DSL or cable

PC eye

banned
[-0MEGA-];945020 said:
Ok, but who said anything about T1? He was asking if DSL or Cable was better, and talked about wireless routers. Then you came and posted something about needing to spend $1000 to install a T1 line and wireless routers are expensive for DSL...

All broadband connections use an ethernet plug after the modem. I still don't see how this had anything to do with anything.

When a friend was looking into seeing his house setup with the fastest ISP he ran into that price tag when inquiring about a T-1 line. Those make both cable and regular dsl look like they are standing still. The prices have actually dropped including free installation now being offered by some services.

Another friend who recently bought his wife a birthday gift was looking at wireless for the laptop and rushed out and bought a Linksys wireless router in a local retail store. That was no dsl plug that went into it when looked over. That took a plug about 2-3 times the size of the typical standard phone type dsl plug.

The larger ethernet plugs are used for T-1 not home dsl. By going to the ISP directly that laptop is now wireless without a router even needed. It simply picks up on dsl emmissions like the hard wiring for dsl acts like a transmitting antenna for broad band there once an account is setup with the ISP.

Geoff

VIP Member
The larger ethernet plugs are used for T-1 not home dsl. By going to the ISP directly that laptop is now wireless without a router even needed. It simply picks up on dsl emmissions like the hard wiring for dsl acts like a transmitting antenna for broad band there once an account is setup with the ISP.
No crap, DSL uses RJ-11 and Cable uses coax. HOWEVER, you don't connect your wireless router directly to the phone line, you connect it to the modem using the same connection as a T1, being the RJ-45 connector.

I also don't understand why you ranted on again in that post when thats not what I asked you.

CMF175

i like cable and i dont get big drops of speed 45 a month 15mbs on the down and 2 on the up like 10 email account 500mb of space per account im happy

G25r8cer

DSL releases logs and can track you easily unlike cable!! Go with cable!! My sis has DSL and I have cable and my speed is faster than hers!

Speedtestnet.png

PC eye

banned
[-0MEGA-];945641 said:
No crap, DSL uses RJ-11 and Cable uses coax. HOWEVER, you don't connect your wireless router directly to the phone line, you connect it to the modem using the same connection as a T1, being the RJ-45 connector.

I also don't understand why you ranted on again in that post when thats not what I asked you.

Not when the router has to go inline from the another one seeing the RJ-11 type plug. That whole thing was already settled when the router was returned and the wireless adapter was used for laptap as seen on the Verizon link posted earlier.

cal You mentioned earlier having tried out Singular. Did they carry any additional antennas for use when traveling?

Verizon carries one for $10 like I mentioned before for a totally wireless application without any hard wiring needed in your apartment. That applies to both dsl and cable there.

If you are not planning to setup a desktop model at any point the additional antenna if needed would eliminate the need for having any wires attached and then unplugged to go anywhere. For hard wired setups

Fiber Optics(FIOS) will dust both dsl and cable period. But that will still take some time depending on where you are located. The main drawback seen with dsl for the most part is simply a phone line being connected at all times rather then dialing a specified number to connect.

massahwahl

VIP Member
Completely wrong, Completely wrong! Like Omega said all you need is a RJ-45 cable between the DSL modem and the router. Where in the world did a 1000 bucks come from. Somebody needs to stop this kind of irresponsible stuff from being posted!!!

Haven't you learned to simply ignore pc_eye yet? lol, 90% of the stuff he posts is complete garbage.

Geoff

VIP Member
DSL releases logs and can track you easily unlike cable!! Go with cable!!
So I guess the whole thing about Comcast monitoring and disabling certain ports for torrents, as well as many other services is better?
My sis has DSL and I have cable and my speed is faster than hers!
What do you both have for speeds? If she has 2Mbps DSL and you have 4Mbps cable, then obviously cable will be faster. However cable slows down if your neighbors all start downloading large files, DSL doesn't.

Haven't you learned to simply ignore pc_eye yet? lol, 90% of the stuff he posts is complete garbage.
hehe, I couldn't ignore it though :p

Kazoon

Cable sucks...I had 8MB cable and it was all over the place also. 4pm when all the kids in the neighborhood are downloading games and songs I was lucky to get 3MB. I have the AT&T Elite package 6MB, I lose just under 1MB for over head (Line distance) and my speed is the same always! I am also using a router and a laptop and have never I mean never had any problems.
257203993.png

PC eye

banned
Cable sucks...I had 8MB cable and it was all over the place also. 4pm when all the kids in the neighborhood are downloading games and songs I was lucky to get 3MB. I have the AT&T Elite package 6MB, I lose just under 1MB for over head (Line distance) and my speed is the same always! I am also using a router and a laptop and have never I mean never had any problems.
257203993.png

When you were running a cable modem did you use Lan or usb on the one they provided you? The services in this area use a small box with the 75ohn input and either a usb cord going out to a port or you enable the onboard Lan option. The modem itself will have an indicator lighting up when there's an active connection.

G25r8cer

A usb connection only allows a 10mbps connection, I believe! While a ethernet connection allows over 100mbps!

PC eye

banned
A usb connection only allows a 10mbps connection, I believe! While a ethernet connection allows over 100mbps!

That still depends on the ISP and what each offers in that sense. Even with a cable modem the two options were usb or Lan seeing only those two ports on the modem itself. A T-1 line would be one that uses ethernet and a nik card over what is seen for the average home user.

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
I currently have Charter cable. It's supposed to be 3meg. I've done several free test's, and they're all over the place. But most of them say I'm getting just under 4meg's. Some say between 1.5 and 2. I pay $45 a month, and a $3 modem rental, a total of $48.

Well this thing is gettin slower and slower. Really aggrivating. I have just upgraded to 2 gig's of ram, and a new Hitachi 7200rpm hard drive. I don't think it's hardware.

So I was checking out AT&T DSL. I can get the Elite package for $35 a month. It say's it's 6meg. I can get a free wireless router too I think, or something else they are throwing in.

So my question is, just say they are both 6meg. Is 6meg dsl as fast as 6meg cable. The upstream speed on the dsl is up to 768mbps. Is that slow for uploading. I couldn't find a upload # for charter. Thank's

http://www.att.com/gen/general?pid=10938

I have Charter as well, but am currently getting 5Mbps. It's too expensive and when it goes out in the beginning of the summer (For sometimes days) their support staff says "Oh! I see no issues. I don't see why it's working."

It's usually just a loose or frayed cable on the pole.

PC eye

banned
Spywares, adawares, viruses, you name it can slow any system down no matter what method you are using to connect online. The most common thing seen besides any disruption of service is simply not seeing the drivers/software working correctly after a period of time if not from a bad install. Sometimes you have to remove everything in order to get a connection working again following a fresh install.

PC eye

banned
First let's find some FIOS and T-1 users and make even more comparisons. Then everyone will have even more to fuss over! :p

PC eye

banned
Everything beats dial-up!

"gee now where did that ole 14.4k dial-up modem end up?" :confused:

"in the recycle bin several years ago!" :rolleyes: