Double Trouble

Respital

Active Member
Hi CF, long time no post i know. I need help with fixing two of my friends computers.

Computer #1: Can boot into the BIOS, can't boot into windows. Tried to boot into Western Digital's bootable CD to run diagnostics on the HDD, can't. Temperatures are fine.

Computer #2: Boots into Windows and shuts off after about 70 seconds each time. Was overheating (80C in BIOS) but after giving it a good cleaning it sat around 60C while in the BIOS, it seems as though the high CPU temperature was not the problem after all. Ran the Western Digital diagnostic CD on this computer and it passed the quick test fine, didn't restart either.

Both computers can sit in the BIOS and will not restart.

I'm looking for any insight, thanks CF!
 
Number 1- What happens when you try to run it? An error? Nothing happens?

Number 2-Could be a registry problem, a certain process that really runs things up, a virus. I don't know for sure. Was (s)he having problems with it before?
 
Number 1- What happens when you try to run it? An error? Nothing happens?

Number 2-Could be a registry problem, a certain process that really runs things up, a virus. I don't know for sure. Was (s)he having problems with it before?

#1: Just restarts after a little bit, when the Windows screen with the scroll bar comes up it restarts and same with the WD diagnostics.

#2: Problems seem to be intermittent, they say sometimes they turn it on and it works for the next few weeks then doesn't. I can't check for viruses because it restarts before i can open anything.

Comp 2, can it boot to safemode?

Didn't check but I'll do that next time I'm over (probably tomorrow). For computer #2 he's going to get an MS recovery CD and try that.
 
#1: Just restarts after a little bit, when the Windows screen with the scroll bar comes up it restarts and same with the WD diagnostics.

#2: Problems seem to be intermittent, they say sometimes they turn it on and it works for the next few weeks then doesn't. I can't check for viruses because it restarts before i can open anything.



Didn't check but I'll do that next time I'm over (probably tomorrow). For computer #2 he's going to get an MS recovery CD and try that.

Comp 1: sounds like a early RAM failure. Try changing it out
 
machine 1. Disable automatic restart when booting to safe mode so that the next time it restarts, you get a blue screen error code.

machine 2. Try looking in the event viewer to see if there is any entries pertaining to the issue that may tell you whats wrong.
 
machine 1. Disable automatic restart when booting to safe mode so that the next time it restarts, you get a blue screen error code.

machine 2. Try looking in the event viewer to see if there is any entries pertaining to the issue that may tell you whats wrong.

Looked at the event viewer already on both computers from the BIOS, nothing but missing keyboards from a while back.
 
doesn't safe mode work on the one?

Doesn't work. Just got back from there now.

#1: Has a problem with the RAM, going to buy a new stick and replace that. Specs list the stick as DDR 319 @159mhz, can only seem to find 333...it should downclock it and work right?

#2: Disabled restart on system error the BSOD code was; 0x0000000A (0x0000000, 0x0000002, 0x00000001, 0x804FF92A).
 
Last edited:
Whats the make and model of computer #1?

Was there new hardware added to computer #2 recently?
 
Lol comp 1, TIme for a new one XD

comp2... bad ram too?

Haha I'd love to build them a new one, but they can't afford it right now.

I'm waiting for John to get back to me on that error code, if nothings comes of that I'll check the RAM as well.
 
Haha I'd love to build them a new one, but they can't afford it right now.

I'm waiting for John to get back to me on that error code, if nothings comes of that I'll check the RAM as well.

Got an error code from the computer with the bad RAM after replacing it since it still wouldn't start; 0x0000007B (0xF8B8E524, 0xC0000034, 0x0000000, 0x0000000). Going to swap the hard drive with one i have laying around.

EDIT: Swapped the hard drive with mine, still won't boot and it gives the same error code (telling me to check for viruses and run checkdisk etc).
 
Last edited:
Got an error code from the computer with the bad RAM after replacing it since it still wouldn't start; 0x0000007B (0xF8B8E524, 0xC0000034, 0x0000000, 0x0000000). Going to swap the hard drive with one i have laying around.

EDIT: Swapped the hard drive with mine, still won't boot and it gives the same error code (telling me to check for viruses and run checkdisk etc).

you cant just swap hard drives. it will always give you a BSOD.. drivers are different
 
you cant just swap hard drives. it will always give you a BSOD.. drivers are different

Yeah but trying to start using safemode and the windows drivers should work no? And would it really give me the same error code?
 
Back
Top