Favourite operating system?

What is your favourite operating system?

• macOS

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (specify)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Deadpool

I would say pretty much all versions of Windows. I didn't "grow up" with Windows since I was well into adulthood when Windows came along. I learned computing using DOS and mainframe OSes such as VM and MVS. I've used many versions of Linux and Unix, used MAC OS (yuck!) and at one time was a big fan of IBM's OS/2. In the end, Windows is my favorite. I currently run Win 10 on all my machines and when I need to work on an XP machine it feels clumsy and restricted. I'm currently doing a development project for a client and the machine I am working on is running XP. It's clunky but it works.

Are you 70 years old?

mistersprinkles

Yeah it´s something like that. Once you are used to something, unless there is a drastic improvement, changing requires a ton of effort. Even so, you´ll always remember the first thing you used most dearly, and your opinion will be biased.

Like my first mom. Even though I had like 20 others after that one, I like her better, probably because she let me burn down her stuff. I think.

I went from C64 to Amiga to Dos to Win 3.1 to Win 95 to Win 98 to Win XP to Win 7 to Win 8.1 to Win 10. I also know how to use Mac OSX and iOS. And I briefly used a Unisys iCON system in my schoollboy days. Man did that system suck donkey balls... Big ones...Don't fear change bro, embrace it.

timekiller89

Yeah it´s something like that. Once you are used to something, unless there is a drastic improvement, changing requires a ton of effort. Even so, you´ll always remember the first thing you used most dearly, and your opinion will be biased.
Yeah. I think the reminder of a simpler time for one makes things have better value to them.

That said, there are some exceptions, unrelated to computers, I prefer the PS2 over the GameCube, despite growing up with both (but did get the GC first), so nostalgia doesn't always play a high part in terms of preferences.

I also find the keyboard shortcuts easier on my MacBook than on my main PC (especially for cutting and pasting files), as well as the overall layout of the keyboard despite only owning one since 2015.

TrainTrackHack

VIP Member
Linux, Debian and Arch specifically. I don't know how to use Windows effectively any more, it feels clunky now. I don't even know how to cope with a file manager that doesn't do tabbing.

Just the other day I discovered that you can rotate the screen win Win10 with some key combo I already forgot, apparently there's a bunch of cool shortcuts that came with Win8/10, and I have no idea what they are.

strollin

... Just the other day I discovered that you can rotate the screen win Win10 with some key combo I already forgot, apparently there's a bunch of cool shortcuts that came with Win8/10, and I have no idea what they are.
That key combo is a function of your video card, not Windows. It's conceivable that the key combo would also work on Linux distros if the video card mfr. put it into the software installed for Linux.

TrainTrackHack

VIP Member
That key combo is a function of your video card, not Windows. It's conceivable that the key combo would also work on Linux distros if the video card mfr. put it into the software installed for Linux.
I know rotation is handled by the driver, you can do that on Linux with just about any card as it is even without proprietary drivers (I have one of my monitors mounted vertically). It's literally just the key combo I didn't know about...