Favorite Web Browser

What is your favorite web browser?

• Total voters

kb1ghc

Installing the nightly build takes less than a minute, and it doesn't mess up any of your settings. and the nightly builds often have some great new features.

Christopher

VIP Member
Lorand said:
If Firefox is such a good browser then why is that the <div style="float:left"> doesn't work in FF?
Works for me :confused: My new DevBox3 design would seriously mess up if it didn't work, but I assure you -- it does. Are you searching for "doesn't work in firefox" on Google or something? Where did you ever get the idea that float doesn't work?? (Ironically, that search brings up some people complaining that things don't work in FF, but if you read into them a lot of them are more like "IE accepts bad design, FF doesnt")

Ok, so how much time do you spend each day for your "super-browser" maintanance?
None. Nightly builds are like any other nightly build, they're usually a bit buggy but you get some nifty new features before a real release. I don't download nightly builds, my "maintanance" time isn't affected. And all the extensions are "auto-update" if you choose, so even that doesn't time time.

Last edited:

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
13. Again, there are some great "extentions" for tabbed browsing that will prolly let you do what you want. You can set any "open in new window" to actualyl just create a new tab. But tabbed browsing isn't a feature that is forced apon you, if you like 99 windows, you can do that too. if you like 1 window, you can do that. But usually you just need to right click "open in new tab" if your comparison shopping or something.
Kewl I know about that but can you actually make rules where it says something like "while within computerforum.com, any link clicked leading to within computerforum.com will make a new tab" (and so for other sites) and then have an exclusion policy "any other link clicked ever will make a new window and links from within there, unless excluded previously, will make new tabs" or something crazy like that?

But you can't forget the great themes for FF. You may say "My Windows style is nice", but once you start using some of the sexy themes for FF you'll never go back. IE just isn't skinnable the way FF is
Perhaps but (a) ill never find out until those two "issues" I have are resolved and (b) my skin is at the OS level so it affects every app, including IE (and FF) so they'd all be skinned the same way (i.e. any MFC type of deal)

Too late, you should merge these posts with the other thread.
Merged

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
I think the better discussion would be "Why do you use the browser you use?". We can figure out the things people like and hate instead of discussing why we like one browser over another.
Good point ... I'm an IEer for three reasons
1. I hate tabs in general and i'll only tolerate them if I can make rulesets for specific sites and have additional rules for child sites

2. all my online activity is whitelisted so I have no need for antipopups or anything. I cant goto a website without preauthorizing it regardless of what browser I have (and switching would be more work)

3. lack of "alt+d" shortcut which ive come to love from IE

Do you really use a text based browser????
Yeah... hell I used Acrobat as a browser at one point :p

"IE accepts bad design, FF doesnt"
LOL perhaps but then again there's the age old "Cannot copy file. CRC32 failure" error which ive come to hate ... "just copy the damn thing CRC32 or not dammit!" :D

Christopher

VIP Member
I hate tabs in general and i'll only tolerate them if I can make rulesets for specific sites and have additional rules for child sites
By default, new windows open in new windows. If you want tabs, then you have to shift-click or middle-click. And if you want to disable tabs altogether, then you can do that too.
lack of "alt+d" shortcut which ive come to love from IE
As you can see here, Alt+D does work. Along with F6 and CTRL+L.

If you don't need any of the nifty features then I guess you're A-OK with IE. But even if I didn't need any of the features, I'd at least switch for the rendering and web standards support.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
By default, new windows open in new windows. If you want tabs, then you have to shift-click or middle-click. And if you want to disable tabs altogether, then you can do that too.
Yeah but is there a way to have it automatic (i.e., rules) ... cuz if it was possible id switch in a heartbeat (and provided that I can get rid of the cute-buttons and use an IE theme :p)

As you can see here Alt+D does work. Along with F6 and CTRL+L.
YAY! I must have had a version that didnt have that shortcut ... strange cuz I tried FF only a few months back.

Christopher

VIP Member
Yeah but is there a way to have it automatic (i.e., rules) ... cuz if it was possible id switch in a heartbeat (and provided that I can get rid of the cute-buttons and use an IE theme )
Not that I know of, why don't you make an extension :p

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Not that I know of
Let me know if it ever happens cuz I would definitely like to take another test drive of FF

why don't you make an extension :p
2 part time jobs + 1 internet addiction + 2 full time programs at different universities = almost no time left
almost no time left + girl = time deficiet :p

Im curious though, whats the difference between Mozilla and Mozilla Firefox? :)

Christopher

VIP Member
Firefox is the "new browser" (hence the "The browser, reloaded" images you see some places). Once FF climbs out of beta with Thunderbird, they will become the default browsers from the Mozila project.

Firefox just has different features then Mozilla, AFAIK they both use the same Gecko rendering engine. I find FF faster loading and less "clunky" the Mozilla that has it's own mail client and IRC chat client built in.

Lorand

<b>VIP Member</b>
I don't get it. What's the big deal? If you're looking out of a window, what difference the window frame makes?

Lorand

<b>VIP Member</b>
Look at the screenshot I posted earlier in this thread and tell me in which browser is more information displayed.

kb1ghc

Firefox is very dynamic with their updates, Version 1.0 isn't even out yet, it's gonna be quite the browser when it's ready. So if you didn't like FireFox a few months ago, give it another shot.

AND bare firefox is kinda booring. so make sure to download extentions to really maximize it's capibility.

However, i might be a little biased, i never tried Opera, so i'm gonna give it a try.

kb1ghc

I don't know whats so great about "Opera" i just tryed it, don't like it.

and it's NOT even free, nor open source.

Christopher

VIP Member
I used to like Opera, but a few things really started to bug me. The best part is the mouse gestures, but now that is an extension in FF too.