directx 10

Redbull{wings}

so what youre saying is directx10 will actully take a while before it is standard so id be fine with a driectx9 card for the time being?

PC eye

banned
With DX 10 being a different type of update having a specific file running in Vista as well as hardware requirements added on top people won't be rushing out to spend some $500 or any other large price for the latest card just for 10 when DX 9 will work just fine. Hopefully MS will be smart enough to at least develop a patch to install DX 10 older versions like XP as well as being able to run it on older model cards to some degree. IE 7 beta has been a flop so far from the complaints I still hear on it. But it appears that the latest DX is still in development until 2008. Until it is actually out everything now is more speculation rather then fact.

34erd

DX10 games? Vista won't be coming out with DX10 in it.
Yes it will...

Vista will have DX 9c there.
DX9L actualy, for the desktop only.

It will be a few years before games demand DX10 if that remains an option even on a Vista 2nd edition?
Ever heard of Crysis?

i plan on upgrading to vista(i hope) but only if i can get it(legally of course i just dont wanna spend a whole lot) i just want to know if i get a directx9 card will it play new directx10 games at decent settings? i just need it for mayb 4 years....
To answer your question, yes, DX9 cards will be able to play DX10 games fairly well. For example, most of the stuff crytek has been doing with crysis is all DX9. As for lasting four years, your going to have crappy performance after four years wether you've got a DX9 or 10 card.

Last edited:

PC eye

banned
Yes it will...

"Direct3D 10 Technology Preview Samples and applications built with the Direct3D ® 10 Technology Preview in the August 2006 DirectX ® SDK require Windows ® Vista TM RC1 to run. The Windows Vista RC1 will be available to MSDN ® subscribers.
Developers will notice that syntax has changed for several of the Direct3D 10 core APIs between the Windows Vista Beta 2 and Windows Vista RC1. Several APIs have been added, renamed, or removed. For a full list of changes, please refer to the August release notes." http://msdn.microsoft.com/directx/sdk/

"ExtremeTech: A lot of people are complaining, "Oh, why won't we have DirectX 10 for Windows XP." There's a good technical explanation for that, where it's really not possible to do what DX10 does in the Windows XP driver model. http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1697,1982033,00.asp

A Windows Vista Capable PC includes at least:
  • A modern processor (at least 800MHz1).
  • 512 MB of system memory.
  • A graphics processor that is DirectX 9 capable.

ADE

banned
Will games really be all that different in Directx 10? I mean come on, Isn't directx just a shading level? And really, even if it's not just that, how much more better can the looks of games get?

PC eye

banned
DIrect X is a little more involved then the video card you use. Surround sound will or may see a noticable improvement. The graphics part of Direct is for 3D rendering. But while everybody is concerned about getting a DX 10 video card they overlook the audio like how that effects EAX for instance. If you can't play games due to not having a DX 10 when running Vista for not having a DX video card then you would also have to put onboard sound aside since that wouldn't be DX 10 compliant. When you eventually upgrade to Vista you still will be able to run you present DX 9 ready video and sound.

PC eye

banned
What is Vista and does upgrading cost money?

Vista is the latest version of Microsoft's Windows operating system. It will have five different versions available when released. The beta versions are currently available if you are an MSDN subscriber for free download and evaluation. Retail prices will be set on each version when the five versions are released for retail marketing.

PC eye

banned
New releases of any version of Windows run from $180-200+ depending whether it is a home or pro version geared for business. Presently you can grab a full install XP cd with Service Pack 2 included for about $80 after the three+ years it has been out. With support for 98SE already gone for over a year now ME and 2000 will be the next dropped by MS. In few more XP will certainly wane there as well.

Redbull{wings}

To answer your question, yes, DX9 cards will be able to play DX10 games fairly well. For example, most of the stuff crytek has been doing with crysis is all DX9. As for lasting four years, your going to have crappy performance after four years wether you've got a DX9 or 10 card.

i dont mind crappy performance as im not an avid gamer i just dont want to buy a brand new card now and have it go useless on me in a year if need be ill just play everything on low settings :p

PC eye

banned
The default versions of Vista will come without DX10 included. When jumping from DX8 to 9 there wasn't any big difference in game performance. You will probably see that many of the newer games will still see requirements for DX9 for a couple of years until everything is running DX10. Pc hardwares go useless in a year's time already as soon as a new card or cpu is out. Your new system will lose some 80% of it's retail value in under two years time.

Diamondsleeper

What do you think is going to happen? What's been happening over the past 10 years? Of course your going to have to buy new stuff. I just had to buy a new M.B. for PCI express. You have to spend money to keep up with the latest and greatest.. as always. What makes you think thats going to change now? I'm sure X10 will be backwards compatible but to see all its benefits I'm sure I'm gonna need new hardware.

Last edited:

SirKenin

banned
Vista comes with DX10.. As mentioned the desktop is DX9. Also, if you're not planning on upgrading to Vista, don't worry about a DX10 card because DX10 won't be made available for XP. Sooo.. My thinking is that there's no sense worrying about DX10 cards really, because it wouldn't make sense for developers to focus on strictly DX10 games. They would shut out a significant portion of the market. It's going to take a long time for Vista to be the mainstream OS.

Besides. The first game I tried to run in Vista with DX10 was Quake 4 and it gave me nothing but hassles. In fact I never did get it to run so I just went back to XP Pro and satisfied myself with that.

PC eye

banned
Now we are going to finally see a showdown between Vista and Linux over DX10? That will be something to watch.

Redbull{wings}

wow old topic lol but thats fine ive been thinking about this upgrade

will xp work on a directx10 card? or if i buy one will i need to get vista to have a computer

PC eye

banned
Direct X has always been backward compatable to former versions of Windows to some degree. Since 64bit OSs will eventually work their way in you need a 3D rendering tool that will work there as well as on 32bit OSs. Plus you need an updated version that is supported by Vista. It will probably turn out like being able to XP on an old 95 system but not 95 on XP types.

Burgerbob

Direct3D 10 Technology Preview Samples and applications built with the Direct3D ® 10 Technology Preview in the August 2006 DirectX ® SDK require Windows ® Vista TM RC1 to run. The Windows Vista RC1 will be available to MSDN ® subscribers.
Developers will notice that syntax has changed for several of the Direct3D 10 core APIs between the Windows Vista Beta 2 and Windows Vista RC1. Several APIs have been added, renamed, or removed. For a full list of changes, please refer to the August release notes. http://msdn.microsoft.com/directx/sdk/ DX10 will be optional on Vista.

So what did that have to do with anything?