directx 10

Redbull{wings}

i cant afford to buy two graphics cards so my question is simple, is directx 10 going to be a whole lot different from directx 9 as far as graphics cards go? or would i be better off waiting for directx 10 and buying my ard then

PC eye

banned
Vista will only require a DX9 capable video card. DX10 like the previous versions is simply a basic update for 3D rendering and not a mandate for buying a new card. Most of the cards seen at vendors even many older models are DX9 compliant already. DX10 will update the existing even older DX8 model cards when installed. Often you won't even notice any difference when going from one DX version to the next.

P11

VIP Member
Vista will only require a DX9 capable video card. DX10 like the previous versions is simply a basic update for 3D rendering and not a mandate for buying a new card. Most of the cards seen at vendors even many older models are DX9 compliant already. DX10 will update the existing even older DX8 model cards when installed. Often you won't even notice any difference when going from one DX version to the next.

That sounds very incorrect. Direct X10 will only be utilized on DX10 capable Video cards. All other GPU's will just emulate DX10 which is the same as DX9. As far as we know the transtition from 9-10 could be the largest ever because of its release with Vista.

PC eye

banned
That sounds very incorrect. Direct X10 will only be utilized on DX10 capable Video cards. All other GPU's will just emulate DX10 which is the same as DX9. As far as we know the transtition from 9-10 could be the largest ever because of its release with Vista.

Let's see what the Vista requirements have to say on this.
A Windows Vista Capable PC includes at least:
  • A modern processor (at least 800MHz1).
  • 512 MB of system memory.
  • A graphics processor that is DirectX 9 capable.
Windows Vista Premium Ready PCs
To get an even better Windows Vista experience, including the Windows Aero user experience, ask for a Windows Vista Capable PC that is designated Premium Ready, or choose a PC that meets or exceeds the Premium Ready requirements described below. Features available in specific premium editions of Windows Vista, such as the ability to watch and record live TV, may require additional hardware.

A Windows Vista Premium Ready PC includes at least:
  • 1 GHz 32-bit (x86) or 64-bit (x64) processor1.
  • 1 GB of system memory.
  • A graphics processor that runs Windows Aero2.
  • 128 MB of graphics memory.
  • 40 GB of hard drive capacity with 15 GB free space.
  • DVD-ROM Drive3.
  • Audio output capability.
  • Internet access capability. http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvista/getready/capable.mspx

34erd

PC eye, those are the vista requirements. Vista can run DX9 if you don't have a DX10 card, and in fact the desktop is DX9.

DX10, on the other hand, will NOT be compatible with DX9 cards. You have to have a DX10 card, or your not gonna be running it. Unlike older DX updates you can't install it on previous hardware.

The improvements of DX10 are not so much image quality as performance. You can do almost enything in DX9 but DX10 will allow you to do it with much greater performance.

Take a look at these series of articles on DX10:

http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1697,1982031,00.asp
http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1697,1985149,00.asp
http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1697,1986909,00.asp
http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1697,1989495,00.asp

PC eye

banned
Direct3D 10 Technology Preview Samples and applications built with the Direct3D ® 10 Technology Preview in the August 2006 DirectX ® SDK require Windows ® Vista TM RC1 to run. The Windows Vista RC1 will be available to MSDN ® subscribers.
Developers will notice that syntax has changed for several of the Direct3D 10 core APIs between the Windows Vista Beta 2 and Windows Vista RC1. Several APIs have been added, renamed, or removed. For a full list of changes, please refer to the August release notes. http://msdn.microsoft.com/directx/sdk/ DX10 will be optional on Vista.

Redbull{wings}

thanks for the feedback guys and i really appreciate the articles as ive been looking for something like those but what i really wanna know is wether its worth it from a gamers point of veiw to wait for the directx10 card as far as new games go or will a directx9 card play them fine? also, if any1 knows will directx10 cards be fairly more expensive than comparible directx9 cards?

StrangleHold

Staff member
Go ahead, if you wait for cards that will run in DirectX 10, You them will be waiting for the DirectX 11 cards

PC eye

banned
If you want a DX10 card just wait until 2008 and plan on running a full not beta version of Vista there. Gee just to update to the next DX I'm going to have spend $500+ on a new video card? :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: !!!!!!

Redbull{wings}

well i plan on building my new rig in a couple years(right before i get to college) so i just want a graphics card that will last me for a couple years playing new games and if a directx9 card wont do it then i dont wanna waste money...

Geoff

VIP Member
I use an AGP. Do you think they will make the Ditrex 10 in AGP?

I have my doubts, but i'm hoping they do as well. Even though if they do, it will most likely be a lower end model, such as some of the 7300 AGP cards of today.

Saurian

It's not a matter of upgrading just for DX10, but if you're going to upgrade and DX10-compliance will be arriving soon, why buy now? Sure, there's the argument of "if you wait for that, you might as well wait for the next ship."

That said, AGP is done. I'd be surprised if the next generation of chips support it. Plus, its only like 80-100 for a new motherboard, and another 100-200 for a "low end" chip for the new boards that likely performs better then past-date technology.

PC eye

banned
AAwww Geeee :( You won't see DX10 on an AGP card by 2008 since very few if any card manufacturers would still be producing them. The costs on a PCI-E 16x card is down too far now for AGP to last much longer. And why can't you run XP or Vista with DX 9 for a few years? DX 10 will be an "option" and will not run on XP. Gosh I got to tell those 98 folks to grab XP cds now! :eek:

Redbull{wings}

i plan on upgrading to vista(i hope) but only if i can get it(legally of course i just dont wanna spend a whole lot) i just want to know if i get a directx9 card will it play new directx10 games at decent settings? i just need it for mayb 4 years....

PC eye

banned
i plan on upgrading to vista(i hope) but only if i can get it(legally of course i just dont wanna spend a whole lot) i just want to know if i get a directx9 card will it play new directx10 games at decent settings? i just need it for mayb 4 years....

DX10 games? Vista won't be coming out with DX10 in it. That will remain an option. Vista will have DX 9c there. It will be a few years before games demand DX10 if that remains an option even on a Vista 2nd edition? Since most everyone will still be using DX 9 I imagine that game designers will probably develop a patch for DX 10 capability there at first. If game makers rush into requiring DX 10 on all new games we'll all be in a big hurt there along with them not selling many.