Failing to start rebuilded pc.

Virssagòn

VIP Member
Hey guys,

so I recently rebuilt my dads old pc...
It had no psu anymore, so I bought a new one. First I tested with the old mobo, it did work for the first time, second time, it just didn't start anymore.
Now, I bought a new mobo (M3A32-MVP Deluxe) from ebay. And I built the pc again. AGAIN the same problem, couldn't start via power button.
The thing is, the led on the mobo gives light... I really don't know or the power button is damaged (looked at it and doesn't look damaged..), or the 2 mobo's don't work OR my new psu is just faulty??
All things properly connected,...

What do you think? Getting really frustrated over here :S.

Smile

wolfeking

banned
have you tried jumping the power leads to start it?

also try the paperclip test on the PSU and check the readings with a watt meter and volt meter.

wolfeking

banned
do you have a multimeter? If so, that will at least give you an idea of teh volts coming off.

Paperclip is all that is necessary to test if teh PSU will power on. Or a rod of any conductive material. the copper out of an old coax cable works pretty well.

Virssagòn

VIP Member
Try each stick of RAM individually if you have more than one :)

Nope, the pc would have turned on and just give a beep. Nothing to do with the RAM, worked ok before I replaced PSU...

Have to see or I got a multimeter somewhere here. Anyway, this weekend, I can try with a working PSU from my grand.

Darren

Staff member
Do you really not have a paperclip lying around the house? Or even a metal hanger that you can cut up?

Okedokey

Given the PSU worked before I doubt it doesn't now.

I do agree though, systematic approach is needed.

Please provide pictures of the pc built outside the case.

Virssagòn

VIP Member
Given the PSU worked before I doubt it doesn't now.

I do agree though, systematic approach is needed.

Please provide pictures of the pc built outside the case.

This is a new PSU, didn't work before.
The light on the mobo burns, when I press the start button, it's doing nothing.
Also, the power sw is connected right,...
Maybe it could be the button that's damaged?
At the moment, all hardware is without case, because the case I use is itx...
Will take some pics soon.

kbit

No solution here , just wanted to say I had a mushkin psu that "died" yet would turn on with power button , all fans would spin , led on mb would light , cpu and case fans worked but other than that, nothing , no video , no post . Took a week before I bought a new psu and all was good again.

spirit

Staff member
Have you tried to connect the two power pins together using a screwdriver or something like we discussed on Steam, Smile? Just to rule a DOA board out of the equation.

Have you also tried building the system out of the case? The board could be shorting on the case.

Virssagòn

VIP Member
Have you tried to connect the two power pins together using a screwdriver or something like we discussed on Steam, Smile? Just to rule a DOA board out of the equation.

Have you also tried building the system out of the case? The board could be shorting on the case.

Building it out of case.
And no, it doesn't start with the 2 pins touching.
Anyway, the other mobo had the same problem, so...
But could it be its the PSU, even if the light on the mobo is burning?

spirit

Staff member
I think it is a PSU issue you're having. Can you try the board with another power supply and see if the problem persists?

Virssagòn

VIP Member
Just tested with another one, still same problem. Also tried with my new PSU in another rig and it works... So, very weird, 2 mobos not working or could it be that my cpu is damaged?

Darren

Staff member
Have you reseated the CPU, RAM, and GPU? I had a computer that wouldn't start because the CPU was ever so slightly unseated.