dirty dirty computer

clashboard

my computer (XP) has started to run slowly. Every minute my computer will just freeze for 5 seconds. So I did a virus scan, ad-aware and spybot. but nothing.

Also, lavasoft released a new version of ad-aware (SE) which I downloaded. When I start the scan, a windows box pops up saying I did something illegal and that the NT/admin or something is going to shut down my computer and I need to save my work. There's a 60 second countdown and then it restarts my computer. Very bizarre. I attached a picture below.

Could it be that ad-aware is detecting a virus or something bad and that virus is trying to avoid being caught and removed??? what's the deal? Or is there something wrong with this new version of ad-aware? I keep seeing stuff about safemode or system restore, (do I need to do that stuff) I'm hoping this new version of ad-aware will solve some of the problems ailing my PC (and ME!!)

These are two new problems in addition to the other annoying things I've put up with, including the annoying doubleclick.net, "traffic marketplace" and incredifind pop-ups that I can't find solutions to. Also, the many unfamiliar programs listed in the "add/remove program" list in the control panel. I HATE COMPUTERS!!!!!!ARGH!!! :mad: My computer isn't even a year old, and it's starting to run like my former 5-year-old Pentium 2 with windows 98!!!

Attachments

• RPC.jpg
    RPC.jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 216
Last edited:

nomav6

I had this virus once, I forgot the name of it though (sorry) but Im sure that someone on here will know, but until you find out the temp fix for it is to set your firewall and it'll stop it from shuting down your system, then you'll have time to fix it, I also dont remember how I fixed it, but like I said someone here should but you should do the firewall in the mean time. And see if that keeps your pc from shutting down, which it should.

clashboard

don't have a firewall (or I do but I don't know)

I mentioned this at another forum and someone suggested downloading zonealarm. I just did, but I don't know what to do with it. Someone also said it might me worm.blaster or whatever, but I think I fixed this when it came out last summer. and it's not listed under running processes when I do ctrl alt delete.

ZER0X

VIP Member
I had this happen to me on windows 2000 you have to download a service pack from the internet to stop that from happening, i assume youd do the same with XP, it gets really annoying.

On 2000 it says SVCHOST.EXE has generated errors and you can't see nothing in program files or cant copy and paste things. I even formatted my computer and put 2k back on and it and everytime you go on the net it will display it no matter what so....
I just had to get the service pack to stop it. AND IT DID but diddn't remove the virus just stops it from happening.

Hope this helps

ZER0X

ian

Administrator
Staff member
I mentioned this at another forum and someone suggested downloading zonealarm. I just did, but I don't know what to do with it.
Have you installed it yet?

clashboard

blaster

I've installed zonealarm... it give me alerts every two seconds... still need to learn how to use it.

regarding this worm, I think fixed the sasser and blaster worm when it came out last summer. could it have returned? I went through the first steps of fixing the blaster worm, which says to end the msblaster.exe in the system process list(ctrl alt delete), but i didn't see it there.

ian

Administrator
Staff member
I've installed zonealarm... it give me alerts every two seconds... still need to learn how to use it.
When you open the main window, If you click on the section called "Alerts and logs" and switch that to off, that should lower the number of annoying pop-up alerts.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
regarding this worm, I think fixed the sasser and blaster worm when it came out last summer. could it have returned? I went through the first steps of fixing the blaster worm, which says to end the msblaster.exe in the system process list(ctrl alt delete), but I didn't see it there.
Did you apply the RPC vulnerability fix? :) Look up KB823980 ... that's the fix you wanna grab

clashboard

praetor,
Two problems that I failed to mentioned popped up when I clicked on the link you provided. When I click on the link, the window appears and then quickly disappears for no reason. I have to click on the link again, sometimes 3-5 times and the window finally stays. But sometimes it disappears again after a few minutes. Also, instead of the intended link, it sometimes redirects to www.ads234.com.

I apologize for all the drama, but I'm overwhelmed by all this mess...

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
I'm not geting a problem with any popups; it's the Microsoft site. In any case, open up the Microsoft page (www.microsoft.com), do a search in the top right for KB823980 and it should be the 2nd entry "Download Details: Security Update for WindowsXP (KB823980)"

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Did you reboot after applying the fix? It hasnt been a minute since i posted. Try unplugging the computer from the 'net or locking it down with a firewall and then running it

clashboard

hmmm... don't remember if I rebooted. I'll do that after I figure out why norton AV is popping up when I'm trying to install AVG. I uninstalled norton and rebooted after that, I'm sure.

tristan

it could be a variety of things. i would mainly check into these though. Nachi, MS Blast, MASSA

Try running stinger.exe also (google)