DVD drive wont read windows 7 disk

StrangleHold

Staff member
Other then just saying it cant read the windows disk. What exactly is it doing when you try to boot to the disk? Error/Please insert bootable disk/Blank screen. Does it have a pop up that says press any key to boot from CD/DVD ROM?

wbt50

I have a black screen for about a minute, then it just says -
Reboot and select proper boot device
Or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key

It just fails to read the disk

wbt50

I can't see it being nothing else other than a bad boot disk, I've pretty much tried everything.
Any other suggestions?

wbt50

If its any help I just noticed a red led light with the word "boot device led" under the light.

wbt50

After around 40hours of troubleshooting, I suspect it's a conflict between my dvd drive, and the UEFI BIOS. Is there any way to install Windows off a USB drive ?

wbt50

I installed Windows off a USB flash drive and it worked out great. So thanks everyone for helping :) Everything seems to be fine. I think it is some kind of a conflict between sata connections and the dvd writer as it still doesn't work in Windows.
I've just ordered a'n external dvd writer using USB connection now so it should be fine.

I'll check what BIOS version it is this evening but do you think it could be something to do with that ?

Last edited:

StrangleHold

Staff member
Believe it or not, but I have had a few SATA Samsung and LG DVD drives that just will not boot from a CD/DVD with AHCI enabled. Will work just fine after the OS loads though. Never found out what the problem was with them.