Everyone I need your help

EWC88

Sorry I should of stated what I was saying clearer...

I have a Desktop PC right now thats extremely old, slow, and just crap.. Because I'm a college student and will eventaully be moving out space is a big thing, so a Laptop will be best for me..

I have by all means no problem with Windows..My mom runs XP on her Dell laptop and on her HP Desktop ( I use the desktop alot ) and I like it alot..Vista I never touched before, I have no problem with trying out new things so that doesn't matter..

The only problem I'm having is if I should go into the Mac world or stay with the Pc world...

I don't really know what are good brands, I mean Mac I know is and HP is too..Dell I'm a little iffy with myself because of past computers in my house that have been problems right from the start and there support sucked..even though my moms new laptop is good and so far nothing..

This laptop will be used for AIM, Email, school work, Ipod, reasearching etc..

Hope that clears everything up alot better!

that

tlarkin

VIP Member
This laptop will be used for AIM, Email, school work, Ipod, reasearching etc..

Any basic laptop will do that, be it Mac or a PC. It just comes down to features and benefits and your price range and preferences.

A Mac will do it all and give you every feature you need out of the box.

A PC can't quite do all that a Mac can out of the box but it can with third party.

Depending on other uses, like gaming, audio recording, film editing, etc, could also play into what you want your laptop for.

EWC88

how does something like this look?

HPdv9700t series: Upgrade to Genuine Windows Vista Ultimate with Service Pack 1 (64-bit)
• Intel(R) Core(TM) 2 Duo Processor T8300 (2.40GHz)
• 17.0" diagonal WXGA+ High-Definition HP BrightView Widescreen Display (1440 x 900)
• 4GB DDR2 System Memory (2 Dimm)
• 512MB NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GS
• HP Imprint (Radiance) + Fingerprint Reader + Webcam + Microphone
• Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 4965AGN Network Connection
• 240GB 7200RPM SATA Dual Hard Drive (120GB x 2)
• LightScribe SuperMulti 8X DVD+/-RW with Double Layer Support
• No TV Tuner w/remote control
• High Capacity 8 Cell Lithium Ion Battery
• Norton Internet Security(TM) 2008 - 3 Year Subscription
• Microsoft(R) Works 9.0

all for $1712.99

Now I can probably go with a 15.4" instead of a 17"

but any thoughts?

Last edited:

PunterCam

Those specs are complete overkill for what you're wanting to do; I 've always saved my cash and bought what I needed.

As a rule, 1Gb ram will run XP very well, and 2Gb will run Vista at a similar speed (as far as my experience goes). The 4Gbs on that spec will go to waste with word processing etc... Future proof? A laptop will no doubt die long before an upgrade would be required (again based on my experience - I'd never have a laptop as my main computer. My flat mate just had his sony vaio die with all his work on it - end of uni is weeks away...)

I'd be tempted to get a solid, quick, but basic desktop and buy a macbook as well (the fact that they're small is the appeal, they're lovely little things!).

EWC88

For the genuine vista it needs they say 62bit and the 4gb is what would be needed it stated thats what I put that..

I think I will go with the 15.4" instead..

And I'm still questionable because I can get a mac book pro for the same prioce...

Vizy

Vista? No. Vista does not need 4gb of ram. its a complete waste. Trust us, frome xperience, 2gb is enough for vista, especially for what your planning to do.

And the 'bit' thing. Only 64 bit os can read more than 3.25gb of ram.

EWC88

Also lets just say just in case if anyone wants to tell me what they recommend for a laptop the budget is 1700

tlarkin

VIP Member
Vista? No. Vista does not need 4gb of ram. its a complete waste. Trust us, frome xperience, 2gb is enough for vista, especially for what your planning to do.

And the 'bit' thing. Only 64 bit os can read more than 3.25gb of ram.

Actually, 32bit OSes can read up to 4Gig of RAM, it is a hardware and OS limitation that causes it to recognize less than 4gig.

Furthermore, 64-bit OSes also can take advantage of 64-bit instruction sets, which is another advantage. However, the developer of your app, the OS, and the hardware all have to support it, so there is no real advantage for an end user running 64bit at this point in time.

Server side stuff 64bit is where its at.

EWC88

Actually, 32bit OSes can read up to 4Gig of RAM, it is a hardware and OS limitation that causes it to recognize less than 4gig.

Furthermore, 64-bit OSes also can take advantage of 64-bit instruction sets, which is another advantage. However, the developer of your app, the OS, and the hardware all have to support it, so there is no real advantage for an end user running 64bit at this point in time.

Server side stuff 64bit is where its at.

What do you suggest for a laptop then? or even what brand/model do you recommend? budget once agian is $1700

tlarkin

VIP Member
What do you suggest for a laptop then? or even what brand/model do you recommend? budget once agian is $1700

If you want a PC laptop get an Asus, HP business class, or Lenovo.

If you want a Mac get a Macbook Pro, but save up like 200 more dollars (get your educational discount as well, which is about 10%), err maybe with the educational discount it will be around $1700, you should look into that.

This is why I don't work sales because I never forced something on to someone. Do you live near a computer store? Go "test drive" a bunch of laptops and get a feel for what you like. Then post back what you like about each brand and why and we can better determine what you should get. I can sit here all day and tell you what I prefer, but that doesn't mean you would prefer the same things I do.

EWC88

If you want a PC laptop get an Asus, HP business class, or Lenovo.

If you want a Mac get a Macbook Pro, but save up like 200 more dollars (get your educational discount as well, which is about 10%), err maybe with the educational discount it will be around $1700, you should look into that.

This is why I don't work sales because I never forced something on to someone. Do you live near a computer store? Go "test drive" a bunch of laptops and get a feel for what you like. Then post back what you like about each brand and why and we can better determine what you should get. I can sit here all day and tell you what I prefer, but that doesn't mean you would prefer the same things I do.

I did try out the Macbook Pro and was pretty impressed if I must say so myself, and with the educational discount it goes down to $1799.

I also look at some HP's ( I was at bestbuy ) and I liked them as well..

Now I did like some features on the Mac, the back in time thing they have were when you delete something and earse it from your trashcan that you can retreive it back...also I did like the speed of it...The only thing that I'm questionable about is people tell me that I shouldn't get the Macbook Pro because yes it will work for what I want a laptop for but its really design for graphic art and things like that which really I'm not going be doing a whole lot of. ( mostly AIM, Email, School work, Music, )

I'm just all confused cause I don't really have the knowledge like everyone on here has with computers so this process of me picking out a laptop is taking forever..I just really want one thats going be GREAT for my needs and LAST as long as possible...Grant it I do want to get also a exterior storage thing ( don't know what its called but I know you can hook it up to your laptop and save stuff to that so its not taking up your laptop memory )

tlarkin

VIP Member
Well then it seems like you narrowed it down to a macbook pro or an HP, if you do buy HP I suggest you buy their business class, much better laptops.

Don't worry about what people say about Macs, I use them all day every day, and they get the job done. You can do everything you want to do on a Mac. It just comes down to your personal preference.

BookWen

you can change from old ram to one new!
but I suggest you buy a new laptop.I think the brand of dell is good.you can consider it.

EWC88

Yea I am going to for sure buy a brand new laptop, and Dell I'm a little iffy on with them..

I'm going check out a consumer report mag and other laptop mags to see what the top choices are...

EWC88

Ok I got a consumer reports that is from this months issue (june 08) I figured 15.4 is the screen I want I don't need the 17. Since I'm not on a budget I decided to look at the better ones and they show either the MacBook Pro or HP Pavillion dv6700t as the top 2..

Now what do you guys think I should go for out of those 2? If you pick the HP I was thinking of customizing it to have 3GB of memory ( thinking of 4 not sure ) and should I do the 250 or 320GB for the hard drive?

Kill Bill

MacBook Pro 17'' 2.5GHz or the 15'' 2.5GHz the 2.4GHz 15'' is soo last year. And the MBP goes up to 4GB of ram and a 250GB HDD 5400RPM but the 300GB is at 4200RPM which is ipod HDD speed and it will be like that on the HP. Just buy the 250GB 2.5GHz C2D,8600M GT 512MB SDRAM,2 or the 4GB of Ram, 15''/17'' Display and then buy a mybook External HDD.

Last edited:

EWC88

MacBook Pro 17'' 2.5GHz or the 15'' 2.5GHz the 2.4GHz 15'' is soo last year. And the MBP goes up to 4GB of ram and a 250GB HDD 5400RPM but the 300GB is at 4200RPM which is ipod HDD speed and it will be like that on the HP. Just buy the 250GB 2.5GHz C2D,8600M GT 512MB SDRAM,2 or the 4GB of Ram, 15''/17'' Display and then buy a mybook External HDD.

So your saying get the HP?