Favorite Web Browser

What is your favorite web browser?

• Total voters

kb1ghc

It's not what IS in firefox, it is what ISN'T in firefox.

Internet Explorer has alot of features, features that are taken advantage of, like instant installation of plugins and searchbars and stuff. plus there isn't ActiveX in firefox. but in firefox, you need to WANT it to install it.

and yes Firefox has an extreamly effective pop-up blocker. i NEVER get pop-ups, and yet, i never have a problem with opening new windows and stuff. Firefox is pretty smart.

The only 2 websites I have a problem with firefox on are Windows Update, and LAUNCH

Believe me Firefox is THE BEST BROWSER ON EARTH!
1. Secure, No exploits.
2. Best pop-up blocker, doesn't block stuff you want, blocks stuff you don't want.
3. Sites LOOK better
4. More Features
5. Open-source
6. lots of great support, and developers that love to hear your ideas.
7. RSS feed reader build in (on newer nightly builds)
8. Customizable themes.
9. FREE (Really free, unlike exploder)
10. Runs on almost any OS: Win, Mac, Unix.
11. Thunderbird keeps your mailbox 99.99999999% SPAM free
12. Better text copying - keeps formatting, even if pasted into a plain text box. (like notepad)
13. Tabbed browsing - more than one page in 1 window, really useful for comparison shopping
14. copy image locations (great for forums)
15. secure password storage (encrypted and stuff, unlike IE)
Great "extentions":
Adblock - Blocks banner ads, based on URL and wildcards are allowed (so you can block "http://ads. (anything)" (makes loading sites faster)
Autofill - Autofill forms, and have multiple identitiys like "FAKE" and "REAL"
BugMeNot - a database of usernames and passwords for many sites, check out bugmenot.com
Download with - use download accelerator of your choice for downloads
Downthemall! - makes a complete copy of a website, includeing all the hyperlinks
GoggleBar - Searchbar for google
Linkification - Turns text urls, into clickable hyperlinks

Lorand

<b>VIP Member</b>
WOW, that was an awesome presentation...
If Firefox wasn't free, you could be a hell of a salesman for them. :D

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
TechNews said:
Still, Internet security firms say that switching browsers is little more than a knee-jerk reaction to a problem that will remain regardless of which browser is used. They urge computer users, instead, to take proactive approaches to prevent and guard against intrusions before they strike.
Switching browsers can cause two problems. One, users have to deal with incompatibility issues. Two, users trade off one set of known vulnerabilities for another set of potential problems.

Nice features, the only one id have a use for is the tabbed thingy but it didnt work out the way I wanted it so I gave up. Some minor technicalities though:

1. Far too broad -- no exploit yet
3. Subjective
11. Your browser does nothing to impact spam (unless thunderbird is something totally different) .... then again with 400emails/hour ... an extra click here and there doesnt make much of a difference to me
12. Is there a way to turn that off? (seriously, I actually want it to be raw copied.... when I copy with IE it preserves the formatting and fonts and crap and all I want is the damn raw text)
13. Is there a way to auto-toggle with the tabs (i.e., same root doman = new tab, new root domain = new window and to make specific configurations for specific sites?)

If you can match 12 and 13 there I'll switch

LETS NOT TURN THIS INTO A FIREFOX/IE THREAD. MAKE A NEW THREAD IF YOU INTEND TO DO SO

kb1ghc

1. There have actually been a total of 3 holes found in firefox, patched before anything happened.

3. is just my opinion, but take a look for yourself if you want.

11. Thunderbird is the "next generation" mail client, that is Firefox's "sister" program if you want to call it that.

12. I use an "extention" called copy plain text that works great

13. Again, there are some great "extentions" for tabbed browsing that will prolly let you do what you want. You can set any "open in new window" to actualyl just create a new tab. But tabbed browsing isn't a feature that is forced apon you, if you like 99 windows, you can do that too. if you like 1 window, you can do that. But usually you just need to right click "open in new tab" if your comparison shopping or something.

and for those 3 websites on the internet that don't work right in firefox, there is an extention called "IE view" just right click a link (or background) and click "view in IE"

[tab]

[...]
You forgot my favourite extension (the one that finally got me to move from Opera)... mouse gestures :)

Christopher

VIP Member
Just an anti-virus here.

As for #3. I have to agree. IE messes everything up, it's a pain in the ass to have to design pages that work with IE. Get's me very very angry!

But you can't forget the great themes for FF. You may say "My Windows style is nice", but once you start using some of the sexy themes for FF you'll never go back. IE just isn't skinnable the way FF is, even if you have a nice Windows visual style, the style isn't made specifically for IE like the themes for FF are made specifically for FF. What I mean is, the themes are closely intertwined with the program, every aspect is tweaked just perfectly.

Lorand

<b>VIP Member</b>
Which browser messes up the Computer Forum?

ie_moz.jpg

I think the table looks better in IE (left) than in Firefox (right)...

But as Praetor said,
LETS NOT TURN THIS INTO A FIREFOX/IE THREAD

kb1ghc

OK, the "Internet Paranoia" thread was becoming a browser war.

This is why I like FireFox

so, let's move the debate to this thread.
Firefox has an extreamly effective pop-up blocker. i NEVER get pop-ups, and yet, i never have a problem with opening new windows and stuff. Firefox is pretty smart.

The only 2 websites I have a problem with firefox on are Windows Update, and LAUNCH

Believe me Firefox is THE BEST BROWSER ON EARTH!
1. Secure, No exploits.
2. Best pop-up blocker, doesn't block stuff you want, blocks stuff you don't want.
3. Sites LOOK better
4. More Features
5. Open-source
6. lots of great support, and developers that love to hear your ideas.
7. RSS feed reader build in (on newer nightly builds)
8. Customizable themes.
9. FREE (Really free, unlike exploder)
10. Runs on almost any OS: Win, Mac, Unix.
11. Thunderbird keeps your mailbox 99.99999999% SPAM free
12. Better text copying - keeps formatting, even if pasted into a plain text box. (like notepad)
13. Tabbed browsing - more than one page in 1 window, really useful for comparison shopping
14. copy image locations (great for forums)
15. secure password storage (encrypted and stuff, unlike IE)
Great "extentions":
Adblock - Blocks banner ads, based on URL and wildcards are allowed (so you can block "http://ads. (anything)" (makes loading sites faster)
Autofill - Autofill forms, and have multiple identitiys like "FAKE" and "REAL"
BugMeNot - a database of usernames and passwords for many sites, check out bugmenot.com
Download with - use download accelerator of your choice for downloads
Downthemall! - makes a complete copy of a website, includeing all the hyperlinks
GoggleBar - Searchbar for google
Linkification - Turns text urls, into clickable hyperlinks

Christopher

VIP Member
Most table-based designs are fine, because they've been part of web layouts for an eternity. But with CSS designs (and some more basic things I can't recall at the moment) IE has some trouble on. It takes a lot longer to tweak designs to work in IE then it does to actually design them. Those who abide by the standards usually have sites that work on most modern browsers (because if they took the time to validate their (X)HTML, then they usually go the extra mile to make it work in the most used browser) and sites that are IE only generally don't follow standards.

You shouldn't expect to see much difference between any browsers with vBulletin forums. They are a commercial company and have to ensure that the forum works for all users.

LETS NOT TURN THIS INTO A FIREFOX/IE THREAD
Too late, you should merge these posts with the other thread.

Christopher

VIP Member
Firefox here.

Last time I checked the stats, 75% of users use IE. Wonder why, it's just built into the most popular OS ever and is heavily relied upon within the OS (from help files to the internet control in programs). Out of the 75% I'd say at least 50% of people don't even know other browsers exist, or they don't realize the benefits of switching.

If you use IE and it works for you, then good for you. If you don't mind the poor standard support and exploits and don't need the extra features other browsers give you -- then you needn't switch. All I know is Firefox has more of what I need, and I don't miss one single little tiny thing that I had in IE. By switching from IE, I loose the things I hate and gain things I like -- no losses, just gains. Enough to make me switch :)

I think the better discussion would be "Why do you use the browser you use?". We can figure out the things people like and hate instead of discussing why we like one browser over another.

Last edited:

Lorand

<b>VIP Member</b>
If Firefox is such a good browser then why is that the <div style="float:left"> doesn't work in FF?

nomav6

I've never had to do any maintenance for firefox, but I don’t download the new updates, haven’t really needed to, everything’s always worked perfect for me.