external cd/dvd drive

Discussion in 'CD/DVD/Blu-ray Technology' started by jedccop, May 30, 2019.

1. jedccop

jedccop Member

can anybody recommend a good external cd/dvd drive please (in uk),thank you jedcop

2. johnb35

johnb35 Administrator Staff Member

As I said in your other thread, we would need to know what online stores you can shop at or what nearby electronics stores there are.

3. _Pete_

_Pete_ Active Member

PC World. Stupidly expensive. Your local friendly computer shop. Not so expensive and generally know what the are talking about (unlike Pc World). Ebay. Loads on there from cheap to expensive. I'm in UK and I have a couple of external DVD players, because a lot of manufactures have stupidly decided that nobody uses disk media any more. Mine are the cheapys off Ebay and I have had them for a couple of years and they work, still work, fine.

4. AlienMenace

AlienMenace Well-Known Member

Check Newegg.com in the UK.

5. jedccop

jedccop Member

thanks a lot....

6. _Pete_

_Pete_ Active Member

7. beers

beers Moderator Staff Member

That's been the standard for a while, optical media has effectively gone the way of vhs.

OmniDyne and Darren like this.
  8. Darren

Darren Moderator Staff Member

Just emptied out my grandparents basement. DVD player went to recycle right along with the VHS.

9. AlienMenace

AlienMenace Well-Known Member

Sorry but I have a lot of good movies still on DVD, so I'll stick to mine.;)

10. Darren

I go out of my way to not use physical media almost. I've been at my new job 3 months now and I still haven't ever picked up a pencil/pen and my notepads are still sealed. I know a lot of people have media collections though, so I understand why people like it still and know that my situation isn't typical.

AlienMenace likes this.
  11. jedccop

jedccop Member

can anybody please answer the question that i have asked in the first place which is:WHICH IS THE BEST CD/DVD DRIVE TO BUY?,i am asking because there are so many on amazon...................please help somebody

12. johnb35

johnb35 Administrator Staff Member

13. jedccop

jedccop Member

i live in the uk.the one that you are looking at is JUST A DVD BURNER,i want a cd/dvd drive

14. Darren

It does all of that.

You'd be hard pressed to find a DVD burner that DIDN'T also read and write CD's.

beers likes this.
  15. jedccop

jedccop Member

do yopu recommend this one?

16. Darren

Should be fine. Most drives are the same, just read reviews.

beers likes this.
  17. beers

beers Moderator Staff Member

This really. Just pick the speed, interface and price. Not difficult. It's a basic device.

18. jedccop

jedccop Member

thanks everyone for their help

19. digzu

digzu New Member

Are there any USB disc drives that are bootable? I don’t actually need one since my desktop has a DVD drive but I’m fairly curious if such a thing exists (I had one for an old netbook a while ago but it wasn’t possible to boot from it).

20. Darren

Yeah I think really any USB drive is bootable with a proper boot disc in it, if not then it's likely an issue with not being able to boot from USB devices or other BIOS setting.