Exploding PSU

anotherkind

hi

2 psus have exploded in my pc whilst playing graphics intensive games (bioshock 1st time + farcry 2 second). im about to buy another 450W psu. is it jus the psu that's the problem or is my setup particularly explosive? would like to know b4 i blow(!) more money on it. cheers.

2.8ghz pentium d
2gb ddr2
280+320 hdd
ati 1800
dvd/cd
aureon sound
tv tuner

Last edited:

bomberboysk

hi

2 psus have exploded in my pc whilst playing graphics intensive games (bioshock 1st time + farcry 2 second). im about to buy another 450W psu. is it jus the psu that's the problem or is my setup particularly explosive? would like to know b4 i blow(!) more money on it. cheers.

2.8ghz pentium d
2gb ddr2
280+320 hdd
ati 7800
dvd/cd
aureon sound
tv tuner

Watts mean nothing, a cheapo 450watt is worse than say, an antec earthwatts 380W. Amperage is the most important factor, next to manufacturer(Pcpower&cooling, OCZ, Zalman, Thermaltake, Corsair, Xclio, Seasonic, etc are good brands while Powmax/Xion/etc are cheapo's not to trust).

anotherkind

thanks for the help.

i jus used that calculator and it said i needed only 273 Watts! Why/how could the psu blow? could it be a temperature thing?

cheers

/\E

thanks for the help.

i jus used that calculator and it said i needed only 273 Watts! Why/how could the psu blow? could it be a temperature thing?

cheers

Could be temperature. But more than likely it's just due to the Taiwanese rapid manufactured units that you've used in the past.

anotherkind

lookin at da psu it has loadsa amperage values next to colours in brackets... which 1 is of importance? its made by advance? my first psu was prob pretty cheap, and this one too it seems, but i got this second one off me mate who had had no problem runnin farcry 2 on it. i even have his old graphics card (love a good hand-me-down). which amperage number is significant?

cheers

bomberboysk

lookin at da psu it has loadsa amperage values next to colours in brackets... which 1 is of importance? its made by advance? my first psu was prob pretty cheap, and this one too it seems, but i got this second one off me mate who had had no problem runnin farcry 2 on it. i even have his old graphics card (love a good hand-me-down). which amperage number is significant?

cheers

+12v

bomberboysk

which units are these?

Any units that are not manufactured by a quality brand, cheap power supplys can be found all around. I only trust a handfull of power supplies(A list of decent psu manufacturers: Ultra, Some Rosewills, Corsair, Pc power and cooling, Corsair, OCZ, Zalman, Xclio, Seasonic, Antec)
Learn more here:
http://www.computerforum.com/90116-psu-good-bad-list.html
http://www.computerforum.com/90112-psu-rebranding-guide.html

it's 15A. too low, perhaps?
Much too low, what kinda budget you have for a new power supply and where are you located?

Last edited:

anotherkind

problem solved then it seems. low budget for me. savin for pilgrimage to SE asia. livin in england. anythin to suggest? thanks again for your help.

Intel_man

VIP Member
Your friend has a lower spec computer than you do maybe?

Buy a Corsair. It's a brand you can trust. PLUS, it has lifetime warranty. :)

anotherkind

must be. i hear pentium d is a bit of a power hungry processor. anyway. i was wondering if it is possible to get a suitable psu for up to £25, and if so which 1? if not, i will have to settle for a cheapo and populous: the beginning. im sure i'll survive. again, thanks for all the help.

Springy182

cheers

Doesnt matter if the game worked with the PSU and another system, this is a different system, it sounds like you've had a pair of generics (Did your friend play it for very long?)

Get an OCZ SXS 500W, SXS are both 'budget' and sturdy, and my 600W model more then powers the blue rig in my sig ;)

bomberboysk

Doesnt matter if the game worked with the PSU and another system, this is a different system, it sounds like you've had a pair of generics (Did your friend play it for very long?)

Get an OCZ SXS 500W, SXS are both 'budget' and sturdy, and my 600W model more then powers the blue rig in my sig ;)

To the op- SXS means StealthXStream;)