Do I have faulty RAM bays on my board?

spirit

Staff member
I think I may have one or more faulty RAM bays on my board - I have 4 bays in total, and I have 4GB of RAM in my PC using 2x2GB sticks. If I install the sticks in bays 2 and 4 everything works with no problems, but if I move the sticks to bays 1 and 3, I get no display. Then if I put 4x2GB sticks in to make 8GB, Windows boots but then blue screens. What's going on here? The BIOS is up-to-date. Thanks.

spirit

Staff member
I just updated the BIOS this morning it's Version 15.04 I think it's the latest one on the ASUS site and I already said I updated the BIOS in my first post. I still had problems with Windows blue screening with 8GB RAM before I updated the BIOS, and I still do now, so I think one of my sticks may be dead, but I think two of my bays may be dead now as well.

jamesd1981

Yes it is 1504, but the description says one of the fixes is improved memory compatibility.

Easy way to test it one stick at a time in each slot.

spirit

Staff member
I thought that as well, should I try all 8GBs again and see if it works, then try 6GB, then 4GB, then 2GB?

jamesd1981

No vistakid, i would put the time in to be sure.

Sit all your modules to one side, choose one 2gb stick and test it.

Start with slot 2 as you said it seems ok, if the pc starts you know that stick is fine, then go back and start from slot 1 and run to slot 4.

Then repeat for each stick individually and let us know the result.

spirit

Staff member
I tried 2 sticks, one from my 4GB configuration and one that I suspected may be dead. Here are the results.

1x2GB stick from my 4GB config:
Slot 1 - No display - MB shows RAM error LED
Slot 2 - Displays - Boots into Windows - 2GB detected
Slot 3 - No display - MB shows RAM error LED
Slot 4 - Displays - Boots into Windows - 2GB detected

1x2GB stick that I suspected may be dead:
Slot 1 - No display - MB shows RAM error LED
Slot 2 - Displays - Boots into Windows - 2GB detected
Slot 3 - No display - MB shows RAM error LED
Slot 4 - Displays - Boots into Windows - 2GB detected

I didn't bother trying each stick because the results were exactly the same. So I think I may have a problem with two of the RAM bays on my board??

spirit

Staff member
Yes I did it said to install the DIMMs 1-2-1-2 and I did that with 8GB RAM and then got a shedload of blue screens (the blue screens appeared mainly at the Windows splash-screen) and then when I installed 4GB of RAM in slots 2 and 4 it worked fine but then when I put the RAM in slots 1 and 3 I got no display... I'd like to use all my 8GB of RAM again.

jamesd1981

Yes it does seem the slots 1 and 3 could be faulty, if the ram is working in bays 2 and 4,
have you checked the bios to make sure most settings are set to auto, especially memory timings etc.

StrangleHold

Staff member
Try resetting your bios and see what happens. If its still happening, unless there is some sorta weird bios setting for the memory slots, which I doubt, you have a board problem. Since both slots are not working, I doubt its a slot problem. Probably aboard wiring problem or a faulty memory controller.

Last edited:

spirit

Staff member
I'll go and have a look in the BIOS now to see what I find. I thought the same, it's weird that two slots have gone wrong.

EDIT:: Just looked in the BIOS - "DRAM Frequency" is set to Auto - if I change it to 1333MHz (the speed of my RAM), do you reckon it'll work? I want to get a second opinion before I change it in case anything bad happens.

Last edited:

jamesd1981

Well the novatech brand is not in the support list, but the timing and voltages differ to similar memory in the support list.

All the brands on the support list with 9-9-9-24 timings are listed between 1.3 and 1.7 volts.

You can get compatibility problems with cheaper private branded memory, some boards are just fussy

Do you any other brand ddr3 memory you could try ?

spirit

Staff member
I don't I'm afraid - this is the only DDR3 RAM I've got on me right now. Is there anything in the BIOS that could be stopping it from working correctly? The DRAM Frequency is currently set to Auto but I can change it to 1333MHz, I don't know if this would help or not though? I don't really like 4GB RAM, I'd like to use all of my RAM because I run VMs and 4GB just isn't enough. The Foxconn board is on eBay right now and if my extra 4GB RAM is useless to me I may as well sell that as well and then maybe I can buy some G.Skill RipJaws RAM with that?

Last edited:

StrangleHold

Staff member
Since it works in two slots and not the other two, being supported is not the problem. Plus the supported list is really meaningless. Its just the brands they has tested and they are 100s they havent. Its really a stupid idea. The better way would be a unsuppoted list, whick would be 0. Mostly any memory that is within the right speed and size will run fine.