DSL or cable

cal

I currently have Charter cable. It's supposed to be 3meg. I've done several free test's, and they're all over the place. But most of them say I'm getting just under 4meg's. Some say between 1.5 and 2. I pay $45 a month, and a $3 modem rental, a total of $48.

Well this thing is gettin slower and slower. Really aggrivating. I have just upgraded to 2 gig's of ram, and a new Hitachi 7200rpm hard drive. I don't think it's hardware.

So I was checking out AT&T DSL. I can get the Elite package for $35 a month. It say's it's 6meg. I can get a free wireless router too I think, or something else they are throwing in.

So my question is, just say they are both 6meg. Is 6meg dsl as fast as 6meg cable. The upstream speed on the dsl is up to 768mbps. Is that slow for uploading. I couldn't find a upload # for charter. Thank's

http://www.att.com/gen/general?pid=10938

Geoff

VIP Member
Unlike cable, where you share the internet with everyone in your neighborhood, DSL is basically a direct connection to the phone company/ISP, so you're speed wont fluctuate as much.

PC eye

banned
Dsl edges over cable easy enough. The problem with wireless routers however is anyone passing by with a vhs business transmitter like a cab can knock you offline. Adding another problem on top is the close proximity you have to keep any desktop or laptop close to the router itself.

Others like Verizon seem to offer better monthly prices after the initial installation and credit as well when switching over from cable. http://www22.verizon.com/content/consumerdsl/plans/all+plans/all+plans.htm

cal

Thank's for the replies. DSL over Cable. OK

I was worried about a wireless router giving me trouble. But it will actually be in the same room as my laptop. Just 18' over to the bed. I transport car's for a living. I have to stay glued to my puter all day looking for car's to pop up on a website. You have to get them quick, or they're gone. It would be much more comfortable, with my bad back, if I could just lay in bed and hit refresh every few second's to show the new posting's. ;)

That being the case, do you guy's think the wireless would give me problem's being so close. Or should I stick with a regular modem, and my aching back. :rolleyes:

PC eye

banned
For wireless Verizon has a separate type of adapter where you don't even need a wireless router. It's the go anywhere/anyplace type deal they have going.

That means you can take the laptop with you and never worry about being out of range of a router or a need to plug into a wired connection. http://b2b.vzw.com/broadband/bbapccard.html

A friend just bought a laptop for his wife and looked into wireless seeing working results with one of those seen at the link there. Cable or regular dsl connections are strictly hardwired even with the addon of a wireless router.

cal

For wireless Verizon has a separate type of adapter where you don't even need a wireless router. It's the go anywhere/anyplace type deal they have going.

The wireless broadband card's won't work for me at home. My office/bedroom is in my basement. I can't get signal. I have a sprint card now.

I don't care if it's hardwired to the desk,,,as long as I can go wireless to the bed,,,lol. I'm lazy.

Last edited:

Geoff

VIP Member
Dsl edges over cable easy enough. The problem with wireless routers however is anyone passing by with a vhs business transmitter like a cab can knock you offline. Adding another problem on top is the close proximity you have to keep any desktop or laptop close to the router itself.

Others like Verizon seem to offer better monthly prices after the initial installation and credit as well when switching over from cable. http://www22.verizon.com/content/consumerdsl/plans/all+plans/all+plans.htm
I wouldn't say that, I broadcast on VHF out of my room @ 50W, but my laptop never loses it's signal, and doesn't even weaken.

PC eye

banned
Then you would have to add a wireless router to a dsl connection. Those use an ethernet type of plug like seen on a T-1 line not the regular phone type for dsl however. You want a $1000 price tag for installation? :eek: !

My friend ran into that one when going out and buying a Linksys wireless router and then realizing the adapter would be the only thing to work since he runs the usual dsl service as well. A dsl connection by way of usb port and a long cable to reach or a jack next to the bed as well as one for a desk would seem to be the alternative.

You seem to be the fortunate one there OMEGA since those I've talked with some that complain about the signal dropping right off as soon as they walk out of the room where a wireless router is setup. There are also complaints about getting bumped when someone passes by with a business band radio like a cab. You just happen to be in less populated area by your description.

Geoff

VIP Member
Then you would have to add a wireless router to a dsl connection. Those use an ethernet type of plug like seen on a T-1 line not the regular phone type for dsl however. You want a $1000 price tag for installation? :eek: !
I'm not sure what you are talking about, but both DSL and Cable modems use the same connection for going from the modem to the PC/device. All you need is a wireless router ($50), a standard ethernet cable ($5), and thats it (besides the modem). What do you mean by a $1000 price tag for a wireless router on DSL?

PC eye

banned
If you look closely at the wireless routers seen like Linksys for example the plug for the line that goes in is a bit larger in size when compared to the typical phone jack type used for dsl. The $1000 price is the typical installation charge for a 2-3 bedroom house seeing a business T-1 line type line installed. However some services offer free installation with a $359 monthly service charge!

Another problem with a wireless router? http://networking.ittoolbox.com/groups/technical-functional/linksys-l/wireless-router-1773137

The one accessory available for the wireless notebook adapter Verizon carries especially when traveling is the optional $10 antenna you add to the adapter to see a signal gain when in a remote/isolated area or other bad location for signal strength. The wireless option seen with Verizon if available in your area would eliminate the need for any installation unless you also plan to run a desktop as well. Then a second jack or long extenstion would be needed.

Vizy

I did not read all the replies but i personally have had DSL and CABLE. i had dsl before and it was nice. But now i have CABLE and it is better. This maybe because cable speeds depend on the use of the neighborhood, but in my neighbor hood we have all retired couples and stuff so know1 uses cable really. My cable downloads are much faster, but the browsing speed is very similar!

PC eye

banned
The point of a wireless setup however would be for someone seeing limitations of movement like a permanent back injury or something to that extent where wireless to simply carry a laptop along where ever and not sitting up at a desk constantly has to be looked at.

FIOS will easily take on both dsl and cable alike. The problem is most of that is still seen on the west coast and will take 2-3yrs. to see coast to coast availability. T-1 lines are used by companies and large corporations due to the higher premiums seen for providing a much faster service as well as the typically large amounts of data sent back and forth like 1tb sized files as well as unlimited.

cal

Well,,,it's not going to happen anyway. It was the old "Bait and switch".

I went through all the step's checking on availibility, and all that. Then when it came time to check out, the 6meg was not available. They wanted to sell me 1.5 meg.

So it look's like I'm sticking with Charter. Thank's for all the help.

Geoff

VIP Member
If you look closely at the wireless routers seen like Linksys for example the plug for the line that goes in is a bit larger in size when compared to the typical phone jack type used for dsl. The $1000 price is the typical installation charge for a 2-3 bedroom house seeing a business T-1 line type line installed. However some services offer free installation with a $359 monthly service charge!

Another problem with a wireless router? http://networking.ittoolbox.com/groups/technical-functional/linksys-l/wireless-router-1773137

The one accessory available for the wireless notebook adapter Verizon carries especially when traveling is the optional $10 antenna you add to the adapter to see a signal gain when in a remote/isolated area or other bad location for signal strength. The wireless option seen with Verizon if available in your area would eliminate the need for any installation unless you also plan to run a desktop as well. Then a second jack or long extenstion would be needed.
Are you talking about the RJ-45 ethernet jack? The DSL modem uses a standard RJ-11 phone cable and jack, you then connect the modem to the router using an RJ-45 ethernet cable.

Where are you coming up with this needing $359 per month, needing T1, and $1000 installation charges???

PC eye

banned
I never said "needed". I was talking the need to convert from the standard phone jack type plug to the RJ-45 type which a bit larger. The out jack on the modem or nik card used will still see the RJ-11 type there.

Geoff

VIP Member
I never said "needed". I was talking the need to convert from the standard phone jack type plug to the RJ-45 type which a bit larger. The out jack on the modem or nik card used will still see the RJ-11 type there.
I know that, but where did you come up with needing to spend $1000 if you want to use a wireless router with DSL?

PC eye

banned
The price at one time for seeing a much faster T-1 installation was about $1000. That has the same type of RJ-45 plug in use for many the wireless routers. You would first have to locate one that uses the RJ-11 type standard for dsl not T-1. One T-1 provider spotted is down to $299 monthly offering free installation.

Geoff

VIP Member
The price at one time for seeing a much faster T-1 installation was about $1000. That has the same type of RJ-45 plug in use for many the wireless routers. You would first have to locate one that uses the RJ-11 type standard for dsl not T-1. One T-1 provider spotted is down to $299 monthly offering free installation.
Ok, but who said anything about T1? He was asking if DSL or Cable was better, and talked about wireless routers. Then you came and posted something about needing to spend $1000 to install a T1 line and wireless routers are expensive for DSL...

Then you would have to add a wireless router to a dsl connection. Those use an ethernet type of plug like seen on a T-1 line not the regular phone type for dsl however. You want a $1000 price tag for installation? !
All broadband connections use an ethernet plug after the modem. I still don't see how this had anything to do with anything.

StrangleHold

Staff member

Completely wrong, Completely wrong! Like Omega said all you need is a RJ-45 cable between the DSL modem and the router. Where in the world did a 1000 bucks come from. Somebody needs to stop this kind of irresponsible stuff from being posted!!!