Drivers for my graphics card.

Exoclap

I have Asus gtx 970 strix oc 4gb edition and I'm wondering do I need to download the drivers from Asus website or should I just download and install drivers right from Nvidia official website.

I'm asking such a stupid question because every game that I boot up I experience stuttering/choppiness. Yesterday I played Bioshock Infinite and Dark Souls 3 and I expected the gameplay to be butter smooth instead it is really choppy. I even get this kinds of issues in older games like Call of Duty 2 or Runescape which is really weird.

So I really wan't to make sure how and from where I install my drivers so everything will work properly.

Thank you so much for all your help !!

Exoclap

I did install the driver for gtx 970 that you've provided me with. I've also installed the following drivers for my motherboard:

- Intel Management Engine Driver+Microsoft hotfix

- Intel Smart Connect Technology Driver

- Intel Rapid Start Technology Driver

- Intel Chipset Driver

- Realtek High defenition audio driver

- Intel VGA driver

- Intel USB 3.0 driver

- Intel Management Engine Driver+Microsoft hotfix

After installing one of the last 5 drivers my computer started making coil whine beeping sound when It was on Welcome screen. After I logged in a window opened for re-installation/installation of realtek audio driver even though I installed it before I rebooted my PC.

In Biosho infinite the FPS is solid and is capped at 59-60 fps or150+ if i have v-sync disabled. But even though I have high fps I see jumpiness/stutter/choppiness.

Exoclap

Also when I set V-Sync off the graphics card starts making this weird beeping noise which could be coil whine, the stuttering/choppiness/jumpiness increases and flickering white lines appear on the monitor. If the V-Sync is set to on and if I go to my desktop while the game is running the graphics card produces the same kind of sound as I mentioned before and flashy white lines also appear on the monitor. With V-Sync off I find the game totally unplayable.

Last edited:

Intel_man

VIP Member
screen tearing with v-sync off is normal if you're rendering higher than your monitor's refresh rate. Enable V-Sync.

Exoclap

screen tearing with v-sync off is normal if you're rendering higher than your monitor's refresh rate. Enable V-Sync.

This is definitely not screen tearing its more like jumping of the frame. In some games this problem is more noticeable and in some less but it is always present so i can never play the game smoothly.

What exact power supply do you have?

I have Corsair CX 600. i switched my PSU's many times but it was still the same issue.

Exoclap

Seems a bit high. What kind if cooler do you have on it?

I have a stock cooler that came with the CPU.

I thought that the issue might be RAM so I ran memtest86 for about 16+ hours and no errors were reported. I also did Windows memory test and nothing was found there either. So this is def not a RAM issue or it could be because I only have 1 stick I'm out of ideas

mistersprinkles

I would just reinstall windows at this point honestly. Also not a bad idea to reset bios to defaults, enable XMP, and leave everything else alone, then reinstall windows.

Also, you should really be running dual channel with your RAM. Get another stick.

And an SSD is a must for a fast computer these days. Seriously. Get one you'll like it. $50 gets you a 120GB SSD which is enough for Windows and 1 or 2 games. Put everything else on your old clunker HDD :D