"Dying" randomly/blackouts

spirit

Staff member
No. I know I should but I am honestly scared to because I have a fear of something freezing up and then the motherboard is dead...
You'll only brick the board if you remove the media the BIOS file is on whilst it is flashing or the power goes out. It takes a couple of seconds to do and I bet it will help to solve your issue. Get your motherboard manual and read up on how to do it. then do it.

You've done stuff far riskier than flashing the BIOS in the past - running your PC on a crappy PSU for 2 years, for example. ;)

The VCR King

You'll only brick the board if you remove the media the BIOS file is on whilst it is flashing or the power goes out. It takes a couple of seconds to do and I bet it will help to solve your issue. Get your motherboard manual and read up on how to do it. then do it.

You've done stuff far riskier than flashing the BIOS in the past - running your PC on a crappy PSU for 2 years, for example. ;)

I have no way to get into the bios. Even with a crappy PS/2 keyboard, when I power up the PC the MSi spashscreen comes and goes so fast that the keyboard isn't even powered on and Windows is already loading.

spirit

Staff member
I have no way to get into the bios. Even with a crappy PS/2 keyboard, when I power up the PC the MSi spashscreen comes and goes so fast that the keyboard isn't even powered on and Windows is already loading.
You can probably download a program from MSI that will flash it through Windows without the need to go into the BIOS. See what your manual says.

If not, you'll have to buy/borrow a USB keyboard, but it's likely that updating the BIOS could help solve your issue. If you update it (and your motherboard drivers) and there's still a problem, then you are likely experiencing some kind of board failure.

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
You can probably download a program from MSI that will flash it through Windows without the need to go into the BIOS. See what your manual says.
This is generally how things are done these days.

I have no way to get into the bios. Even with a crappy PS/2 keyboard, when I power up the PC the MSi spashscreen comes and goes so fast
You're not hitting the key quick enough then.

Darren

Staff member
This is generally how things are done these days.

You're not hitting the key quick enough then.

No he's right. Some MSI BIOS are flat impossible to get into, even if you sit there spamming the key constantly. My previous board pretty much required me to use the MSI utility to get to BIOS. I just disabled quick boot when I needed to get into BIOS, otherwise I'd have to load into Windows then restart using the MSI utility.

The VCR King

No he's right. Some MSI BIOS are flat impossible to get into, even if you sit there spamming the key constantly. My previous board pretty much required me to use the MSI utility to get to BIOS. I just disabled quick boot when I needed to get into BIOS, otherwise I'd have to load into Windows then restart using the MSI utility.
Mines impossible to get into, at least for me. Like I have to take it to a shop when I have reinstalled Windows in the past because it boots up so fast that it doesn't even have a chance to spin up the install DVD and read the boot disc info and BOOM! login screen.

spirit

Staff member
Mines impossible to get into, at least for me. Like I have to take it to a shop when I have reinstalled Windows in the past because it boots up so fast that it doesn't even have a chance to spin up the install DVD and read the boot disc info and BOOM! login screen.
Have you looked into seeing if you can flash the BIOS through Windows like suggested?