Does having 6 gig memory cause video buffering problems?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Twiki

Title says it all. I also had pauses in games starting and maybe in other programs. I have 8 gig and my APU is using 2 gig memory for video memory leaving me 6.

Since I have a 1x8 module DDR4 I went ahead and ordered a 1x4 matching model. I'll get it Friday.

Twiki

A lot of retro gaming like Commodore 64 and Amiga. Some Nintendo and Sega. Then there's PC games like Duke Nukem 3D, 4 Elements etc. Most of the problems are with videos on YouTube.

beers

Staff member
Why mismatch capacities? You'll get weird interleaved performance between the sticks instead of a consistent double.

I'd maybe check your RAM settings in BIOS against the sticks, shouldn't be exhibiting that behavior.

Twiki

I don't expect them to interleave as that is disabled. I expect it to see 10 gigs free for stuff. Anyway I do a lot of file and video shuffling so the extra memory will come in handy.

Darren

Staff member
I don't expect them to interleave as that is disabled. I expect it to see 10 gigs free for stuff. Anyway I do a lot of file and video shuffling so the extra memory will come in handy.
Why is it disabled? Should be on, esp on an APU.

Twiki

I don't think I sacrificed much performance by not interleaving, you're blowing it out of proportion. It's not a big deal but having more memory matters.

Jeez guys. :rolleyes:

By the way, it's 2666 and that's not OCing it.

Looking in the BIOS I found that I didn't turn the CPU turbo back on since I quit trying to OC.

Last edited:

Darren

Staff member
I don't think I sacrificed much performance by not interleaving, you're blowing it out of proportion. It's not a big deal but having more memory matters.

Jeez guys. :rolleyes:

By the way, it's 2666 and that's not OCing it.

Looking in the BIOS I found that I didn't turn the CPU turbo back on since I quit trying to OC.

Well it's foolish to intentionally gimp your performance is what we're getting at. Why do you have it off?

https://www.anandtech.com/show/12621/memory-scaling-zen-vega-apu-2200g-2400g-ryzen/3

That's more about raw clock speed but the sentiment is clear that faster RAM (including between sticks) will have a noticeable effect. I'd be curious if you can bench with it on and off and see if there's a difference.

Darren

Staff member
Like I'm hurting for performance. :rolleyes:

I'm doing fine. What are you all? Speed freaks?

I mean...

You're complaining about performance and when we point out ways to improve performance you get defensive?

It's your system mang, do with it as you please. I know most people aren't like me and that's fine. I'm a hardware nut and squeeze everything out of what I've got. Even if my actual day to day usage doesn't utilize it.

Twiki

Since when did I complain about performance? If you mean when I tried to OC then that's an experiment.

Darren

Staff member
I guess not specifically to gaming performance, but the thread is about you having buffering issues that you're trying to remedy by having more RAM. You'd benefit in overall snappiness and gaming performance if it was a matched interleaved set. How much is hard to say, you might not even notice it, but if it's just a simple setting toggle I don't see why you'd intentionally keep it off.

aldan

Title says it all. I also had pauses in games starting and maybe in other programs. I have 8 gig and my APU is using 2 gig memory for video memory leaving me 6.

Since I have a 1x8 module DDR4 I went ahead and ordered a 1x4 matching model. I'll get it Friday.
Since when did I complain about performance? If you mean when I tried to OC then that's an experiment.
are you kidding???you are really gonna say you didnt complain about performance?your whole post was about just this subject.do what you want to but you are ignoring good advice for no good reason.

Twiki

Ok maybe I'm wrong maybe I'm not. As to dual vs single platform it depends on the applications. Some benefits from single and vice versa. Maybe it won't solve my buffering problem but that's early to tell. I'll have the memory tomorrow. We'll see how it works. Can't hurt to have more memory and I ordered the memory when I realized that my APU is using two gigs of the system memory for the video leaving me six.

I remembered my i3 system ran on 4 gigs memory and it sucked. I built this R3 system when my i5 system went down and I put the 2x4 mems in my i3 box. The performance gain was tremendous. Both the 2x2 and the 2x4 mems were in dual flex mode. Adding memory made a difference.

Now I'm running 1x8 mem in my R3 box and that's single platform. Adding 4 gigs to the single platform are not going to improve performance? You tell me, I did my homework.

Darren

Staff member
Ok maybe I'm wrong maybe I'm not. As to dual vs single platform it depends on the applications. Some benefits from single and vice versa. Maybe it won't solve my buffering problem but that's early to tell. I'll have the memory tomorrow. We'll see how it works. Can't hurt to have more memory and I ordered the memory when I realized that my APU is using two gigs of the system memory for the video leaving me six.

I remembered my i3 system ran on 4 gigs memory and it sucked. I built this R3 system when my i5 system went down and I put the 2x4 mems in my i3 box. The performance gain was tremendous. Both the 2x2 and the 2x4 mems were in dual flex mode. Adding memory made a difference.

Now I'm running 1x8 mem in my R3 box and that's single platform. Adding 4 gigs to the single platform are not going to improve performance? You tell me, I did my homework.

None of us ever contested that it wouldn't. It certainly would help to have 12GB instead of 8GB, particularly since some of that is allocated for VRAM. This quote right here made it sound like you were actively choosing to disable a feature that would improve performance for no real reason.

You don't have the stick yet, all we're saying is make sure interleaving is on when you throw the stick in. What did you order exactly? You say matching so I assume same spec. In terms of the capacities being different I'm not sure how much effect that will have on performance, if any. I'm not as experienced with the APU's as @beers is. My main point was to just make sure you're running dual channel with interleave. There's a decent chance you'll see a small performance bump on the GPU side of things since dual channel runs faster than single.

Twiki

Same brand, same model, same specs. One is 8 other is 4. Interleaving is automatic by presence of modules.

Even with mismatch of sizes... surprising no?

All depends on where I put the modules. 2 banks with 2 slots each 1-2 and 3-4. Modules in 1-2 will turn on dual flex platform. Modules in 1-3 will remain in single flex platform.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.