Dual Boot- XP/Vista

mep916

Administrator
Staff member
SmartTart, use the link PC eye posted as instructions for the startup repair. You'll need to place the Windows disk into the optical drive, restart your computer and boot to the CD.

Whether or not the files in question are needed to boot Windows is irrelevant. While I agree with tyttebøvs, I'd like everyone to stay on-topic and end it here.

Thanks. :)

SmartTart

SmartTart, use the link PC eye posted as instructions for the startup repair. You'll need to place the Windows disk into the optical drive, restart your computer and boot to the CD.

Whether or not the files in question are needed to boot Windows is irrelevant. While I agree with tyttebøvs, I'd like everyone to stay on-topic and end it here.

Thanks. :)

ah crap! haha, well I booted up the Vista DVD and once I went through the repair startup, etc. It restarted and I got to a DOS-like screen that asked which OS I wanted to boot from: Vista or XP (I used EasyBCD on XP to get this in). I hit XP and got an error about it being corrupt or something along those lines. Missing files, me thinks? Anyway, going back a few posts, here's the setup:
(HDD1) C: used exclusively for Vista. One, single, bootable primary partician
(HDD2) E: not sure if that's exactly the drive letter, but irrelevent- (potentially) bootable XP primary partician for HDD2
F: Not bootable. Personal files on there- just used for storage.

So as you may have guessed, I went from "out of the pan, into the fire" as they say. I got out of XP and have the option to dual-boot now (technically), but the XP option doesn't work, so I'm stuck in Vista. I'm using another computer to access the web, by the way. Frusterated now. Can someone help me connect the dots, please?

Also, what is "link PC eye", and what startup instructions?
I've used this link for a little help but after following the directions, it doesn't seem to help.
http://apcmag.com/how_to_dual_boot_...talled_first__the_stepbystep_guide.htm?page=4

Help me! :(

mep916

Administrator
Staff member
In order to use the boot menu, you have to have the OSes installed on the same hard drive with two seperate partitions. Since you have each OS on a seperate hard drive, you need to enter the BIOS and select which hard drive you'd like to boot from.

If I were you, I'd create an additional partition for XP on HDD1. Install XP on the newly created partition, and you'll be able to boot between the two OSes using the menu.

Here's the link PC eye provided, although I think you no longer need it.

http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/en-US/Help/5c59f8c1-b0d1-4f1a-af55-74f3922f3f351033.mspx#EX

SmartTart

In order to use the boot menu, you have to have the OSes installed on the same hard drive with two seperate partitions. Since you have each OS on a seperate hard drive, you need to enter the BIOS and select which hard drive you'd like to boot from.

If I were you, I'd create an additional partition for XP on HDD1. Install XP on the newly created partition, and you'll be able to boot between the two OSes using the menu.

Here's the link PC eye provided, although I think you no longer need it.

http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/en-US/Help/5c59f8c1-b0d1-4f1a-af55-74f3922f3f351033.mspx#EX

So just to reiterate, there's no way that I can have a dual-boot on two seperate hard drives then (without changing the BIOS boot sequence every time I want to switch OS), correct?

If that's right, will I lose all the information I have if I install XP on another added partition on the C: drive and then delete the one on the F: drive? I really don't want to lose the data I have now and I don't really have the time/patience/resources to move my 100's of Gb of data to empty HD and DVD's so that I can reformat and so forth. I kinda understand what you're saying about creating another partition and making HDD2 just storage, but would that be practical at this point or would it be another 24-hour process to complete it?

Thanks for all the help again guys, REALLY appreciate it!

sg1

you may not have to go into BIOS to switch- Bring up the BOOT MENU during POST (usually F11) and select the HDD you want :)

SmartTart

But if I go with what he said earlier and devide HDD1 into the Vista and XP partitions, will there be data loss in either HDD?

mep916

Administrator
Staff member
But if I go with what he said earlier and devide HDD1 into the Vista and XP partitions, will there be data loss in either HDD?

Create another partition on HD1. Install XP on that partition. As long as you partition the hard drive correctly, you shouldn't lose any data. How much hard drive space do you have on HD1?

SmartTart

Create another partition on HD1. Install XP on that partition. As long as you partition the hard drive correctly, you shouldn't lose any data. How much hard drive space do you have on HD1?

HDD1 is 400GB drive, something like 135 free.

mep916

Administrator
Staff member
Option 1:

In your current XP install, use something like the Files and Settings Transfer Wizard to backup your personal settings. Create an additional partition for XP on HD1. Install XP on that partition. After the install, you'll need to run the Startup Repair with the Vista DVD. That will create the dual-boot menu, allowing you to boot between the OSes. You'll need to reinstall all your XP applications from the previous install, and use the Files and Settings Transfer Wizard to restore your personal settings.

Option 2:

Install Vista on HD2. You'll need to create another partition with at least 15 GB of space available. If you can, I'd make that partition the same size you have on HD1. If you do this, you can delete the Vista partition on HD1 and use that hard drive for storage.

What much space is available on HD2?

PC eye

banned
So just to reiterate, there's no way that I can have a dual-boot on two seperate hard drives then (without changing the BIOS boot sequence every time I want to switch OS), correct?

If that's right, will I lose all the information I have if I install XP on another added partition on the C: drive and then delete the one on the F: drive? I really don't want to lose the data I have now and I don't really have the time/patience/resources to move my 100's of Gb of data to empty HD and DVD's so that I can reformat and so forth. I kinda understand what you're saying about creating another partition and making HDD2 just storage, but would that be practical at this point or would it be another 24-hour process to complete it?

Thanks for all the help again guys, REALLY appreciate it!

The method I outlined before is for adding XP installed on a separate drive into the Vista boot loader with the Vista drive set as the default boot device. I run XP on a second sata drive here. For a dual boot setup one drive is also set as the default with all boot files and mbr entries found there.

With XP now seen as a stand alone OS on one drive with Vista on the other the reason the XP option hasn't worked is the obvious lack of boot information and of course boot files needed on the Vista drive for XP. Once you have the needed files copied over you boot up with the XP cd first to the recovery console for the Fixboot and Fixmbr commands there with the Vista set as the default boot device.

Vista will then need a startup repair following the revision of the mbr there. When that is done you will then see the boot.ini and other changes in boot instructions modified where the EasyBCD program will be far easier to work with.

The need to shrink the current Vista primary to create a second one for XP simply isn't there. You don't have to make any drive changes other then following the guide there along with seeing those files copied over before seeing the mbr entries made for each version.

Soon you will likely have the option to use the beta program in development once the Beta #1 release is ready and download page is posted. This protects the Vista restore points in a dual boot setup when booting up in XP.

PC eye

banned
One thing done here was to first see each version installed separately on each drive by itself with the other or others unplugged. The last build here saw XP Home on the first ide, Vista on the second, and XP Pro moved to the first sata. The "host" or boot drive was the first ide seeing XP Home there at the time.

RC1 was the game for a dual boot until the Jan. 31 release and additional drives went in. At first Vista went on last even with the first 1.5.2 release found for EasyBCD when it was learned that VistaBOOTPro was a "ripoff" of the EasyBCD program.

With a dual boot on the same all eseentials are there to start with while stand alones on separate drives see the boot files isolated. You then have to manually copy the XP boot files over and see the mbr rewritten at first with the recovey consolde for XP making that the version that will load.

After you then correct the Vista mbr using the startup repair to see Vista boot up again you proceed to add XP into the Vista loader using EasyBCD. For the most part you would generally assume the hidden from view ntldr and boot.ini files would be all that was needed until and when you get into the other beta program that works along with EasyBCD for protecting restore points by hiding the Vista primary not other partitions from XP.

The program soon to be more generally available will be set seeing Vista as the default OS while you can select XP or another as default with the second boot menu that you will see. The NeoGrub loader is usually set to 0 seconds display time where you don't even see the Grub4Dos menu only having Vista as the single entry there.

Now for the catcher?! What was found was that you can add XP to that for simply seeing an XP/Vista dual boot while protecting Vista's restore points and not even having the optional EasyBCD installed. For seeing orher OSs like a Linux distro added into the mix you will then still need EasyBCD for the options seen there.

Plus the main gui is far easier to work with over the command prompt type menu seen with NeoGrub. Why the other boot files for a simplified dual boot there? Grub4Dos is the dos type boot loader that uses those while EasyBCD by itself utilizes the ntldr and boot.ini files only.

If you want the Vista restore points protected especially with no repair install option available as seen with XP oops! you will want to see all files copied over. The Grub4Dos configuration saves one extra step for booting two versions while protection is there for Vista. Simply seeing all files copied over now may not seem to make sense while those will already be there when the other tool is available very soon by the looks of things so far. (pant... pant... pant out of breath)

porterjw

Spaminator
Staff member
Wow, just...wow. Vista and XP can share the same Hard Drive on separate partitions, yes. However...they will not be very amicable towards each other. It's best if they live of separate Drives altogether.

Ok, to the OP, my advice (and the advice of several others on these Forums) will be to completely ignore everything PC has told you so far. He's turning a super-simple procedure into screenshots galore, Beta test RCI this, and as seen here that. If you want a few good chuckles, just click the second link in my sig - very good stuff!

You installed Vista first, XP second, correct? Now that XP is loaded, you can't boot into Vista - ok, gotcha:) There are two ways to fix this. The first (and simplest if command lines make you nervous (and they do to a lot of folks, so no worries if they do!) is to install EasyBCD, as mentioned a few times before. Follow the on-screen instructions, and you're most-like done. Just like Staples...that was easy; and it only took two sentences to get out, as opposed to several multi-paragraph Posts. But, if BCD is being funny, or if you want to play with a command line...

...here's how ya do it. First a recap, Vista was installed first, XP second - assuming the XP Install is finished and you boot right into it upon startup, put in your Vista DVD and restart. Get to the Installation screen (but don't click Install!); instead click "Repair" then "Next" (Vista will be the only thing you see here - don't worry, XP is still there). Choose the option to open a Command Line and, once it's opened, type Bootrec.exe /fixMBR and press Enter, then Bootrec.exe /fixBoot and press Enter. Exit from that area and restart your system. It will auto-boot into Vista this time, but once again, all is good. Once in Vista, open another Command Line, this time as Admin (right-click, run as Admin) and type bcdedit.exe and type the following bold commands below (***where "X" in the first line is whatever partition XP is installed on as per Vista's say-so - if you didn't partition the Drive you have Vista on, and you only have the two Drives, this will most-likely be D) (***if X will in fact be D, feel free to copy and paste this exactly, one line at a time, and press Enter after each one is pasted into the Command Terminal)

bcdedit –set {ntldr} device partition=D:
bcdedit –set {ntldr} path \ntldr
bcdedit –displayorder {ntldr} –addlast
bcdedit -set {ntldr} description "Microsoft Windows XP"

Once that's done, you can exit out of it and Restart. Grab a piece of cake and eat it because you're done!

Last edited:

PC eye

banned
First when booting up with the VIsta install dvd there is no command prompt but the option for language seen. Following that the installer loads to the install now or repair tools splash screen. The startup repair tool is an automatic process where you simply select the installation and restart the system with practically a pen stroke.

Simply editing in lines with the BCD editor that comes with Vista won't see XP added either without first seeing the boot files copied over from a separate drive with XP installed there. In case something does go wrong or you later decide to remove XP here's a tip that a few people are simply unaware of.

The EasyBCD program will run on 98 as well as any other older versions where the Vista mbr can be restored there if needed. The entire process itself is easily reversed as well.

porterjw

Spaminator
Staff member
First when booting up with the VIsta install dvd there is no command prompt but the option for language seen. Following that the installer loads to the install now or repair tools splash screen.

Le sigh... Did I say there was a Command Prompt immediately upon booting the DVD, or did I say... "Get to the Installation screen (but don't click Install!); instead click "Repair" then "Next" (Vista will be the only thing you see here - don't worry, XP is still there). Choose the option to open a Command Line".

The startup repair tool is an automatic process where you simply select the installation and restart the system with practically a pen stroke.

Not once did I mention picking the Startup Repair option, which won't address the XP aspect of the Repair "with practically a pen stroke":rolleyes: since they ARE TWO DIFFERENT TYPES OF BOOTLOADERS.

Just like always PC...you fail miserably...

PC eye

banned
Why would you open a command line anyways where the process for seeing XP added as a new entry is already simplified with the options seen in EasyBCD? You are sidetracking for a manual edit not even required. Now have a look at the fast and effective method for even a novice!

porterjw

Spaminator
Staff member
Umm, pardon? Did you ever read Post #33? Let me refresh...

Ok, to the OP, my advice (and the advice of several others on these Forums) will be to completely ignore everything PC has told you so far. He's turning a super-simple procedure into screenshots galore, Beta test RCI this, and as seen here that. If you want a few good chuckles, just click the second link in my sig - very good stuff!

Oh! Sorry, wrong paragraph... :)

You installed Vista first, XP second, correct? Now that XP is loaded, you can't boot into Vista - ok, gotcha There are two ways to fix this. The first (and simplest if command lines make you nervous (and they do to a lot of folks, so no worries if they do!) is to install EasyBCD, as mentioned a few times before. Follow the on-screen instructions, and you're most-like done. Just like Staples...that was easy; and it only took two sentences to get out, as opposed to several multi-paragraph Posts. But, if BCD is being funny, or if you want to play with a command line...

...yadayadayada.

So, I Owned you in Post 33, you tried to backtrack and trip me up in Post 35, I proved you wrong again in Post 36, and you're still trying to trip me up again in Post 37...do I have that right? Thought so.

((I can't wait to see what Post 39 will bring!))

SmartTart

Option 1:

In your current XP install, use something like the Files and Settings Transfer Wizard to backup your personal settings. Create an additional partition for XP on HD1. Install XP on that partition. After the install, you'll need to run the Startup Repair with the Vista DVD. That will create the dual-boot menu, allowing you to boot between the OSes. You'll need to reinstall all your XP applications from the previous install, and use the Files and Settings Transfer Wizard to restore your personal settings.

Option 2:

Install Vista on HD2. You'll need to create another partition with at least 15 GB of space available. If you can, I'd make that partition the same size you have on HD1. If you do this, you can delete the Vista partition on HD1 and use that hard drive for storage.

What much space is available on HD2?

I really like the sound of option 1, although I'm still not jumping for joy about reinstalling all the programs I have accumulated on XP.
HDD2- 700Gb, about 500 free between the XP and storage partitions

SmartTart

Wow, just...wow. Vista and XP can share the same Hard Drive on separate partitions, yes. However...they will not be very amicable towards each other. It's best if they live of separate Drives altogether.

You installed Vista first, XP second, correct? Now that XP is loaded, you can't boot into Vista - ok, gotcha:) There are two ways to fix this. The first (and simplest if command lines make you nervous (and they do to a lot of folks, so no worries if they do!) is to install EasyBCD, as mentioned a few times before. Follow the on-screen instructions, and you're most-like done. Just like Staples...that was easy; and it only took two sentences to get out, as opposed to several multi-paragraph Posts. But, if BCD is being funny, or if you want to play with a command line...

...here's how ya do it. First a recap, Vista was installed first, XP second - assuming the XP Install is finished and you boot right into it upon startup, put in your Vista DVD and restart. Get to the Installation screen (but don't click Install!); instead click "Repair" then "Next" (Vista will be the only thing you see here - don't worry, XP is still there). Choose the option to open a Command Line and, once it's opened, type Bootrec.exe /fixMBR and press Enter, then Bootrec.exe /fixBoot and press Enter. Exit from that area and restart your system. It will auto-boot into Vista this time, but once again, all is good. Once in Vista, open another Command Line, this time as Admin (right-click, run as Admin) and type bcdedit.exe and type the following bold commands below (***where "X" in the first line is whatever partition XP is installed on as per Vista's say-so - if you didn't partition the Drive you have Vista on, and you only have the two Drives, this will most-likely be D) (***if X will in fact be D, feel free to copy and paste this exactly, one line at a time, and press Enter after each one is pasted into the Command Terminal)

bcdedit –set {ntldr} device partition=D:
bcdedit –set {ntldr} path \ntldr
bcdedit –displayorder {ntldr} –addlast
bcdedit -set {ntldr} description "Microsoft Windows XP"

Once that's done, you can exit out of it and Restart. Grab a piece of cake and eat it because you're done!

Well If I understand you right, I think I did all that using that first program you mentioned and since the Vista and XP partitions are on seperate physical drives (HDD1 and HDD2 for variable purposes) I get a "corrupt files" error when I try booting to XP in Vista's "ntldr" menu.

EDIT: Also, did I read somewhere this could be fixed by copying files from one disk to another regarding boot sequences? I've used the EasyBCD (or whatever that was) and got XP and Vista both on there and by creating and erasing the Vista ntldr file I can (painfully slowly) dual boot between the two over the course of about a 10-minute turnaround, but I have not yet manually messed with command prompt or added/copied files between the two drives. Would that help somewhere...?

Last edited: