an expert. its the Kcar of the os world.

Cons: It's built with no love tho. from the ground up it's just not solid.
the windows filesystem ntfs frags fast, the registry bloats fast, it's insanely heavy on resources proven by running a linux distro on the same system.. it's prone to corruption from malware and viruses. its designed to fail and designed to push the hardware industry. Look at vista, why was it so heavy? thats why.

Linux
Pros: Faster by far, all the software is free and in one place, you get a new os usually every 6 months which means a total upgrade, updates are more frequent and pushed out quicker because its open source, no virus issues as it was designed with security in mind, ext4 filesystem has no frag issues so no defrag. it doesnt slow down over time. doesnt suffer from bloat. its totally customizable. it's a multiuser os, so it can handle the load. memory and cpu seem to be better utilized. amazing support for new and old hardware. drivers are usually just there so no searching. its not windows.

Cons: picking a distro is daunting, theres a lot of them. issues with suspend hibernate so a bit of tweaking, games for some, it's power hungry on battery, it's not windows so for many thats a con. no start button control panel etc. file system layout like c: d: is different and thats confusing at first. if it breaks you have to fix it. it doesnt run exe files. you can get wine but..

MAC
idk i've never used it. it's built on Unix tho, specifically freebsd. osx is just a face so it was designed by the best underneath. research unix, you'll see what i mean. it's actually called darwin, and those freebsd guys are crazy paranoid about security.

Basically if you dont care and just want what everyone else has, use windows. If you want to get the most out of your pc, try linux. hell you dont even need to install it to try it, you can put a live distro on a pen drive, reboot, and take it for a spin without messing up windows.

Last edited:

spirit

Staff member
Yeah as said before it really comes down to what you want to do and what you're used to.

For the OP I'd recommend Windows or Linux. Spending money on a Mac and OS X for going online and writing emails is crazy if he's already got a machine which will run Windows or Linux perfectly well.

Twiki

I'm not going to say that Windows is the best OS but it is best for everyone because of all the support available for it. It's pretty much the mainstream OS.

On my other PC I have Linux Mint installed, no Windows present at all. It's interesting and I'm learning about it. It's nice to know that there are free distros like this. So far I have internet and mail access so that's the main thing I need. Right now my sound's not working so I'll have to learn how to install drivers in Linux.

Nevertheless it's fun. :)

Okedokey

Id use Linux distro on a Intel Nuc and make an in car PC. Apart from that I would use windows.