Dude, I'm gettin' a Dell... :-)

Yeah, I remember the old Pentium 2's. Memories... :cool::cool:

Beers, thanks for magically transporting me back to my younger days when the Pentium 2 was the latest thing... :)

_Pete_

If it suits your needs then whatevs.

I don't really feel compelled to do your homework although my last prebuilt contained a pentium 2.

That's a swing and a miss on the point I was making, but thanks for being condescending.

My condescension was in response to your original condescension which, whilst being very quick to critisise me, you failed to notice. And with that I am out of this thread.

aldan

p2?at risk of dating myself,my first pc was a pentium p54c.my hdd was smaller than many programs today.as was said,if it does what you want it to do,run with it.

strollin and aldan, thanks for your replies... ::)

There are others on other message boards who are telling me that Dells are high-quality machines and that they have seen them last up to ten years... :cool:

strollin

p2?at risk of dating myself,my first pc was a pentium p54c.my hdd was smaller than many programs today.as was said,if it does what you want it to do,run with it.
I guess I'll date myself then as well. I didn't get up to a Pentium until about my 5th or 6th PC. I had computers with 8088, 80286, 80386 & 80486 cpus PRIOR to my first Pentium. I didn't have a hard drive until my 2nd PC and it was a whopping 20MB! Yup, I'm old.

I have a slightly over 2 year old Dell Inspiron 15 5000 laptop that I have no intention of replacing soon. It still looks and runs like it was brand new. It has an i5 cpu, 8GB of RAM and a 256GB SDD. I expect that I will be still using it for 3-4 more years.

Merry Christmas everyone!

Last edited:
I guess I'll date myself then as well. I didn't get up to a Pentium until about my 5th or 6th PC. I had computers with 8088, 80286, 80386 & 80486 cpus PRIOR to my first Pentium. I didn't have a hard drive until my 2nd PC and it was a whopping 20MB! Yup, I'm old.

I have a slightly over 2 year old Dell Inspiron 15 5000 laptop that I have no intention of replacing soon. It still looks and runs like it was brand new. It has an i5 cpu, 8GB of RAM and a 256GB SDD. I expect that I will be still using it for 3-4 more years.

Merry Christmas everyone!
Merry Christmas, strollin

I'll do you one better...

I used to have a Commodore 64 with a cassette drive. Yeah, you heard me (he said as the nurse at the rest home adjusted his pillow). a cassette drive.

My best friend had a Texas Instruments TI-99/4A....

Can any one here beat that... :D

strollin

I had a Tandy TRS-80 Model 1 with cassette drive and also a Tandy TRS-80 Model 100 that had no drives but neither was my first computer. The very first computer I ever had my hands on was an HP 3000 minicomputer that only had front panel switches for input and blinky lights for output.

On topic, I've personally owned a number of Dell systems over the years and really didn't have any issues with them. I also have had employers provide me with Dell systems for work and they were fine as well. If I wanted to buy a pre-built system, laptop or desktop, I would certainly consider Dell a contender.

Thanks for your reply, strollin'!

That's quite a good record you have with Dell products.

I'm really glad you have had so much good fortune with their products.

...makes me want to go out and buy a Dell... :cool::):cool::):cool::) :p

Wait! I already did that! :oops::oops::oops::oops::oops::oops::oops:

strollin

The only computer I was ever really disappointed in after buying was the Mac Mini I had. What an overpriced piece of hardware that was! Cost me about $1K and ran almost as well as a $400 Windows machine.

Calin

The only computer I was ever really disappointed in after buying was the Mac Mini I had. What an overpriced piece of hardware that was! Cost me about $1K and ran almost as well as a $400 Windows machine.
That's the case with pretty much all Macs on the market. Overpriced as ****.

That's the case with pretty much all Macs on the market. Overpriced as ****.

Yeah, I"ve pretty much drawn the same conclusion that you have.

A local junior college has LOTS of Macs. They seem to breed in universities like tribbles.

I cannot say this strongly enough...

I HATE MACS!!! :mad::mad::mad:

I despise them.... :(

I could never figure out anything on them and so much of their software seems to be counter-intuitive.

But that's just me.

Put it this way... I would NEVER buy one.

EVER

Now Big Macs, on the other hand... why that's a whole different matter!

_Kyle_

Yeah, I"ve pretty much drawn the same conclusion that you have.

A local junior college has LOTS of Macs. They seem to breed in universities like tribbles.

I cannot say this strongly enough...

I HATE MACS!!! :mad::mad::mad:

I despise them.... :(

I could never figure out anything on them and so much of their software seems to be counter-intuitive.

But that's just me.

Put it this way... I would NEVER buy one.

EVER

Now Big Macs, on the other hand... why that's a whole different matter!

But Macs are built well. They have great build quality, they are just overpriced, and OSX is a bit restrictive.

Darren

Staff member
Macs are great products. They're very well made and great for a lot of users. That said I never ever would purchase one as they're incredibly overpriced and useless for my usage. But anybody is lying through their teeth if they tell you they're not built well and last a long time. You're not paying for the physical specs, you're paying for the design and OS (assuming you like OS X).

strollin

Macs are great products. They're very well made and great for a lot of users. That said I never ever would purchase one as they're incredibly overpriced and useless for my usage. But anybody is lying through their teeth if they tell you they're not built well and last a long time. You're not paying for the physical specs, you're paying for the design and OS (assuming you like OS X).
So I'm lying through my teeth when I say that the Mac Mini I owned was of just average build quality? Of all the computers I have owned and or built in the last 30 years, the Mac Mini was the single most disappointing. Absolutely nothing outstanding about it. I scratch my head to this day trying to figure out why people buy into the Apple BS.

Darren

Staff member
So I'm lying through my teeth when I say that the Mac Mini I owned was of just average build quality? Of all the computers I have owned and or built in the last 30 years, the Mac Mini was the single most disappointing. Absolutely nothing outstanding about it. I scratch my head to this day trying to figure out why people buy into the Apple BS.
Actually yeah I'll give you that. The Mac mini's were not good. I suppose I should refine my statement into basically all relatively new models of Macbooks and iMacs (last 10ish years). Those Minis did suck.

I'm no Apple fanboy, the only devices I've ever owned from then was an iPod Touch before I got a smartphone. I also hate working on Apple stuff, overly complicated and I've fried more than 1 or 2 components on them in the past. I just have a newfound respect for Apple stuff after working as a repair tech, they definitely age better than the vast majority of Windows machines.

Actually yeah I'll give you that. The Mac mini's were not good. I suppose I should refine my statement into basically all relatively new models of Macbooks and iMacs (last 10ish years). Those Minis did suck.

I'm no Apple fanboy, the only devices I've ever owned from then was an iPod Touch before I got a smartphone. I also hate working on Apple stuff, overly complicated and I've fried more than 1 or 2 components on them in the past. I just have a newfound respect for Apple stuff after working as a repair tech, they definitely age better than the vast majority of Windows machines.

I hear ya, bro...

and the stuff is SO overpriced.

...and this is for stuff that you KNOW you're gonna have to upgrade.:cool: