does anyone has a reason to use Windows(pc) and not mac?

PC eye

banned
If you connect to the internet in any way, shape, or form you could be put in that catagory then. There's simply too crap floating around and too many ways of finding something on your system. The smart user on the other hand learns how to clean infections off of a drive without a need to reformat it. Knowing how to use the tools available plus finding special removers if needed are plus points there. Manually removing infected files along with manual edits of the system registry to remove "strange" values created there is a bonus.

MyCattMaxx

I was a bit harsh with my statements! Yes I own a MAC have had a couple over the years my first was a Lisa if I remember right. I do not even have any of my Macs hooked up right now. I have never had a virus because I am carefull and run a lot of security apps. I also don't go to strange web sites or download stuff I don't trust. I do not accept mail from people I do not know, I do not use outlook or any bad bill mail apps ex for Hotmail.

alexandergre

also, microsoft office and Msn Messenger?
Microsfot could give not the permession to Apple, and everyone should buy a pc and not mac, and then just a few people were Mac users. do you think that Microsoft did wrong or?
hole the world use Microsoft office, (word, excel,powerpoind...). if it wasnt possible to run office on Mac then everyone should buy PC.
i think microsoft did wrong.

4W4K3

VIP Member
Mainly gaming. It is ridiculous to tell someone to go and spend MORE money on a seperate machine to game on, when there current machine works just fine. I would definetly be pissed if I had to use a Mac, and because of that ALSO had to go and spend hundreds on an XBOX360. Not to mention console gaming is not something I enjoy, I like the user ability with PC gaming to go and edit my games, make my own levels, use cheats, etc.

You'll also find people (like myself) "grew up" with Windows. We are used to it and we like it. If you are trying to tell me that Windows is a huge security risk and it has a million holes and bla bla bla, etc. Well that's nice, to datte I've never had a problem with that. I keep my computer secure and I leave it running 24/7, I game online and frequently transfer files/data across the internet using IM clients and P2P programs. No viruses or trojans or secuirty risks yet.

Alot of people like Mac due to ease of use and user friendly GUI. Well maybe I'm a super genius...but Windows is easy enough for me to use. In fact I'm quite familiar with it, switching to a Mac interface would be "difficult" for me, I'd have to re-learn alot of things and break old habits.
Mac's also sport great security and supposedly a bullet proof OS. But that doesn't appeal to me. Why? Well, as I said ealier, my Windows machine runs great, no viruses or trojans, I'm not constantly having to fight off hackers etc. And all I have running is a free AV program, nothing else.

Maybe if my Windows machine was difficult to use, or it had loads of viruses and malware issues...maybe then I'd consider a Mac. But it runs great, it has no malware issues, so the incentive to switch to Mac is...nothing really.

tlarkin

VIP Member
4W4k3-

Yup all valid reasons to like windows, and yes I have a windows box too that has not seen a virus or spyware or malware in over 6 years....

I said this from the begining its a preference in the end. They all have their advantages and disadvantages and the people who are screaming anti mac or anti pc do not fully understand the differences, nor do they understand how each of them fully works.

Things like, macs are over priced and pieces of crap, is just the lamest most ignorant statement you can say. They are actually competitively priced. There are numerous articles out there, google them, when comparing prices/performance of mac hardware.

Saying things like they aren't compatible is rubbish as well. Considering they run windows and windows apps natively now. So they are incompatable, yet they can run both mac and windows applications???? That doesn't make sense now does it?

Windows does do some things right, and others they do them horribly wrong, same with Apple. However, a Mac is way easier to lock down over a windows box any day of the week. The plethora of security holes in that OS is ridiculous. I can't tell you how many students hack their way through windows and load games and other crap on our computers here. The macs are locked down, and no one gets to run anything, because anything that requires root level access to run or install requires an administrative log in.

Just a few points to toss out there.

PC eye

banned
Administrative access? Gee? XP doesn't have "administrative access" and the ability to designate "permissions" to user accounts. Here I have to let a virus go in order to see what it does! That's about the one out of how many viruses out there? Windows also runs Quicktime and ITunes natively.

You are going to find that they have been bouncing stuff back and forth for years between the two platforms. None of these OSs are 100% fail proof. Why do you think corporations pay top money for network security consultants? To learn about the viruses that do slam Macs check out the article and links seen at http://antivirus.about.com/od/macintoshresource/

tlarkin

VIP Member
Ya quicktime and itunes, that is like saying i can run internet explorer on a mac. those apps ultimately do not make or break a deal when buying a computer.

There are known loop holes in Windows to map network drives, even when group policy is pushed from either NDS or AD. It is hard to lock a system down. i did not say there was no administrative capabilities, I was saying its harder to lock down because of the kernel and the file permissions.

As software, I was referring to final cut studio and logic Pro, two apps you can't run on windows.

pdc76

besides the truckload of games i play, the main reason i go pc is because i like to build my own computer, and not buy one that's ready out of the box. there's alot more aftermarket parts for pc. that's something that mac should think about because they look like crap imo. if i went over to a buddy's house, and he was using a mac, i'd probably ask him if he drives a vw bug as well. won't catch me on a girly looking computer.

those two dudes on the commercial "i'm a pc and i'm a mac" should be switched around. the pc dude doesn't look like he plays games, he looks like some stuffy office guy that would get totally destroyed 5 seconds into unreal tournament. the mac guy looks like he could hold his own. yeah, i think they should switch them.

4W4K3

VIP Member
That was another really big thing for me. I like to custom build my computers, and then decide the OS I want to run. If I wanted to run OSX, custom building would become very limited in terms of hardware and customization. If I want to run Windows or Linux, there is alot more support and flexibility. However if you get into stability...Mac might actualy run overclocked hardware better than Windows. Any experience anyone?

PC eye

banned
Linux is generally the most versatile OS of any. And the hardware requirements are far less then in either Windows or Mac. Start off 4mb of ram. How far do you think you would get with either Windows or Mac OS X? You wouldn't! Dig out an old IBM 286 and see if you run OS X there. You know Windows won't be able to. But when you start pointing out what Mac programs won't run on Windows try counting the volumes of softwares designed to run on MS Windows that will not run on Apple or Mac.

The actual distance between just what hardwares will run both Windows and Mac is not as large as you might think. The differences have more to do with how the different OSs are configured according to the hardwares available. When you look at an ad for Apple or Mac you are seeing what? the outer case. When you see a Windows ad you usually see HP or Dell. Gee I run two versions of XP in a case that looks like... http://img87.imageshack.us/my.php?image=aeroengine2pp4.jpg (Just remember to add two 120mm blue led fans to the clear side panel.)

tlarkin

VIP Member
That was another really big thing for me. I like to custom build my computers, and then decide the OS I want to run. If I wanted to run OSX, custom building would become very limited in terms of hardware and customization. If I want to run Windows or Linux, there is alot more support and flexibility. However if you get into stability...Mac might actualy run overclocked hardware better than Windows. Any experience anyone?

There really is no way to overclock a Mac, plus you really don't need to. The new Mac Pros with the dual xeon woodcrest chips are smoking fast as is.

4W4K3

VIP Member
There really is no way to overclock a Mac, plus you really don't need to. The new Mac Pros with the dual xeon woodcrest chips are smoking fast as is.

But that's the thing with overclocking, make it better than it already is...even if what you have is plenty fast enough. You could spend as much money as you wanted on a PC, and make it even better by overclocking it. They can make the top dollar CPU's and say they are the best out there...but the second I get my hands on one I'm going to overclock it and see if I can get more speed out of it. It's an addiction :p

tlarkin

VIP Member
In all honesty overclocking doesn't really boost real world performance, only in benchmarks and it puts more stress on your hardware. Ultimately its for bragging rights.

PC eye

banned
In all honesty overclocking doesn't really boost real world performance, only in benchmarks and it puts more stress on your hardware. Ultimately its for bragging rights.

Now you are getting the idea! I look more at what the stock system will do over a period of time with loads on it rather then cranking things up a few notches just to see a faster frame rate in a game. :rolleyes:

At one time everything ran so ssssssslowwwwww that you had to crank it up a few notches in order to get anything done. Now you have hardwares going faster then the softwares! .........zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzooom!

4W4K3

VIP Member
I take it by "real world" you mean, noticable to the average user? When it comes to gaming, overclocking definetly has benefits. But not on the extreme side of things. If your hardware is already up to par with the software then yah, overclocking is not necessary. Alot of kids here have awesome computers, so they don't even need to worry about system requirements.

However (over on my side of things lol) hardware often times is too expensive to purchase, so you run today's games, on yesterday's technology. This is where overclocking saves you big bucks, and you don't have to play old games. I can take an older ATi 9800 vid card, flash it to an XT and overclock it, and it will run FEAR or Halo 2 ALOT better than at stock settings.

If overclocking were out of the picture, about every 6 months I'd have to go and blow ~$300 or more on a new video card for hte newest games. Or I'd have to spend ALOT (thousands?) with the initial purchase of an awesome computer...and hope it lasts more than 1-2 years before I need to upgrade it.

PC eye

banned
However (over on my side of things lol) hardware often times is too expensive to purchase, so you run today's games, on yesterday's technology. This is where overclocking saves you big bucks, and you don't have to play old games. I can take an older ATi 9800 vid card, flash it to an XT and overclock it, and it will run FEAR or Halo 2 ALOT better than at stock settings.

If overclocking were out of the picture, about every 6 months I'd have to go and blow ~$300 or more on a new video card for hte newest games. Or I'd have to spend ALOT (thousands?) with the initial purchase of an awesome computer...and hope it lasts more than 1-2 years before I need to upgrade it.

Spending $300+ on a new video card every 6 months? :rolleyes: I can run quite a long list of games with one card over a 2 year period. And I spend less then $100 for each card to run just about any game at stock. The MSI Radeon X1300 Pro 256mb card here will run any game out according to the benchmarks seen at http://www.systemrequirementslab.com/referrer/srtest :D

4W4K3

VIP Member
I was talking about top performance cards/computers. If you want to have a card that will run the latest games at a high FPS rate, you have got to upgrade about every 6 months, and those top of the line cards are usually $300 or more.

Sure the X1300 Pro will run newer games, probably no AA/AF, low/medium details, small resolution, etc. If you plan to game on that card, I'd bet overclocking would help you alot, in terms of performance AND longevity of the card's ability to play recent games.

tlarkin

VIP Member
Well, flashing or unlocking pipelines is not really over clocking, its enabling features. I can flash my router with open source linux firmware which is pretty much the same firmware that Cisco runs on theirs. I don't consider that to be overclocking. I consider it enabling features

Over clocking can have its benefits, but ultimately you already answered your own question. The video card is really the back bone of a gaming system. I can take two identical hardware spec'd rigs, one with a lesser processor and one with an over clocked processor and you probably won't be able to tell the difference. Now, I take the same machine, and have a low end video card, and high end video card and most people will be able to tell the difference.

Once you run out of cache, the processor then pages memory, then virtual memory, and not matter what your clock speed is, you can only push the same amount of data limited to your bandwidth. There is where over clocking can become unstable, and start to send out bad instruction sets.

So, yes if you buy the right hardware that supports over clocking, and all the needed cooling, and other hardware which is used to maintain the system when over clocked, you just spent probably enough money to just build a higher end rig. Then when you get ready to build your new system, sell your old rig, and since it was higher end to begin with it has more market value, and then you are getting the maximum out of your money spent with the highest return possible on your investment.