DSL or cable

Kazoon

When you were running a cable modem did you use Lan or usb on the one they provided you? The services in this area use a small box with the 75ohn input and either a usb cord going out to a port or you enable the onboard Lan option. The modem itself will have an indicator lighting up when there's an active connection.
I looked just like the speedstream modem I have now and it connected to my ethernet card...no USB.

PC eye

banned
Each cable service as well as other ISPs will generally have their own type. When asked to get someone else up and running with cable the modem saw usb or the onboard Lan on your board. This is the thing to look into from the ISP you select ahead of time.

Geoff

VIP Member
Each cable service as well as other ISPs will generally have their own type. When asked to get someone else up and running with cable the modem saw usb or the onboard Lan on your board. This is the thing to look into from the ISP you select ahead of time.
What other connections are you referring to besides having an ethernet or USB connection? Almost all broadband modems offer those.

PC eye

banned
The typical ethernet connector is those seen on the average board. The type of cable seen for some of the wireless routers is a larger plug seen there. Lan plugs are much closer in size to the standard plug seen on your home phone or usual nik card for pc.

To see the contrast between the two types the image here is an RJ-45 adapter with the left side being familiar with that seen on the rear of a board or on an expansion card. The green type on the right is what plugs into some of the wireless routers.

This will simplify things quite a bit so we all end up on the same page instead of pulling hair! :p

fortyways

banned
..DSL modems are phone line in, ethernet out. Cable modems are coaxial in, ethernet out.

They're both ethernet out, and wireless routers are ethernet in. There's no special installation or anything for using a wireless router with DSL. I'm doing it right now.

PC eye

banned
Depending on what service? Not all cable modems are the same brand as well as type.

When asked to help get someone else up and running lately the cable modem saw both usb and the standard lan type typically seen for most boards featuring onboard lan. Each port saw an indicator light as well as the software setup and monitor. That was a newbie at even pcs let alone being online much with the paperback book sized modem seen there.

Geoff

VIP Member
The typical ethernet connector is those seen on the average board. The type of cable seen for some of the wireless routers is a larger plug seen there. Lan plugs are much closer in size to the standard plug seen on your home phone or usual nik card for pc.

To see the contrast between the two types the image here is an RJ-45 adapter with the left side being familiar with that seen on the rear of a board or on an expansion card. The green type on the right is what plugs into some of the wireless routers.

This will simplify things quite a bit so we all end up on the same page instead of pulling hair! :p

A wireless router uses the same connector as all other networking products, which uses the RJ-45 jack. The link you posted would be used on the commercial equipment, not your average home/business broadband modem.

PC eye

banned
[-0MEGA-];948206 said:
A wireless router uses the same connector as all other networking products, which uses the RJ-45 jack. The link you posted would be used on the commercial equipment, not your average home/business broadband modem.

The wireless router a friend bought at a Circuit City saw the larger plug when he couldn't figure out how to connect it! I heard all about that when he never bothered to check to see what type of line it was used on when simply going out and grabbing it simply looking at the "wireless" term on the retail box!

I think that's a good lesson for those now wanting to go wireless and jumping at the first item seen without first looking into things! Some stock person in a retail store won't know just what you need if you don't already!