Favorite Computer Company?

What is your favorite computer company?

• Total voters

4W4K3

VIP Member
SFR said:
This is why I got myself away from computer games many years ago. I was able to allow myself to enjoy an older game without creating a facade that I needed a NEW VIDEO CARD.. AND MORE RAM... to run these games.

oh man same here. i'm just NOW enjoying games like Splinter Cell. I still play re-playable games like Roller Coaster Tycoon as well. When everyone has moved from Doom3 to sumthin else, i'll just be getting it lol. I don't really like competing or comparing benchmarks in the latest and greatest games, it just makes the whole "game" aspect of it diminsih. i get a decent computer to play a decent game and have fun, NOT to go online and get told "dude ur PC is crap, you need to upgrade if u want to run with the big dogs." i guess some people just can't accept average/mediocre.

SFR

Truth fears no questions
4W4K3 said:
oh man same here. i'm just NOW enjoying games like Splinter Cell. I still play re-playable games like Roller Coaster Tycoon as well. When everyone has moved from Doom3 to sumthin else, i'll just be getting it lol. I don't really like competing or comparing benchmarks in the latest and greatest games, it just makes the whole "game" aspect of it diminsih. i get a decent computer to play a decent game and have fun, NOT to go online and get told "dude ur PC is crap, you need to upgrade if u want to run with the big dogs." i guess some people just can't accept average/mediocre.

Very true.

I look at computers as an opportunity to make money. Since my father’s first computer (Mac Pro) in the early 90's... when he bought a 20MB hard drive for $750.... I have loved computers (of course I like my current computers and HDD’s a little bit more than that one.. But I understand what I need from a computer and Doom3 is nowhere on that list.

I see computers as a chance for a little extra income too and I want to soon start building and selling computers. And hey, mabye one day I'll be a big computer tycoon as now I am only 12 and I know quite a bit of computers. Now this is a big contriversary. Around April, I purchased a Dell 2400. I put my old hd in, a 512 card of ram, and its excellent. I do moderate gaming, and this computer doesn't give any problems. On occasion the internet will lag but that might be my wifi connection or a bunch of other things. Anyway Dells are excellent, cheap machines and are more than they are said to be. And as for old computers, I may not be that old but I remember one day, my dad brought home a HUGE computer chip. I take it out of it's bubble wrap and I was puzzled. (This was back around 2000 so you can imagine my surprise). I ask my dad what it was and he said it was memory, and of course I asked how much was on it and he said two megabytes. I was dumbfounded. And this chip was only a few years old. Going on to a new story we still have some unpacked boxes from when we moved around 3 years ago. In one of those boxes in our living room is a very old Apple 2 G something or other. And again, this is only around 15 years old. So look at what rates things change. I remember in the late 1990's dialing up to AOL version 3.1 on our gateway 3000. The point of these stories: I don't know. I just wanted to point out how quickly technology is being improved and how some people might have 2gigabytes of RAM nowadays, in a couple of years 2 gb might be pretty crappy. So take advantage of what you have now. What this has to do with anything that has been posted so far: I really don't know. Just thought I'd share. Again, if you have any PC components you'd like to recomend to me that'd be great. Enough of my rambling- I'm going on like I'm 70 years old and lost the sense of when to stop. :) I wonder how bad I'll be when I turn 70. . . .

Bobo

banned
computermaineack said:
I see computers as a chance for a little extra income too and I want to soon start building and selling computers. And hey, mabye one day I'll be a big computer tycoon as now I am only 12 and I know quite a bit of computers. Now this is a big contriversary. Around April, I purchased a Dell 2400. I put my old hd in, a 512 card of ram, and its excellent. I do moderate gaming, and this computer doesn't give any problems. On occasion the internet will lag but that might be my wifi connection or a bunch of other things. Anyway Dells are excellent, cheap machines and are more than they are said to be. And as for old computers, I may not be that old but I remember one day, my dad brought home a HUGE computer chip. I take it out of it's bubble wrap and I was puzzled. (This was back around 2000 so you can imagine my surprise). I ask my dad what it was and he said it was memory, and of course I asked how much was on it and he said two megabytes. I was dumbfounded. And this chip was only a few years old. Going on to a new story we still have some unpacked boxes from when we moved around 3 years ago. In one of those boxes in our living room is a very old Apple 2 G something or other. And again, this is only around 15 years old. So look at what rates things change. I remember in the late 1990's dialing up to AOL version 3.1 on our gateway 3000. The point of these stories: I don't know. I just wanted to point out how quickly technology is being improved and how some people might have 2gigabytes of RAM nowadays, in a couple of years 2 gb might be pretty crappy. So take advantage of what you have now. What this has to do with anything that has been posted so far: I really don't know. Just thought I'd share. Again, if you have any PC components you'd like to recomend to me that'd be great. Enough of my rambling- I'm going on like I'm 70 years old and lost the sense of when to stop. :) I wonder how bad I'll be when I turn 70. . . .

heeheehee, I'm sure we all can't wait until you're 70 :eek:

You are mostly correct, technology is moving along pretty fast, except for Intel's CPUs. They have been stuck at 3.8GHz for a while, bc of some problems with their 4GHz model, in the meantime, AMD has been catching up. Anybody know anything about the 4GHz CPU that was to be?

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
the 4GHz Prescott that was planned will probably never see the light of day. Intel has shifted focus to producing dual core (due out ~2006) and low power chips like the Dothans. A 4GHz may still come out but it will need a different core or some kind of monster stock air cooler

Bobo

banned
Cromewell said:
the 4GHz Prescott that was planned will probably never see the light of day. Intel has shifted focus to producing dual core (due out ~2006) and low power chips like the Dothans. A 4GHz may still come out but it will need a different core or some kind of monster stock air cooler

What would dual core do?

SFR

Truth fears no questions
Bobo said:
But then would the speed be 2x?
from that article:
A dual core processor is between a single core processor and a dual processor system for architecture. A dual core processor has two cores but will share some of the other hardware like the memory controller and bus. A dual processor system has completely separate hardware and shares nothing with the other processor.

A dual core processor won't be twice as fast as a single core processor nor will it be as fast as a dual processor system.

It will fall somewhere in the middle but there are going to be specific advantages.

There will be two pipelines and that means there can be two sets of instructions being carried out simultaneously.

There will also be two processor caches to keep more of the necessary "tools" or data on the processor die for faster access.

Bobo

banned
SFR said:
from that article:
A dual core processor is between a single core processor and a dual processor system for architecture. A dual core processor has two cores but will share some of the other hardware like the memory controller and bus. A dual processor system has completely separate hardware and shares nothing with the other processor.

A dual core processor won't be twice as fast as a single core processor nor will it be as fast as a dual processor system.

It will fall somewhere in the middle but there are going to be specific advantages.

There will be two pipelines and that means there can be two sets of instructions being carried out simultaneously.

There will also be two processor caches to keep more of the necessary "tools" or data on the processor die for faster access.

Oh. Cool.

But you said somewhere in between single core and double processer. How do they advertise what speed it is if it is "somewhere in bettween"? Or will they advertise the speed of what the single core equivilent would be?

SFR

Truth fears no questions
Bobo said:
Oh. Cool.
Bobo said:

But you said somewhere in between single core and double processer. How do they advertise what speed it is if it is "somewhere in bettween"? Or will they advertise the speed of what the single core equivilent would be?

I will leave the advertising to a marketing guru, but I imagine they will advertise the speed closer to "2X as fast as a single core processor" rather than " somewhere in between"

..in other words: I have NO clue... but if they start saying "2X as fast as the same speed, single core processor" ... you know they will be manipulating the truth to sell their product...

Bobo

banned
SFR said:

I will leave the advertising to a marketing guru, but I imagine they will advertise the speed closer to "2X as fast as a single core processor" rather than " somewhere in between"

..in other words: I have NO clue... but if they start saying "2X as fast as the same speed, single core processor" ... you know they will be manipulating the truth to sell their product...

hello, who doesn't do that?

I should watch them closely, if they advertise that and don't put a disclaimer...I will be on top of them so fast :D

I would love to put them out of business....for no other reason other than AMD is better (imo)

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Not in that list but VoodooPC... their cable origami is unmatched :) (and their vapor exchange units are uber nice). Other than that (and FalconNW) id prolly stay away from brand-name computers :)

Bobo

banned
Praetor said:
Not in that list but VoodooPC... their cable origami is unmatched :) (and their vapor exchange units are uber nice). Other than that (and FalconNW) id prolly stay away from brand-name computers :)

Very smart of you!

heeheehee, i know first-hand how annoying brand-name computers can be