DVD drive problem!

jon76

Hi all, I've been having massive problems with my dvd drive, it isn't recognised in my computer, there's a problem with it in device manager, it says "Windows cannot start this hardware device because its configuration information (in the registry) is incomplete or damaged. (Code 19)", I've tried uninstalling and restarting the computer, it just says hardware installation failed, I've tried registry cleaners, I've tried disconnecting the ide cable booting up, then shutting down, reconnecting the cable and booting up again, I've tried manually downloading the driver, it just says windows has determined the driver is up to date. I have had Damon tools lite on lately and wondered if that has caused the problem, this is now uninstalled though and still won't help, I can't even use system restore, as it fails apparently due to my antivirus, even though I've disabled all antivirus and retried, . Anyone any ideas how to solve this, it's destroying my brain! thanks

Last edited:

beers

Staff member
It sounds like you have some additional problems as well.

Opitcal drives die too. DVD drives should only be a couple of quid, probably worth just picking up a replacement than spending hours worrying about it.

I'd probably sort out the OS/software issues before buying anything though.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Yes there is a fix. On my phone at the moment but will post it up later. And yes its a registry issue causing the problem.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Yes, that would be the fix. However, I've had more luck doing it manually then running fix program. The manual method requires editing the registry which can be dangerous if you don't follow instructions. Here are the steps.

1. If running Vista or 7 then in the search box type the following without the quotes "regedit" and hit enter. Then navigate to this entry.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

In the right hand side of the page, delete the following keys.

Upperfilters
Lowerfilters

So you would right click on right side where it says upperfilters and click on delete, then do the same thing if lowerfilters appear on that screen then reboot your system. You should now have access to your dvd drive.

jon76

Thanks all for the help, I actually reformatted, only just got back on this morning and remembered to check on here when I got home, I am however bookmarking the help I've got today in case the problems recurs, so I'll post back in the event I need to use it, but it's working (for now). I've usually avoided manually doing anything in the registry as I'm not advanced enough and would probably bodge it up, but I have followed instructions/looked for specific things to delete to get rid of malware before, so I'd give that a go if needed