Dual Boot WinXp and Ubuntu help

Punk

Staff member
I am thinking that his issue is with the video card. Almost certain in fact.

Okay, try this, as a way to figure if it is drivers or not (going towards when your GPU was modern). Download 8.04 (http://releases.ubuntu.com/8.04/) check the md5
Code:
 4f41e03d250b2f2b1cd3015c8df4af7c
and if it passes, boot to the disk and see if it will get to where it asks install or run live disk.

Ok so I finally got the the menu, checked the CD and it was fine and started installation. Problem is my keyboard and mouse didn't work because they were USB so I'm changing to he basic ones I kept :).

I always get this error though:

DSC_4126_zps20e97676.jpg

It goes on for a while but it still goes to installation afterwards...

wolfeking

banned
Your keyboard should work. I have never had an issue with USB keyboards not working during installation. The USB stack has been there practically forever at this point. Definitely longer than windows has had it.

Though if you are having issues with the USB, and your previous issue was graphic, then chances are the chipset is screwy. (taking a guess, I am not completely sure how the xpress chips were set up).

Punk

Staff member
Installation went great but could not start it afterwards. Same error came back for about ten minutes.

I officially give up. I'm wasting too much time on this and this is getting nowhere. My machine probably won't run Linux.

wolfeking

banned
Not possible. There is a linux to fit everything. You have just run into a tricky machine. I am still betting that the issue is in the chipset, be it the chipset itself, or the iGPU.

Does everything on it work under windows? No random bluescreens or crashes or the like? (just trying to figure if it is a driver issue or a hardware issue).

Have you tried any linux besides Ubuntu? If not, maybe give Mint or Fedora a try. They might be able to run where ubuntu can not.