Errors when running different types of games

Nar57981

Alright, like the title says I've been getting an error that says something like "a thread has gotten stuck in the graphics driver".

What will happen is, while I'm playing a game it will run fine for a while, then it will get stuck in a small loop and play a sound over and over, then the computer will restart and I'll get a message to report the problem.

After I report the problem it takes me to a microsoft page that tells me to basically shut off all the graphics acceleration. Which being a gamer, and not knowing what exactly it'll mean....I don't want to shut off something that makes my computer look better.

Does anyone know what kind of problem this might be? There was also a mention that the graphics card I have might be bad. Which is bad for me, since I don't have the money right now to get a new one.

One other thing. This has always happened while playing an online game. (Warcraft III, Halo, Lord of the Rings: Online Beta). So might it also be that my internet shuts off on me and the graphics driver doesn't know how to deal with it? (It shuts off while doing online stuff sometimes)

System Specs:
Processor: AMD X2 3800
Motherboard: Biostar 6100 AM2
Memory: Giel 1gb DDR2 800mhz
HDD: 80gb IDE 7200rpm (used from an old Compaq)
Video Card: BFG 7600 GT 256mb

Sorry but I also forget which driver I am using. I know it's a custom one. Could someone tell me how to check. Or suggest a good one for me to try?

Thanks for all the help!

Nar57981

Alright. I installed the 'suggested' drivers from the Nvidia page =)

But I tried to play Halo again and it went for about a minute and then crashed. After it crashed it told me to try running dxdiag and I did and tried to run tests on the Direct3D Acceloration. It failed on the '7 test', '8 test', and it canceled on the 9.

Um...I guess I'll post my DxDiag on filefront: here

Is there a way to fix this, or do I need to contact BFG, or am I just screwed?

thanks for the help!

eric92park

And also.. for Nvidia drivers remember to remove the old driver first... or somethings it creates some annoying errors

Nar57981

Alright I tried disabling Direct3D, then enabling it. And it still failed.
I then downloaded the DirectX 9c from the link you game me...then retried the tests, and it failed. I then disabled/enable and it still failed.
So no help from that ><

@ eric92park:
I used Driver Cleaner Pro 1.5 when I uninstalled the driver

BTW I found out that the other drivers that I had were NGO drivers.

Thanks for the help!

hermeslyre

VIP Member
You may be able to solve this by reinstalling your chipset drivers, do you still have the motherboard cd?

http://forums.belution.com/en/directx/000/000/35s.shtml

I've heard this could also be caused by a dying video card and/or a faulty PSU. If your sure any of these aren't the problem and you've tried reinstalling the chipset drivers i recommend doing a repair install of windows. I'm quite perplexed.. :confused:

Nar57981

Alright now that I've reinstalled the chipset drivers it will passes the tests....but when I try to play Warcraft III, it'll go for a little bit, let me log onto Battle.net and then it will freeze up and make me hold down the power button to shut the computer off.

This has been the first time that I tried to play Warcraft III, which I found out that it was a Direct3D, but the problem was also happening to me in the same way when I tried to play the game Narbacular Drop (precursor to Portal) I assume that it's also a Direct3D game....

Also I have reinstalled windows before (I'm on my third since January). I reused my old HDD, that wouldn't be the problem would it?

Also is there a way of checking if my graphics card or PSU is dying? Because this has been happening to me since I first tried playing Narbacular Drop (because in February maybe) and they were both about a month old then, and still going strong. Games like Counter Strike work perfectly by the way.

Thanks for the help!

elitehacker

Have you tried to run a benchmarking program called 3Dmark? If that runs, then it rules out your power supply and graphics card.

Nar57981

Um...I ran it when I first got my computer (like 9x my last one's score XD).
I'll try running it again and I'll tell the results.

Nar57981

Alright. 3D Mark 2006 worked fine (except for the fact that I'm basically the lowest in my similar computer setups.

I looked at the driver that the person with the highest make used (he got 3 times my score with a X2 3800 @ 2.2 and an extra stick of RAM). I think I'm going to try using that driver and see if theres a difference.

The driver is v8.4.2.1 . I'll tell you if I can run my Direct3D games. (any thoughts on this driver?)

hermeslyre

VIP Member
I used it for awhile there.. nothin special. The poor score can be indictive of a failing powersupply or not enough amperage.. If you have a Program called speedfan run it and tell us what it says of your +3.3v,+5v,+12v. Should be on the lower lefthand corner of the first page.. Can you also check the amps on the +12v? this will be located on the side of your PSU.

Nar57981

Alright I forgot that I didn't have the Athlon X2 optimizer installed on my computer after I reinstalled windows. So I installed that, then I installed the 84.21 drivers and everything is working fine now! As for the low score issue:

+3.3V: 1.20V
+5V: 5.04V
+12V: 11.46V

on the side of my PSU:

+12V 1: 14A
+12V 2: 15A

hermeslyre

VIP Member
Even better your powersupply looks fine, so I wouldn't worry about the poor scores.. in fact it's probably the worst way to gauge system performance. As long as it actually performs like it should, no worries.

Oh and Glad to hear you got it working again!

:)

Nar57981

Alright Warcraft 3 worked for about a day...but now it's right back to playing for a while, then getting stuck in a little loop and it makes me hold down the power button to turn it off. But the new thing is this: the DxDiag tests still work! along with 3D Mark. One other thing that didn't work is Narbacular Drop, which again brings me back the the Direct3D problem.

I was talking to BFG Tech and they said that my +12V was a little low. Could something like the +12V going too low make my computer do this?

Any Ideas? ><

Thanks

Nar57981

Alright I tried running PC Wizard 2007 in the background, since it measures my GPU temperature. It stayed at 51 degrees the hold time, so I don't think it's overheating. Unless somehow it just random shoots up to temperatures in 5 seconds, only in these Direct3D games. Then I don't think it's a temperature thing ><

Do you think that it could be my bad HDD? Sometimes my system lags when I start up songs and other things, like it had never done before I reloaded windows. Like sometimes it will knock me off the the internet and reconnect when it does it's lag. I was thinking about upgrading to something like a $80 SATA HDD. Do you think that would help?

hermeslyre

VIP Member
In my opinion no. I've had the same things happen to me also, so i don't think it's a problem.. When the games "loop" do you receive an error of any sort? By loop you mean play the same thing over and over again, right?