Favorite Laptop Manufacture

What is your favorite laptop manufacturer?

• Dell

Votes: 6 12.2%
  • HP/Compaq

Votes: 9 18.4%
  • Gateway

Votes: 2 4.1%
  • Toshiba

Votes: 6 12.2%
  • Apple

Votes: 4 8.2%
  • Sony

Votes: 4 8.2%
  • IBM

Votes: 3 6.1%
  • Acer

Votes: 8 16.3%
  • Other

Votes: 7 14.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Geoff

VIP Member
I had several Acer's but they all were pretty poor IMO. They are pretty cheaply maid, and the batteries are crap.

I prefer Dell, because they have great deals, built tough, and batteries last 6 hours +.

4W4K3

VIP Member
I've only had Dell and Compaq personally. Compaq blew the Dell's out of the water, but it wasn't really a fair comparison :p

I think I would have to pick Toshiba, Acer, or HP/Compaq. So I'm gonna go with Compaq since I own one and it's not caused me any issues yet! BrightView screen is amazing, it never gets hot (24/7 F@H), and they are decent bang for buck PC's.

ANNR

Sony, simply like the way they look. Its a little to expansive. So i will buy Toshiba instead even though i vote for sony.

Ben

VIP Member
I had a hard time deciding between HP, Dell and Acer, I went with HP, they come up with some pretty nice stuff.

lovely?

alienware is expensive, hot, bad battery life, laptops suck for gaming, not many people like alienware anymore, and for good reason

and i prefer acer because of the screens

youtin

Sony!!! It really sucks that they're very expensive but I own one and I'm very pleased with the quality. And the screen is just gorgeous. If I get rich enough, I'll be buying a VAIO again one day :D

If not, I might be getting a Mac or a Toshiba..

Ben

VIP Member
[-0MEGA-];564757 said:
Actually, this thread is asking your personal opinion :)

I think Alienwares are great laptops, they are just overpriced.

Overpriced...hm...I'd have to agree with that, but if I ever had enough money, I would consider getting one. I'm sure it would be a joy on the road. :)

tlarkin

VIP Member
this is a rehash of another thread, but there is only one answer. Apple! I have a macbook pro C2D, and man it is the most kick ass laptop I have ever owned.

I have worked with and/or owned just about every laptop out there. I work IT for a living and in the past I have worked for warranty repair centers as a lead tech. Working there I have supported a plethora of clients and taken apart and repaired just about every laptop in existence.

Acers - not bad, but they use cheap crap parts -decent linux support

HP/Compaq - don't bother unless you buy business class (buisness class is not bad) I have a HP nc4200 laptop I run suse on and it, and its not bad at all good linux support

Sony - over priced, do not perform any better than their competitors, their support sucks, however, they make thin laptops. that is a plus in my book - their linux support sucks

Dell - too big and chunky, if I wanted a tough laptop I would buy a panasonic tough book. overall completely not impressed however their online deals are freaking cheap

Alienware - not even worth it

toshiba - indifferent, don't like them don't hate them

winbook - good price, would only buy one if I got a deal on them

Apple - they make the best laptops hands down. 1" thick, powerful core 2 duo processors, the ability to run any OS make them the most compatible out there, sleek design, the down sides are price, and compatibility (as in sometimes cheap ram won't work in them). Their laptops are easily comparable in price if you take account all that they can do out of the box and the hardware they are built on, but not ever user needs that.

A laptop is meant to be mobile, so I look at functionality and mobile computing. with my macbook pro I am easily about 10 times more productive with it. I can run any OS and any application on it, allowing me to use it to demo things to bosses and other people in presentations, allows me complete access to just about anything I want. It looks good and professional. I do not game on my laptop, in fact i think gaming laptops are a complete waste of a laptop. You can't upgrade a laptop and if its protable gaming you want just build a LAN PC to take to your LAN parties. I get about 3.5 hours of use out of my macbook pro, but I also have a back lit keyboard, and a screen running bright at full resolution as well.

Taking apart and repairing an apple laptop is annoying, they are not my favorite to take apart by any means. They are however the best laptop you can buy in my personal and professional opinion.