E8500 or Q9550? Please give me your view!

FairDoos

Hey,

Pick one chip out of these 2 in the thread name im going to use either one of these on my next build :) Im going to be gaming alot so take your pick :)

THANK YOU

P.S I was thinking the E8500 more?

DirtyD86

banned
well they are $100 different... the Q9550 is the better CPU, maybe not for gaming, but 2.8 stock for a quad is no slouch. if it were me I would get the E8500 and put the $100 you save towards a better video card

FairDoos

well they are $100 different... the Q9550 is the better CPU, maybe not for gaming, but 2.8 stock for a quad is no slouch. if it were me I would get the E8500 and put the $100 you save towards a better video card

You read my mind :p

Langers2k7

You've got to remember that, even now, clock speed is still king with gaming. That E8500 will easily reach 4ghz and beyond overclocked, which won't bottleneck on any card you throw at it.

bomberboysk

Yeah, well i would have to go against the crowd here... sooner or later games are going to take advantage of multiple cores, and the Q9550 can reach some decent clock speeds on air, heck, my Q9450 is 50mhz shy of 4Ghz, and its not running at suicide voltages either. So i would suggest the Q9550 over the E8500.

2048Megabytes

The E8400 processor is $15 less than the E8500 and gives about the same performance.

I should have waited to post until I had more time. I think you should get a Q6600 processor for $200 (or another Core 2 Quad). The 8XXX Core 2 Duos are overpriced. For $35 more dollars you could get a good Quad-Core over a Dual-Core processor.

I guess as long as people are willing to shell out money for the overpriced Core 2 Duo processors the market will continue to sell them at the current prices.

The Phenom II 810 Quad-Core (2.6 gigahertz) has more processing power and is only $5 more than the Core 2 Duo E8400.

markallen

You've got to remember that, even now, clock speed is still king with gaming. That E8500 will easily reach 4ghz and beyond overclocked, which won't bottleneck on any card you throw at it.

My Q9550 is @ 4.0 ghz and it runs every game I play perfect(COD 4,COD 5,F.E.A.R. 2, Rainbow Six Vegas 2 etc.).I vote for the Q9550.:good:

bomberboysk

Prices on quads have dropped enough now that it is worthwhile to go ahead and get the quad

Yup, like i said earlier.... quads can get within 5-10% of the clockspeed of their dual core counterparts, and the extra 2 cores can run background processes and such, i personally think that the combination of the extra cores even with the slower clock speed helps gaming because you dont have to run other background processes on the cores you are gaming with;)

Mitch?

banned
Definitely the quad. The 8500 will give you marginally better gaming performance, so long as you're background isn't cluttered with tasks; the 9550 will give you better everything, and the 2 cores will help considerably.

CardboardSword

Another thing to consider is, like previously mentioned, games will soon become threaded for more than two cores, making the quad not only the better choice, but also making the dual core obsolete. Dual cores are running the end of the line by this point, so I wouldn't invest in any processor that didn't have at least tri-cores.

there is a reason they call me el quad core. go with the Q9550. when games start taking advantage of 4 cores you will be happy u got it.