directx 10

PC eye

banned
[-0MEGA-];444239 said:
Nothing, just another one of his random copy and paste without any credit posts. :)

If you bothered to "read" you would have noticed "DX10 will be optional on Vista." which is the subject of this thread. :rolleyes:

Saurian

PC Eye, you do realise those "Minimum requirements" you are posting are for the stripped down, naked version of Vista, right? Remember the whole 5 different levels of it. Well, the first level is the "I have nothing to offer because I have no eye candy adn will only eat more resources then XP" version. That version will run DX9c (Or DX9L, I didn't know that they were making a 9 revision, cool). That version is backwards compatible. That version is what gives products today "vista-ready" significance. In order to get teh other versions of Vista, the ones that ARE Vista (What the programmers and everybody MEANT it to be) you will need to move on to upgrading to a DX10 graphics card.

You can copy and paste those requirements all you want, but it doesn't matter. You are pasting the requirements for the no eye candy version. They're not going to admit and scare people with the fact that processors 3-4 years old may have trouble keeping up, teh fact that 1GB will become the standard minimum rather then 512 like today, and that you will need the DX10 card to really enjoy yourself, which at first those cards are going to be quite expensive until mainstream solutions are rolled out.

MIK3daG33K

I would personally suggest waiting.

Agreed.

That sounds very incorrect. Direct X10 will only be utilized on DX10 capable Video cards. All other GPU's will just emulate DX10 which is the same as DX9. As far as we know the transtition from 9-10 could be the largest ever because of its release with Vista.

Double Agreed. I would wait and buy the card after Vista has come out. Why waste your money now when you could waste it later.

Geoff

VIP Member
The biggest thing I think that will come of Vista and DX10, is the ability to have a similar design to what the Xbox has. With the Xbox, you can have great looking graphics on sub-par hardware. With Vista, it will use similar technology, and they say it can improve games up to 35%.

SirKenin

banned
That sounds very incorrect. Direct X10 will only be utilized on DX10 capable Video cards. All other GPU's will just emulate DX10 which is the same as DX9. As far as we know the transtition from 9-10 could be the largest ever because of its release with Vista.

I must have skipped over this the first time by accident. :eek:

In all the revisions of DirectX I have ever seen, no previous card emulated any further revisions of DirectX, so I'm going to have to disagree on that point. If you do tests, you will notice that the new features to be tested will not be available, and the tests are skipped. This is particularly obvious if you use 3dMark to test VGA capabilities.

If the feature isn't available, it isn't available, that's all there is to it.

PC eye

banned
You can copy and paste those requirements all you want, but it doesn't matter. You are pasting the requirements for the no eye candy version. They're not going to admit and scare people with the fact that processors 3-4 years old may have trouble keeping up, teh fact that 1GB will become the standard minimum rather then 512 like today, and that you will need the DX10 card to really enjoy yourself, which at first those cards are going to be quite expensive until mainstream solutions are rolled out.

No "eye candy" here. The following is direct off a developers page.

These computers having the following minimum specification:

Features - Attributes - Capabilities
512MB of memory

CPU score equivalent to a 3.2Ghz P4 or a 3200+ AMD K7 or K8 CPU

60FPS 1080i VM high definition glitch free capable

DVD optical drive

Memory bandwidth score of 3.5GB/sec definition audio

1280 x 1024 capable graphics sub-system and monitor
hard drive score of 50MB/sec aggregate

128MB of graphics memory D3D Score of 100Efps

Vertex/Pixel shader 2 capable hardware (DX9 support in hardware)

VDDM driver

CPU with SSE2 support

These computers should readily support a composted desktop and at a minimum the Aero Express theme.Most of these computers should be able to run Aero Glass at an acceptable performance level with lighter work loads from other applications running.

These computers are well suited for basic Media Center scenarios (for example, two tuners) but may not be well suited for more complex or full featured scenarios including 4+ tuners, high definition streaming to media extenders and supporting gaming with simultaneous PVR.

These computers should run all but the most demanding first person shooters and other D3D intensive high frame rate games in their recommended modes.

This computer meet the minimum capability requirements for the gold logo. These computers easily run Aero Glass and may even run a more advanced Aero theme. http://windowssdk.msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms737388.aspx

Last edited:

ETSA

Excuse me for not reading all the posts, but won't there just be an upgrade to dx10 after it comes out for the games that require it?

I remember back in the day having to install dx(can't remember) for diablo 2 when it came out. I am sure thinsg have changed since but, dx10 is dx10, right?

PC eye

banned
At first it was labeled Direct3D 10 since it will be an option for Vista. It won't run on XP or any earlier versions of Windows. The main reason you won't see Vista coming with it already included is so you can upgrade to Vista on your current system if it meets the minimum requirements. DX 9L will come with Vista by default.

SirKenin

banned
Excuse me for not reading all the posts, but won't there just be an upgrade to dx10 after it comes out for the games that require it?

I remember back in the day having to install dx(can't remember) for diablo 2 when it came out. I am sure thinsg have changed since but, dx10 is dx10, right?

Vista is being released with DX10. In fact, the beta is already utilizing an incomplete version of it. It will never be made available for XP. It appears to be a complete revamp of the code. All I know is that I tried to get my Quake to run on it and it wouldn't. Take that for whatever it's worth.

PC eye

banned
The minimum system requirements for running Vista are not quite as large as some would assume. Vista Premium will run on a system with a 1ghz cpu, 1gb of ram, and a 128mb video card that is 9X capable nothing less. For a look at the general information on the 6 versions being released starting in Jan. 1007 review a lengthy page at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Vista

"Microsoft’s upcoming Vista also plans to use DirectX 10 along with DirectX 9. They will plan on using both kits simultaneously. But users should take the good news with a grain of salt since they won’t really be able to take full advantage of DirectX 10." http://news.softpedia.com/news/DirectX-10-s-Debut-14772.shtml

Beyond DirectX 10 - A glance at DirectX 10.1 http://www.elitebastards.com/cms/in...sk=view&id=103&Itemid=29&limit=1&limitstart=0

34erd

The minimum system requirements for running Vista are not quite as large as some would assume. Vista Premium will run on a system with a 1ghz cpu, 1gb of ram, and a 128mb video card that is 9X capable nothing less. For a look at the general information on the 6 versions being released starting in Jan. 1007 review a lengthy page at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Vista

"Microsoft’s upcoming Vista also plans to use DirectX 10 along with DirectX 9. They will plan on using both kits simultaneously. But users should take the good news with a grain of salt since they won’t really be able to take full advantage of DirectX 10." http://news.softpedia.com/news/DirectX-10-s-Debut-14772.shtml

Beyond DirectX 10 - A glance at DirectX 10.1 http://www.elitebastards.com/cms/in...sk=view&id=103&Itemid=29&limit=1&limitstart=0

Yeah. Everyone gets it. You posted that like five times already. Actually, everyone else said all of that, and then you copied and pasted it from another source. We get the point. You know everything about DX 10.

SirKenin

banned
Yeah. Everyone gets it. You posted that like five times already. Actually, everyone else said all of that, and then you copied and pasted it from another source. We get the point. You know everything about DX 10.

He's trying to prove his superiority.... Leave him be damnit... :p