Fax Modem

mikealarm

I set up my fax modem in an Emachine, I see it in Device manager, but do not see it in any word processing program like word, notepad or works,
does anybody have any idea why it's not setting up?

I'm not sure what your question is. The fax modem won't install Word or Notepad on its own, you have to install those separately. If you are intending to use PC Faxing, then you also have to get another program that would do that already (the fax modem may come with that software, although it might not).

I'm not sure what your question is. The fax modem won't install Word or Notepad on its own, you have to install those separately. If you are intending to use PC Faxing, then you also have to get another program that would do that already (the fax modem may come with that software, although it might not).

My machine came with a Fax modem, I had to download a driver from Emachine, I figured once I installed the driver the fax modem would show up in MSword by itself. so you say I have to install that Separately, and what is the process to do that? (by the way I am using Vista)

Ok, I guess I should clarify by asking if you are trying to use the modem as a dial-up internet connection or if you are trying to PC Fax with the computer. If you are trying to PC Fax, then you need to get some software that will do that since that is not a standard piece of software for computers.

Ok, I guess I should clarify by asking if you are trying to use the modem as a dial-up internet connection or if you are trying to PC Fax with the computer. If you are trying to PC Fax, then you need to get some software that will do that since that is not a standard piece of software for computers.

I remember with XP & windows 95 & 98 all you had to do was to enable the fax modem & it would install into MSword and all the other word proccesing
programs. Why is it different now.

Huh, I don't remember that, however I personally have never tried to do this and most of the time in recent years such "PCFaxing" will come with any number of most All-in-One printers that come with a fax function. With that said, I believe there are any number of free versions of this software available for download.

I remember with XP & windows 95 & 98 all you had to do was to enable the fax modem & it would install into MSword and all the other word proccesing
programs. Why is it different now.

??? Are you trying to "print" to the fax modem? If so, you may need to install a separate program in order to do so. I know it is possible, but I was not aware of any built-in functionality in any of the MS Office products.

??? Are you trying to "print" to the fax modem? If so, you may need to install a separate program in order to do so. I know it is possible, but I was not aware of any built-in functionality in any of the MS Office products.

All I am trying to do is set up the fax, to fax to other fax machines through a word processing program.

Yeah, you'll have to get a separate PC Faxing program, you can get several through a simple Google search; or if you get a new All-in-One printer, several of them offer a PC Faxing software as part of the software package out of the box.

Alright, first off which OS and which version of MS Word do you have?

In order to fax from MS Word there are several ways to do it. One way is to go to File > Print, and your fax modem should come up in the drop down list (this works in Word 2000, 2003, and 2007). The second way is to go to File > Send To, and then click on Fax Recipient (in Word 2003 it's called Recipient using a Fax Modem). In either case the fax wizard should start automatically and allow you to enter in the number for which you want to send the fax to.

Last edited:
[-0MEGA-];1213706 said:
Alright, first off which OS and which version of MS Word do you have?

In order to fax from MS Word there are several ways to do it. One way is to go to File > Print, and your fax modem should come up in the drop down list (this works in Word 2000, 2003, and 2007). The second way is to go to File > Send To, and then click on Fax Recipient (in Word 2003 it's called Recipient using a Fax Modem). In either case the fax wizard should start automatically and allow you to enter in the number for which you want to send the fax to.

I tried both of those, neither one works.

I take it you've visited "Start", "All programs", "Windows Fax and Scan"
New fax and configured it in the setup wizard ?

After configuring it, it should give you the option in Office

Last edited:
[-0MEGA-];1213743 said:
Well then you probably don't have the full application package that came with your fax modem installed. Are you sure you installed everything and not just the driver?

I talked to tech support for Emachine, they told me that's all I need, but I think they do not know what they are talking about, I have windows basic, and I think I need windows Vista ultimate to get the fax program. I am just going to have to buy another internal fax.

I talked to tech support for Emachine, they told me that's all I need, but I think they do not know what they are talking about, I have windows basic, and I think I need windows Vista ultimate to get the fax program. I am just going to have to buy another internal fax.
Wait, first you have the phone line connected to your PC right?

Also you don't need Vista Ultimate, I know Vista Business has the Fax and Scan wizard, and I believe Home Premium does as well.

[-0MEGA-];1213743 said:
Well then you probably don't have the full application package that came with your fax modem installed. Are you sure you installed everything and not just the driver?

One other item to check: Under Printers and Faxes, do you have your modem set up and available there?

Anything that says fax does not exist on this machine. And it's much cheaper to buy a new fax then buy Vista business or ultimate.

Anything that says fax does not exist on this machine. And it's much cheaper to buy a new fax then buy Vista business or ultimate.

Well you could always buy third party software like snappy fax that's supposed to be vista compatible

http://www.snappysoftware.com/
Well from the sounds of it, the computer isn't detecting that you have a fax modem in your computer and installing the software/driver automatically. Go into the device manager (Right click my computer, properties, then device manager), and see if the fax modem is listed.

Back