Digitizing my DVD movie collection

Twiki

I have over 1000 DVD movies (and lots of TV seasons on DVD as well) so I thought I'd make use of the 500g HDD out of my old security system DVR. I bought a removable drive bay for my PC from Newegg.

I started with my keepers and see how much drive I had left after this job. I'm on my second round for more keepers. I got 236 in and and almost halfway through the drive.

Now I have this problem with DVD with two movies on one side. Will the ripper do both or just the first one?

I'm using Handbrake and Wonderfox.

Agent Smith

Hmmm, I'm thinkng both movies can be accessed through the onscreen menu? If so then you should be fine ripping the DVD.

Twiki

Huh you're right. I think Wonderfox gives me that option. Gotta check that out. Thanks.

Agent Smith

I'm in the other boat. I need to transfer VHS tapes to digital and then burn that to DVD or blu-ray. I have about 6 VHS tapes I used to record the events as they transpired on 9/11. Pretty crazy day. Watching them again there was so much misinformation and speculation about bombs being on the Brooklyn bridge, etc. And that's the way the news goes.

I also have a DVD of CNN coverage of that day that has three audio tracks. One is for the CNN audio, one is for Fire/EMS radio traffic synced to the timeline of events, and another audio track is of police radio traffic synced to the timeline as events transpired. A user at Radioreference.com many years ago created it and uploaded it to TPB where I downloaded it. Pretty surreal hearing fire/EMS traffic. That radio traffic is on the net free to download, but I can't remember the website now.

I also need to dub a mini cassette tape of John Glen that went back into space at like age 70 I think it was in circa '97. I recorded it off my scanner. When the space shuttle went up the Ham repeater here would often simulcast NASA audio and that's how I got the space shuttle coms including interviews with television stations asking John Glenn all kinds of questions. I bought another mini recorder on eBay (asinine price) so I could record the audio to CD. I was going to write John Glen and send him a copy, but would you believe he passed just a week before I was going to send it to him?

I so need to contact Chuck Yeager and get his signature. I have several of famous people. Many of Kirsten Dunst in fact. Well, I only had a crush on her back then. LOL When I saw this snap in Maxim back in circa '99, I fell in love. :D http://www.strangecosmos.com/images/content/7161.jpg

I have two copies of that mag.

Anyway....

Twiki

Seems that Wonderfox only do the first movie on the disk. Oh well.

376 movies in and 111 gigs (of 465) left. On 3rd round now and looking up on iMDB to see if it's worth copying.

strollin

It's about time you digitized your DVD collection. I encouraged you to do it months ago....

Twiki

LOL, I know. I'm doing it because I pulled the HDD out of my old DVR and bought a removable drive caddy on a lark.

I'm still keeping my DVDs.

Twiki

Finally finished the collection. 415 movies in drive and 74 gigs left. I still have 50 odd DVDs to watch and add what worth digitizing.

Twiki

I just ordered an 1TB HDD from Newegg. It's the same as my PC's main drive which is the Seagate Constellation Enterprise. When I bought the HDD while building this PC it was $120. My new SCE HDD is $50 new! WTH?

Nevertheless, my HDD's 7 years old and still solid. The new HDD will replace the 500 gig HDD and I can get all the DVDs in except for a few that refused to be ripped.

Darren

Staff member
I just ordered an 1TB HDD from Newegg. It's the same as my PC's main drive which is the Seagate Constellation Enterprise. When I bought the HDD while building this PC it was $120. My new SCE HDD is $50 new! WTH?

Nevertheless, my HDD's 7 years old and still solid. The new HDD will replace the 500 gig HDD and I can get all the DVDs in except for a few that refused to be ripped.
Coulda gotten a 2TB for a whopping 5 dollars more.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod...9&cm_re=2tb_hard_drive-_-22-148-619-_-Product

upload_2018-6-5_21-32-55.png

Twiki

Well shit. :confused:

ETA:

Maybe I didn't do so bad. The 2 TB has a bad rep. The 1 TB is better.

By the way, they're new old stock. The warranties are long gone but Newegg will cover them for a year.

Last edited:

Darren

Staff member
Well shit. :confused:

ETA:

Maybe I didn't do so bad. The 2 TB has a bad rep. The 1 TB is better.

By the way, they're new old stock. The warranties are long gone but Newegg will cover them for a year.
I was going to say those are pretty old looking specs and didn't think they made those drives anymore. You can get a WD Blue 2TB for $60 as well. :D

Agent Smith

I wouldn't touch Seagate with a ten foot pole. I've had countless Seagate drives fail on me. In fact just recently a Seagate laptop drive has borked on me. I can't even format it. I buy Hitachi anymore. So far so good. Granted everything has a MTBF. That's why I do backups and clones.

Twiki

I'm sorry you had such failures. I didn't and it's uncanny how some have success while others don't. Seems like Karma in a way.

It's like Chevy and Ford, we have our favorites. That's not to say I won't get a dud though.

Agent Smith

I actually think they should bring back the Quantum Fireball HDDs. LOL I have a few that when plugged in sound like a turbine, but I can still read and write data to them. These drives are at least 20 years old.