"Dying" randomly/blackouts

beers

Staff member
So why haven't you done anything about it since you last mentioned that in October? ;)

The VCR King

The computer is usable, and this only occurs every 10 or so days, and I can just reboot it and it's back to normal for awhile.

Punk

Staff member
Ram passed the test. I think it is a power supply issue.

How long did you run the test? It needs at least four hours to be sure. Let it run so we can completely rule out the RAM.

EDIT: but yeah sounds like a bad PSU to me, try another one to be sure.

The VCR King

Bump!
I finally managed to record a video of what happens so you guys can SEE what the PC does! Maybe we can finally figure this out!

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
How about you build a new computer already?

Did you check your suspend mode? It's probably in S1 sleep or something.

Laquer Head

Well the saving now is toward a first car for myself. The PC is a second priority now but I want to finally figure out wtf is going on with it so it doesn't explode or something and I really am screwed.

Its admirable that you are dedicating savings to a vehicle, I think that is a smart decision and will benefit you in so many ways, moreso than a PC could.

As far as your rig goes, I think you know what people are gonna say, you've been having issues for minimum 2 years now.. it kinda is what it as at this point. You need some new gear..plain and simple. I don't think any amount of analyzing is going to change this fact.

I know you have a thirst for knowledge, and thats awesome, but there comes a time where you need to say - hey this just aint worth the sweat!

spirit

Staff member
Sounds like some kind of short or other motherboard issue. How about disconnecting your internal card reader and maybe the USB hub? I've seen at work sometimes older PCs that are on the way out won't display or anything with certain USB ports populated or even when a network cable is plugged in.

You've replaced pretty much everything now apart from the board and CPU, so difficult to really suggest anything other than you have some kind of board defect. How often does this happen now?

The VCR King

Sounds like some kind of short or other motherboard issue. How about disconnecting your internal card reader and maybe the USB hub? I've seen at work sometimes older PCs that are on the way out won't display or anything with certain USB ports populated or even when a network cable is plugged in.

You've replaced pretty much everything now apart from the board and CPU, so difficult to really suggest anything other than you have some kind of board defect. How often does this happen now?
I've tried all the above to no avail. This happens about once or twice per week