DVD drive wont read windows 7 disk

wbt50

Unfortunately im having more trouble with my first build.
My DVD drive can't read Windows. Its the full version by the way. I think its probably a bad dvd drive so is there any other way to install windows ?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Is the cdrom set for first boot device? Usually the hdd is set for first device. Go into the bios and change the boot order to cdrom first.

Also, is this a microsoft genuine OS install cd or a burnt copy?

wbt50

Is the cdrom set for first boot device? Usually the hdd is set for first device. Go into the bios and change the boot order to cdrom first.

Also, is this a microsoft genuine OS install cd or a burnt copy?

CD rom is set for first boot. Genuine Microsoft disk.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Do you have another bootable cd available to try? If not, you just may want to get a known working dvd drive and try it. Do you have another computer to test the OS cd to see if it will boot?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Are you sure your drive is a dvd drive and not just a cd drive? What drive do you have?

Benny Boy

IDE is a sata port setting in the BIOS. If you haven't changed any of those settings to ACHI, then they are probly all set to a default of IDE. But you could take a look at it just to double check/familiarize yourself. The port numbers are labeled on the mb. The BIOS is where you choose the setting. You want the port the rom is connected to, to be set to ide.

Example: My ASUS has the IDE/ACHI port settings grouped together. Ports 1-4 can be ide or achi, and 5&6 can be ide or achi. I have 5&6 set to IDE and rom connected to one of those.

If you don't have an ssd, you can just set all sata ports to ide, unless you use any ACHI features. If you do, then keep the rom on ide and set the hdd & ssd port(s) to achi.
http://www.differencebetween.net/technology/difference-between-ahci-and-ide/

wbt50

IDE is a sata port setting in the BIOS. If you haven't changed any of those settings to ACHI, then they are probly all set to a default of IDE. But you could take a look at it just to double check/familiarize yourself. The port numbers are labeled on the mb. The BIOS is where you choose the setting. You want the port the rom is connected to, to be set to ide.

Example: My ASUS has the IDE/ACHI port settings grouped together. Ports 1-4 can be ide or achi, and 5&6 can be ide or achi. I have 5&6 set to IDE and rom connected to one of those.

If you don't have an ssd, you can just set all sata ports to ide, unless you use any ACHI features. If you do, then keep the rom on ide and set the hdd & ssd port(s) to achi.
http://www.differencebetween.net/technology/difference-between-ahci-and-ide/

I have 1 ssd drive so I guess I need the ahci. My MB is asus p8z77 v, any vuides on how to only change the cd rom to ide and leave the hard drives on
Ahci. I seem to only hwve option to change them all

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Put the ssd on a on grey sata connector and the cdrom on a blue sata connector and see if that helps. I doubt this is the issue though. It's either the cd or the drive I feel.

wbt50

Put the ssd on a on grey sata connector and the cdrom on a blue sata connector and see if that helps. I doubt this is the issue though. It's either the cd or the drive I feel.

Its like that anyways :(
I'm starting to feel like I wasted £1000 and hours of time now. Anyone else have any suggestions please ?
Appreciate any help

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
You will have to try a different drive or try booting the install cd in another computer. This is the way to proper diagnose what the actual problem is.

wbt50

You will have to try a different drive or try booting the install cd in another computer. This is the way to proper diagnose what the actual problem is.

I have, the cd loads in another drive, but when I use that drive in this pc, I have the same problem

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Then it seems you need to get a new dvd drive. Have you tried setting the sata controller to ide to see if it will boot the install cd?

wbt50

Then it seems you need to get a new dvd drive. Have you tried setting the sata controller to ide to see if it will boot the install cd?

Well, I've tried another dvd drive and the exact same thing happened so I don't think its the dvd drive. I've tried setting it to ide and again nothing :( What can it be ?

wbt50

Does the bios detect the dvd drive? Perplexing issue here.

Yes, This is the 3 options from boot menu I have -

90uhe0.jpg