Dual Boot- XP/Vista

sg1

@ Imsati , You sound like you are having some kinda "i'm better than you" confrontation with PcEye??
At the end of the day we are here to help SmartTart(great name BTW:) ) to get her system running as she wants it to be .. agreed??

Let's all start working together before the Mods get involved.!!
:):):):)

porterjw

Spaminator
Staff member
Well If I understand you right, I think I did all that using that first program you mentioned and since the Vista and XP partitions are on seperate physical drives (HDD1 and HDD2 for variable purposes) I get a "corrupt files" error when I try booting to XP in Vista's "ntldr" menu.

EDIT: Also, did I read somewhere this could be fixed by copying files from one disk to another regarding boot sequences? I've used the EasyBCD (or whatever that was) and got XP and Vista both on there and by creating and erasing the Vista ntldr file I can (painfully slowly) dual boot between the two over the course of about a 10-minute turnaround, but I have not yet manually messed with command prompt or added/copied files between the two drives. Would that help somewhere...?

Right, sometimes that happens with EasyBCD. That's why I posted the second part of my Post that deals with manually editing the bcdedit.exe file in Vista. When you go in and physically change the file (as opposed to having the program do it and miss a step) it's a lot more accurate.

@ Imsati , You sound like you are having some kinda "i'm better than you" confrontation with PcEye??
At the end of the day we are here to help SmartTart(great name BTW ) to get her system running as she wants it to be .. agreed??

Let's all start working together before the Mods get involved.!!

With all due respect, you're probably too new to realize what PC does. He's useless - plain and simple. He has zero knowledge - everything he Posts comes from Googling the info, screenshots that have nothing to do with the actual problem at hand, or back-tracking and saying 'I didn't Post that' or 'We obviously misread my post/don't know what I'm talking about' when someone points out the error (and there is ALWAYS one) in his Posts. He's bee doing this since he started - almost 19k Posts ago. He will try in vain to convince everyone he's correct, even after he's proved wrong by those on here who actually know what they're doing. Really, the only people he impresses are the newcomers who see his "18k+" Post count and think he's a Forum demigod for having that many, therefore, he MUST know his stuff... This is a Forum to HELP others, not muck up there system to the point of reinstalling software because ofgiving piss-poor advice. Do a search for other Threads he's "helped" in, specifically the second link in my sig, then tell me if he still holds credibility. And for the record, the way to help, SmartTart as you suggested we try to do, is to ignore everything PC's posted.

It's absolutely disgusting the Forum PTB's haven't banned him yet.

sg1

@Imsati, Rather than being "unproffesional" and slating others on the forum for everyone to see, would it not have been better to PM me instead.

AND just for the record, I'm not new to the forum, I was a GOLD member over two years ago but I couldn't remember my u/n and p/w or the addy I used to sign up with so I just started again!!

I've noticed , much has changed in the last two years, now their seems to be a lot more youngsters on here that are more concerned with going off on a tangent and not actually getting the issues resolved!!

I don't tend to add my two pennies worth unless I'm pretty sure what I'm saying is 100% true!! I tend to observe more and keep my BIG MOUTH SHUT!!

ANYWAY......... Back on topic please. :)

StrangleHold

Staff member
@Imsati, Rather than being "unproffesional" and slating others on the forum for everyone to see, would it not have been better to PM me instead.

AND just for the record, I'm not new to the forum, I was a GOLD member over two years ago but I couldn't remember my u/n and p/w or the addy I used to sign up with so I just started again!!

AND, just for the record is your PM button not working. Doing the same thing your tell someone else not to do. HUM. Every post he made was helping SmartTart. And telling someone to ignore PC eye is a smart move 90% of the time.

porterjw

Spaminator
Staff member
>>Post #47

The only problem with that is (again this is being mentioned...try to keep pace) the bootloader for Vista and XP is different. XP's MBR cannot recognize Vista, but Vista's BCD *can* recognize XP, but only *after* it is edited - a simple 'reinstall BCD' won't work. Refer to my first Post in this Thread for explicit details on how to edit it.

I'm not going to turn this into a Flame war, and this will be the last Post in this Thread for me. I didn't come in to run my mouth or take the sunshine away from anyone just so I could stand in it. In fact, the only reason for my original Post was because a Moderator *specifically asked me to assist*. I'll not mention names, but if they want to pop in, it's up to them (no pressure to do so though). We can run our mouths back and forth until the Thread is locked, but honestly, it's not worth it at this point. If the OP chooses to blindly listen to PC, then I don't want to hear it when the fresh installations of both XP and Vista happen. However, if they have any questions or get hung-up somewhere, they can take the advice that Strangle or others that actually know what they're talking about gave so far, or the OP can post up their email address and I'll personally respond to them and only them.

Also, I accept PM's from everyone, you simply don't have the 100 Posts required to send one yet.

Peace.

--Jay, 100% done with this Thread (strongly considering going back to his assistance via PM only rule)

Last edited:

SmartTart

@ SmartTart , Did you ever try this?

umm, ok well getting back on track... Yes, I did try that. And way back there (seeing as how atleast 2 pages of this thread is unrelated) I actually mentioned that I hit the startup repair, got Vista back and technically got the boot menu available once I restarted. Problem was, when I tried to open the XP option it wouldn't let me boot to it- "corrupted file" error or something. So I went from being stuck in XP to being stuck in Vista.
So after going back into EasyBCD (or whatever it's called) I erased the Vista ntldr file I think which basically undid the startup repair and got back the automatic XP boot.

SO- Since almost purely by democratic vote I've decided against "PC eye" 's suggestion, how do I change the Vista booter to find XP since the XP one can't find Vista (such as Jay said)?
Thanks you guys
PC- nothing personal about not taking your advice. You could be right and I not know it, but since I am admittedly a newbie here I am going to go along with the majority on this one since I can't really vouch for anyone's personal record.

EDIT: imsati, will you email me at smarttart [at] ymail for personal help?
Thank you all!

Last edited:

PC eye

banned
The basic reason XP failed to load when seeing it as an option in the Vista boot loader is you likely had the boot.ini file error typically seen. Vista doesn't have an ntldr file. The new version sees an entirely new boot loader.

Once you use the startup repair option on the Vista dvd to restore Vista you then proceed to add XP into the Vista boot loader with EasyBCD while in Windows. At first Vista has to be the default OS in order to see that done while you set XP as default with the program as well.

As for the startup repair tool seen on the Vista dvd that is strictly an automatic repair tool for seeing problems with Vista loading repaired. That has nothing to do with boot entries for an older version or other OS.

PC eye

banned
With multiple drives ide or sata you don't even need a switch but a boot device menu where you simply choose the drive to boot from. That also includes the option for optical and floppy drives as well.

Of course someone I know of simply throws a few switches to load any OS including all versions of Windows. Quite a setup! But without all that the method is simple enough between the two versions without any additional wiring.