Failing to start rebuilded pc.

Okedokey

Just tested with another one, still same problem. Also tried with my new PSU in another rig and it works... So, very weird, 2 mobos not working or could it be that my cpu is damaged?

Ok so is this right:

1. You tested the new PSU with your new motherboard, it worked, then didin't.
  2. You tested the new PSU with a different motherboard inside your computer. (Please confirm that you didn't change any other components besides PSU and motherboard).
  3. You TRANSPLANTED the PSU from your normal rig into another computer and it worked. Right?

This is looking less likely to be the PSU or motherboard. It first sounded like a bad 'motherboard-good signal' that turns the PSU on. This is controlled on the motherboard. But since you've tried several and it does the same thing, its unlikely.

The fact that the PSU works in a different computer fine indicates that it is fine too.

I would point your attention to grounding issues, damaged USB ports etc not in the motherboard, but in your case. Taking the issue back to root cause, (half split method), means that the issue probably relates to your case - as it has been the only thing that has remained common throughout; and hasn't been tested or looked at.

If you've bench tested it then yeah, you're down close to thinking CPU.

Please check no socket pins are bent.

Last edited:

FuryRosewood

Ooo...didnt think about that...make sure your standoffs are correct and nothing shorting? I had that happen, no start due to a shorted out board.

Darren

Staff member
I had a USB port (on the backside of the motherboard) shorting out my motherboard and preventing it from posting. Everything would spin up but no post.

Virssagòn

VIP Member
Ooo...didnt think about that...make sure your standoffs are correct and nothing shorting? I had that happen, no start due to a shorted out board.

I stationed the board on a box, so could it be I got it shortened? There"s nothing between the board and this box. (carton)

Virssagòn

VIP Member
So, I only use the button from the case, nothing more.
What's connected to the board: 24P main power connector, 8P cpu connector, ATX power (button), Power Led (button), Sata connector, cpu fan connector.
Think that's it.

So, I got my setup out of the case laying on a box (no standoffs), both mobos not working, all 2 mobos have their lights on, but don't seem to power on when I press the power button or bind the 2 pins from pwsw together. I tested the psu in a system, all in case (so with standoffs), and it worked. The old mobo did work before, Idk or the other did or not.

So, could it be that I shorted the 2 mobos? When I placed it on a carton box?
Tried with another PSU like I said, gave the same problem.
Also, my old mobos fans spin up for 5 secs when I set 0 to 1 on the psu. (only one time, trying to do it again, I need to remove the power and plug back in)

What you think guys?

WeatherMan

I know you said your RAM is fine way back in the thread, but has it been tested in another system?

All this moving around of your components could have developed a problem. I know that's unlikely, but you seem to have swapped out so many components now and still not found the issue.

We know it's not the PSU as it works with another system
Both boards seem to have identical problems.

It's not a case grounding issue if as you've run it caseless on a box (btw won't cause any grounding issues with cardboard)

I would do as bigfellla says and drop another CPU in there, or if you can't and you haven't tested the RAM place just one stick in there see if there is any change if you haven't already done that.

I know you're pretty certain that the RAM is okay, but I have had many problems somewhat like this in the past, and totally bypassed thinking it was RAM like you too :)

Last edited:

Virssagòn

VIP Member
Okey guys, got it working on 1 board (sadly it's not the new one...).
I had to use a gpu to be able to boot, so I did and it works now.
Now I know nothing is damaged but my new mobo...
Thanks for your help though!
If someone of you got an overclockable AM2/AM2+ board, contact me!

Okedokey

Okey guys, got it working on 1 board (sadly it's not the new one...).
I had to use a gpu to be able to boot, so I did and it works now.
Now I know nothing is damaged but my new mobo...
Thanks for your help though!
If someone of you got an overclockable AM2/AM2+ board, contact me!

Thats great. But didn't you say it happened on both mobos?