Favorite Brands for PC parts

The VCR King

I haven't seen a thread for this yet, but when you guys all build PC's, what brand do you tend to lean toward for each part?

A few of my opinions:
Hard Drives
Western Digital. All of my PCs, whether it's one I built or a pre-built, have had a WD drive in them, and they are so reliable! I have some old IDE WD drives from 2001 in a NASBox and they work perfectly. The Blue Beast is running on a WD Caviar Black from 2010.
top.jpg

CD burners
I like the drives made by Memorex. They are just re-badged Lite-On drives but the Memorex drives look good, perform good, and are reasonably priced. My old HP had a Memorex drive swapped into it when the factory drive died and hooked up to my gaming PC I have an external Memorex IDE drive. I make mix CDs for my family to listen to in their cars, and I make CDs for myself, and over the years I have probably burned over 400 CDs in my one Memorex drive, as I count my empty spindles. Lol.
be7fb4b8-a23c-4126-bb3d-56ce9d1d92ba_1.d43c1cc536ec8777dbf41b4537829379.jpeg

CPU coolers
Zalman is my favorite brand of cooler. My rig has a CNPS-9900MAX-B in it, and my old HP Pavilion had a cheaper Zalman copper cooler swapped into it many years ago.
zalman_7700_cu.jpg

Video cards
Sapphire brand. I've only used Sapphire cards my whole life. I love them.
sapphire_logo.jpg

Now tell me your opinions. What brands of computer components are you guys loyal to?

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
LOL cd burners.....

Processor: Intel
CPU Cooler: CoolerMaster (I loved my Hyper N520)
Motherboards: Gigabyte
RAM: G.Skill
Video Card: nVidia MSI/ASUS/Gigabyte
Hard drives: Western Digital (used to be WD and Seagate until Seagate went to shit)
SSD: Intel/Samsung/Crucial
PSU: CoolerMaster/Corsair
Monitor: Dell UntraSharp
Case: Lian-Li

Last edited:

Darren

Staff member
Processor: AMD
CPU Cooler: Corsair
Motherboards: Gigabyte, although I like my AsRock so far. Anything but Biostar honestly.
RAM: G.Skill and Corsair
Video Card: Sapphire AMD
Hard drives: Seagate (not 2TB+, rest are fine)
SSD: Samsung and Crucial
PSU: Corsair
Monitor: Irrelevant to brand really, IPS is the main thing really
Case: NZXT

Intel_man

VIP Member
CPU: Probably Intel for the past bajillion years.
CPU Cooler: Zalman when I bought my current rig, Noctua for anything air cooled, Corsair for AIO, EKWB if I can justify selling my kidney for a WC Kit.
Mobo: Definitely EVGA.
RAM: Corsair or G.Skill... mostly Corsair.
Video Card: The cheapest one with a proper cooler on it... Probably EVGA though. Their CS is second to none.
Harddrive: WD
SSD: Anything Samsung or Intel. Can't go wrong with either.
PSU: Corsair.
Monitor: LG or Dell. Never got a chance to try out the Asus panels.
Case: Corsair Obsidian stuff. Coolermaster is good too.

beers

Staff member
CPU: AMD
CPU Cooler: whatever is best cost/performance
Mobo: epox, but they went out of business. I liked ASRock for a while but they are getting less innovative as time goes on. Probably Asus/gigabyte
RAM: Gskill or crucial. Corsair seemed kind of flaky after their ddr1 xms line
VGA: amd/ati and gigabyte if possible
All my Nvidia cards had a habit of dying after about two years.
SSD: Samsung
Hard drives: Hitachi/HGST, now a WD brand
PSU: seasonic or EVGA

_Glitch

CPU: Intel (But if i should upgrade right now, i'll go AMD)
CPU Cooler and case fans: Coolermaster, corsair or bequiet
GPU: Nvidia. prefered vendors: EVGA and ASUS, but doesn't matter too much. Using Gigabyte atm.
Mobo: ASUS all the way
RAM: Corsair or kingston. Mostly corsair though.
SSD: Samsung all the way.
HDD: Don't care. They are all equally slow. But i guess i would take ether a HGST or WD. Don't have an HDD in my system atm.
PSU: Seasonic or Corsair

CD burner: WTF is a CD??

Last edited:

Calin

CPU: AMD (will upgrade to Ryzen soon)
CPU Cooler: Custom loop, but for case fans I prefer the Corsair AF/SP series with the rings. For the loop parts I prefer EK for the waterblocks and soft tubing + fittings, Primochill for rigid tubing and fittings and Alphacool for radiators.
GPU: Nvidia Reference/Founders models
Mobo: Don't really have a preference but Gigabyte worked the best for me
RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum
HDD: I'd say Western Digital. I had a 160GB HDD from them that lasted from 2007 to 2016
PSU: Seasonic and all PSUs that are rebranded Seasonic units
Case: Caselabs ;)
Monitor: Anything that's not AOC

Laquer Head

Processor: Intel (die-hard....not fan boy but maybe a bit)
CPU Cooler: Corsair (I currently use a H115i, but in general I like their AIO coolers)
Motherboards: MSI (used to be die-hard Asus guy, but 3 MSI boards later and still my top brand--- (ingore the fact I'm using an ROG Asus currently)
RAM: HyperX or G-Skill
Video Card: Nvidia for last 5-6 cards (Last AMD/ATI was an X800XL agp.. yah I know)
Hard drives: Western Digital
PSU: Corsair (prior to Corsair I used a PC/Power&Cooling unit for 9 years)
Monitor: Asus
Case: Corsair (only use corsair but will also look at phanteks and nzxt)

The VCR King

voyagerfan99 said:
Hard drives: Western Digital (used to be WD and Seagate until Seagate went to shit)
I remember watching a video on Reddit where a tech support office had like a hundred or so failed Seagate 4TB drives and they lined them all up on the floor and played dominoes with them.

Edit: Why does this say edited by a moderator? Was there a typo in my original post?

Last edited:

voyagerfan99

Staff member
I remember watching a video on Reddit where a tech support office had like a hundred or so failed Seagate 4TB drives and they lined them all up on the floor and played dominoes with them.

Edit: Why does this say edited by a moderator? Was there a typo in my original post?
Because you ****ed up the quote tag, so I fixed it.

Deadpool

Processor: AMD
CPU Cooler: Whatever is good and cheap. Generally Corsair, Cooler Master or Deepcool.
Motherboards: AsRock for sure. They make good stuff very cheap.
RAM: Same as cooler.
Video Card: Anything but PowerColor and Zotac. Although their stuff is good and cheap so I should revise that one.
Hard drives: WD.
SSD: Samsung, Crucial, Intel, Mushkin, PNY, Corsair, Kingston.
PSU: Seasonic, EVGA, Corsair. They make good stuff cheap.
Monitor: Only used Dell.
Case: Phanteks, NZXT, Thermaltake. Some of their cases look sick and have a reasonable price.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Processor - Used to be Intel, been AMD since, but may get an I7 but gonna watch what the Ryzen 1600+ can do and if it beats the 7700K
CPU cooler - Coolermaster but I think I'll be going to the Cryorig H7 next build.
Motherboard - Definitely and only Gigabyte from now on.
Ram - Gskill
Video Card - Sapphire
Hard Drive - Western Digtial
SSD - Samsung
Psu - Corsair, Evga
Moniter - Asus, Acer
Case - Coolermaster

Because you ****ed up the quote tag, so I fixed it.

Banned for dropping the F bomb too many times. :D

Calin

Good to see quite a few people prefer AMD. On other forums there is a lot of hate towards AMD.

voyagerfan99

Staff member
Good to see quite a few people prefer AMD. On other forums there is a lot of hate towards AMD.
That's because they've sucked for years. I was all for AMD but with them keeping AM3 and AM3+ and the FX series not being anywhere near innovative, I gave up on them and switched to Intel. Glad to see they've gotten their shit together with Ryzen though.

mistersprinkles

Hard Drives
Western Digital. All of my PCs, whether it's one I built or a pre-built, have had a WD drive in them, and they are so reliable! I have some old IDE WD drives from 2001 in a NASBox and they work perfectly. The Blue Beast is running on a WD Caviar Black from 2010.
top.jpg

AGREED

CD burners
I like the drives made by Memorex. They are just re-badged Lite-On drives but the Memorex drives look good, perform good, and are reasonably priced. My old HP had a Memorex drive swapped into it when the factory drive died and hooked up to my gaming PC I have an external Memorex IDE drive. I make mix CDs for my family to listen to in their cars, and I make CDs for myself, and over the years I have probably burned over 400 CDs in my one Memorex drive, as I count my empty spindles. Lol.
be7fb4b8-a23c-4126-bb3d-56ce9d1d92ba_1.d43c1cc536ec8777dbf41b4537829379.jpeg

NAME AN OPTICAL DRIVE THAT ISN'T REASONABLY PRICED AT THIS POINT...
CPU coolers
Zalman is my favorite brand of cooler. My rig has a CNPS-9900MAX-B in it, and my old HP Pavilion had a cheaper Zalman copper cooler swapped into it many years ago.
zalman_7700_cu.jpg

THAT'S FUNNY BECAUSE ZALMAN COOLERS ARE HORRIBLE IN TERMS OF THEIR PERFORMANCE.
Video cards
Sapphire brand. I've only used Sapphire cards my whole life. I love them.
sapphire_logo.jpg

THERE ARE BETTER CARDS OUT THERE..
Now tell me your opinions. What brands of computer components are you guys loyal to?

Deadpool

I don´t know, I have a Sapphire card and I don´t see anything wrong with it. I don´t know about the Zalman coolers though.