Digitizing my DVD movie collection

Twiki

Now copying the movies over to my new drive, all 415 of em. :cool:

The new drive is really quiet. Sound like a keeper. By the way, it's a 2013 model.

Last edited:

Twiki

Just learned today that I was circumventing the copy protection to rip my DVDs so what I did was illegal even if I was archiving my own collection.

My drive had been reformatted. It is empty.

Darren

Staff member
Just learned today that I was circumventing the copy protection to rip my DVDs so what I did was illegal even if I was archiving my own collection.

My drive had been reformatted. It is empty.
... Really? I thought that was a given, it's always been illegal to do that, as stated at the start of every DVD I've watched.

That said it's ridiculous that you can't save your own collection digitally. I've got an external terabyte drive nearly full of movies/shows from... places.

Vast majority I paid to see in theaters or bought a physical version at one point.

Twiki

When a fellow member mentioned that what I did was illegal I looked it up. He was right because I was going through the copy protection to get it. Even still, if it doesn't it's illegal to make copies for archival purposes.

As long as I own the DVD collection I'm good but I own the media not the contents because of the intellectual rights. You may not know about it but they sent everyone on the net the notice of changes in intellectual properties. That includes the pics you download, they are protected by copyrights.

Darren

Staff member
When a fellow member mentioned that what I did was illegal I looked it up. He was right because I was going through the copy protection to get it. Even still, if it doesn't it's illegal to make copies for archival purposes.

As long as I own the DVD collection I'm good but I own the media not the contents because of the intellectual rights. You may not know about it but they sent everyone on the net the notice of changes in intellectual properties. That includes the pics you download, they are protected by copyrights.

I'm more just saying I don't necessarily adhere to those rules at all times as I personally find them ridiculous. Was just surprised you didn't already know that I guess.

Not encouraging anything one way or another. It's pretty safe to assume everything is under some sort of intellectual copyright unless explicity stated otherwise. My brother is a concept artist (works for a big media company) and dad is a lawyer so I'm somewhat familiar with copyright stuff.

Darren

Staff member
I'm sure you do so what is it when it comes to archiving your own possessions?
Like my own DVD's and stuff? I don't. I stream all my music with Google Play (paid subscription) and for everything else (movies and shows) I.... download.... and store for personal use on my external HDD. I'm in process of getting a media server set up so I can access it anywhere.

Twiki

Well shit! I uninstalled all the DVD ripping programs and my DVD drive disappeared with them.

What a headache. I had to delete all reference to DVD drive in the Registry and Device Manager. Uninstalling the devices doesn't work so I had to go in there and hand pick the elements.

By the way Agent, yep. I ripped my DVD movies to single files and it's the same song.

But I converted mp3s to audio tracks on CDs so I can play em in my car. I'm such a bad boy. :p

Shlouski

VIP Member
I was interested to see the comments on Seagate HDD's, I mostly only use Seagate and they have been fine, I've had very old drives die like 10+ years but nothing new, its Toshiba drives that seem to die on me. I think most people have their own perspective when it comes to manufacturers reliability/unreliability, based a lot on word of mouth and personal experience and may not necessarily reflect the truth, I like to see stats whenever possible. For me personally Corsair make the most unreliable PSU's, I have owned about 7 and all but 1 has died in less than a year, four died in the same PC, first was DOA, second had arcing problems, third the fan failed and overheated and the fourth died after a few months, so I bought a club3d PSU that's been working for years. I think most would disagree with me if I said "corsair make bad PSU's" (so I won't), in fact they have a good rep as far as I know, but I'm still (I think understandably) weary of their PSU's.

Don't try to make sense of copyright law, you might hurt yourself.

Can one use ignorance as a defense then? ;)

I'm more just saying I don't necessarily adhere to those rules at all times as I personally find them ridiculous.

Agreed, Also I really don't think anyone is going to be bothered about people backing up their stuff, I think they seek mostly to stop those whom are profiting off their intellectual property and are potentially causing adverse effects.

Darren

Staff member
Agreed, Also I really don't think anyone is going to be bothered about people backing up their stuff, I think they seek mostly to stop those whom are profiting off their intellectual property and are potentially causing adverse effects.

Ehh, AT&T and HBO might have had a word with me at one point or another... :p

As far as HDD's go, all the manufacturers are fine. WD is probably the most widely used by I have had no problems with Seagate drives (except some of their older 2TB+ drives were absolutely hot garbage and known to fail constantly). I worked in a shop for 2 years so did hundreds of hard drive replacements and it's all brands with no brand in particular sticking out as failing more than others. Same can not be said about laptop brands, but IMO a hard drive is a hard drive with a few exceptions.

I think you're jinx'd on the Corsair front. Their PSU's are great, use them pretty much exclusively. Even their "cheap" CX series are ones I put in almost every build I've done and most are still going 5+ years later.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
I think you're jinx'd on the Corsair front. Their PSU's are great, use them pretty much exclusively. Even their "cheap" CX series are ones I put in almost every build I've done and most are still going 5+ years later.
Yeah, I agree with that statement. I've been using Corsair for building clients systems and haven't had one fail yet.

Twiki

Interesting threads. I can tell you about Corsair PSUs. They are just a name they put on from various makers. Some good some not so good. CXs are from CWT who had a rep of making shoddy products. I've heard that they've cleaned up and are probably ok now but I wouldn't count on it. Some of their PSUs are made by Seasonic and this is the maker I go for.

I have a Corsair CX430 PSU in my budget build, the i3 system. The i5 system I'm running on is built with good parts including the Seasonic 520M PSU.

Darren

Staff member
Interesting threads. I can tell you about Corsair PSUs. They are just a name they put on from various makers. Some good some not so good. CXs are from CWT who had a rep of making shoddy products. I've heard that they've cleaned up and are probably ok now but I wouldn't count on it. Some of their PSUs are made by Seasonic and this is the maker I go for.

I have a Corsair CX430 PSU in my budget build, the i3 system. The i5 system I'm running on is built with good parts including the Seasonic 520M PSU.

Some of the earlier CX units yes weren't as reliable as the newer ones, but even then most of the ones I've used are 5+ and probably from the CWT days. My current one ran an FX 8320 and R9 390, some of the most power hungry components ever made :D, overclocked to snot for 2+ years and it didn't even blink.

Shlouski

VIP Member
I usually buy a brand call NOX, seem to be priced well and solid.

I think you're jinx'd on the Corsair front

Maybe, but forgive me if I don't run out and start buying their PSU's :), I love their ram though, got some of my best overclocks with them. lol I just remembered that the only working corsair PSU I have is in this pc, damn, you don't think I read what I :eek:

Twiki

I usually buy a brand call NOX, seem to be priced well and solid.

You probably got the one made by Super Flower which is an excellent maker. They also have CWT and Huizhou Xin Hui Yuan Tech

Tell me your model and I'll tell you what you have.

Darren

Staff member
You probably got the one made by Super Flower which is an excellent maker. They also have CWT and Huizhou Xin Hui Yuan Tech

Tell me your model and I'll tell you what you have.
Didn't you read his sig?

It's an electric one. Duh.