Electrical Grounding

Oddler

Would you recommend using your PC Case to touch before touching your PC Parts you're about to install for no electrical transferring

tremmor

Yes.
And touch the ground on the plug. If you have cold winter and static it could be barefeet.
Stupid but true. A charge could be bad like here sometime. You can also buy a ground strap from like Radio Shack to wear and ground your self. Winter can be a big build up with charge. I don't carry it to the extreme side. but could. touch the metal frame on the tower.

Last edited:

novicegeek

tremmor, good answer, that's what I would have said, but you probably said it better than I would have. Oddler, I'll second what tremmor said.

tremmor

I used to do a lot of electronic work but not much now. Its old equipment and ham radio etc. Don't play much any more. Its done now but thanks.

tremmor

The tower will be grounded if metal. You do not live in a cold climate. Don't worry.
The metal screw that holds in the receptacle works fine. its a touch. Bare feet was for me mostly. Zero outside but not now with sox and sometime get a shock. Touch the tower if metal. Bare metal and not the painted part. I made a big deal of it. Sorry.

Okedokey

What tremmor is trying to say is that static electricity kills electronics. The warmer the temperature, the more energised ions and magnetic fields are, and able to be created. That is static electricity happens mostly in warmer climates.

You need to essentially remain at the same charge as the computer to prevent a discharge. That happens by first touching the computer case, whilst it is plugged in and off at the wall (needs the earth).

My first degree was avionic engineering with the RAAF. We worked in mushroom factories with static bands. Older electronics were much more susceptible.

These days, it’s a non-issue. Just touch the chassis. OR you can add a 1M ohm resistor between you and everthing other than the computer ;)

Last edited:

MMM

You need to essentially remain at the same charge as the computer to prevent a discharge. That happens by first touching the computer case, whilst it is plugged in and off at the wall (needs the earth).
;)

When you touch the earth of a computer or wear a static band you have effectively discharged your self of static electricity which minimizes the risk of electronics being damaged by static electricity.

Yeti

VIP Member
The warmer the temperature, the more energised ions and magnetic fields are, and able to be created. That is static electricity happens mostly in warmer climates.
I'm not sure how you are coming to that conclusion. Typically the humidity has the largest effect though dissipation of a static charge because of the increased electrical conductivity of humid air (a similar effect would be realized with high ion concentration in the air). In cold climates the air will have a lower relative humidity in a warmed buliding and thus be more prone to static discharge.

MMM

I would not worry too much about warm or cold humid or dry conditions for static electricity in households, just be aware of what carpets you have in Dwellings as this is the biggest culprit for generating static when moving around a house.
I have had many experiences in customers premises when walking on certain carpets where you can build a decent charge to the point it gives you a noticeable shock..... Ouch it can hurt at times.