dx10

xxxalpinexxx80

id rather run 2 8600 in sli then 2 7900gs and i might stikk with xp for at least 6 month

Any one know the minimum requirements for the power you need to run 2 geforce 8600gt in sli,

hermeslyre

VIP Member
they estimate geforce 8600gt - to be 150-250 dollars i am probably going to get one of them then wait and later on get another 8600, the 8800 runing in sli waste other slot if you need them like i do

8600gt is $150

8600 ultra is $180.. it seems to be the best bang for your buck.

hermeslyre

VIP Member
The r600's are going to be released in march,correct? I'd love to be able to afford one ofthose..:) early tests show the r600 beating out the 8800gtx on UNOPTIMISED drivers..

Geoff

VIP Member
And from what i've heard they are pretty horrible right now, although ATI has some pretty solid Vista drivers out.

tlarkin

VIP Member
[-0MEGA-];577204 said:
lol, are you just hearing about this? It's been known for several months, and people have been talking about it on this forum for a few months, lol.

No I have know about for some time, read the date on the article. I just don't read every post on this forum

However, MS said the same thing about IE 7, that it would only be released with vista...so we will see how they go

TheOrteganator

Wait... so I need to upgrade to Vista in order to get DX10? Which means I'll need Vista to play DX10 games?

Or, can I still have DX10 games on XP, they just won't be quite as good?

Last edited:

tlarkin

VIP Member
Well since I have not actually gotten my hands on a DX10 card yet, nor are they even out for consumers anyways....I can only assume that DX10 cards will be backwards compatible with DX9, or MS will release DX10 for XP.

DX10 is suppose to fix a lot of the overhead that DX9 had, and of course intergrate new technologies as well. Now, if the first is true then manufacturers will want legacy support for XP machines so they will probably release drivers, however since MS says no DX10 on XP you wouldn't benefit from the features I suppose. However, that would bring up an even bigger problem for developers, which means they might have to bump up their minimum requirements on their games to Vista compatible OS. Which is another way to force you to upgrade to Vista, which IMHO is crap.

Anyways, we won't know anything until DX10 hardware becomes readily available. I can only imagine that they will end up supporting XP systems. That makes sense if they want to keep their customer's and developers happy.

tlarkin

VIP Member
I just got my copy of Ultimate in the mail and I am not even going to bother tossing it on any of my personal machines for a while. I actually hate windows for the most part but use it for 2 things: 1) gaming 2) I support it at work

Once linux or mac gaming catch up and get better I'll ditch windows for good, even though I don't really game that much anymore. Heck I haven't played CSS or BF2 in months.

Geoff

VIP Member
Wait... so I need to upgrade to Vista in order to get DX10? Which means I'll need Vista to play DX10 games?

Or, can I still have DX10 games on XP, they just won't be quite as good?
Yes, you will need Vista to play DX10 games if you wish to take advantage of what DX10 offers.

No I have know about for some time, read the date on the article. I just don't read every post on this forum

However, MS said the same thing about IE 7, that it would only be released with vista...so we will see how they go
From what I hear, DX10 was completely redesigned, and is only capable of working on Vista's platform, not any others as of yet.

Yeah. I'd rather keep that performance sucking Vista crap out of my computer if I can help it.
I actually get basically the exact same performance on XP as I do with Vista, and thats having Aero active and using its other features, such as the sidebar. Even though I only have around 450-500MB free, it still plays games the same.

tlarkin

VIP Member
From what I hear, DX10 was completely redesigned, and is only capable of working on Vista's platform, not any others as of yet.

Yeah but come on, I mean DX10 is an MS product, so of course they are going to say, "Well you see it only runs on vista!"

I still don't see how the vista platform is such an upgrade from the XP platform, there is no major over haul anywhere that I can tell. I guess you are referring to the kernel Omega, which I suppose could make some sense.

I still think its asinine.

TheOrteganator

I definitely want to keep my Windows XP, but if I need Vista to play new games that are going to require DX10, I'll be left with no choice.

ADE

banned
I think Vista is a step in the right direction. From what I hear, its better in every single way. I all up for it.