Do I have faulty RAM bays on my board?

spirit

Staff member
So we can be sure that my RAM isn't faulty because I just went back and tested the other DIMMs and they bring up the same problem as well, so it's a board issue? I found this thread that may be worth having a look at it, could these be possible reasons why? But I've populated A2 and B2 and A1 and B1 are empty and it's running fine.

jamesd1981

The manual mentions you have to enable the dram oc tuner in bios for memory over 1333mhz, although yours is 1333, it`s worth a try

Last edited:

spirit

Staff member
Right OK so I'll do that and then set the DRAM frequency to 1333MHz. Thanks for the all the help btw.

Edit: Right OK in the BIOS everything is set to Auto regarding RAM, and even when I changed the DRAM Frequency from Auto to 1333MHz and tired with 8GB, I got a display, but then when Window booted it got through the splash-screen and then blue screened and promptly restarted. Do you reckon cleaning the slots or taking a can of air to them would work?

Last edited:

StrangleHold

Staff member
Have you made sure its running at its default timing and voltage, setting it to auto doesnt guarantee that. If they are, its says the default voltage is 1.8/1.9, manually set the voltage to 1.9V if its at 1.8V. If that doesnt help you could try bumping up your northbridge/memory controller Voltage alittle.

spirit

Staff member
I looked in the BIOS and I honestly have no clue what any of what is written on the screen means, so I took a photo of it - see here and here. Can somebody with a bit more knowledgeable than myself look at the pics and help me get everything correctly set-up?

StrangleHold

Staff member
Its suppost to be 9-9-9-24. The bios looks like it has it at 7-8-7-20. With it running with two sticks. Use CPUz and see wat it shows under the Memory Tab/not the SPD Tab.

spirit

Staff member
Its suppost to be 9-9-9-24. The bios looks like it has it at 7-8-7-20. With it running with two sticks. Use CPUz and see wat it shows under the Memory Tab/not the SPD Tab.
That's what I thought as well, here is CPU-Z

cpuz-1.png

Also DRAM frequency only 664MHz? Should be 1333MHz? So timings too fast, frequency too low?

StrangleHold

Staff member
The speed is fine, Its DDR, so it really only runs at 666mhz. But the timing is to low/fast. Need to manually set it to 9-9-9-24, could even try the CR at 2T if the timing adjustment doesnt work.

spirit

Staff member
OK so in the BIOS when I go to adjust the CAS# Latency do I need to change it to 9 [9 DRAM Clock] to make the timings 9-9-9-24 like they should be?

spirit

Staff member
Looks to me at the moment it's running at 7-8-7-20 - will change to 9-9-9-24 now!

EDIT: StrangleHold, thanks for the help, it worked! 8GB detected in Windows! So as I say, thanks for all the help! :)

Last edited: