Feedback on buying a Laptop.

Gary

I was looking to buy a laptop recently. I had a few questions. First off I was trying to figure out if there was a company that was more consistent on the parts they use. I seen videos of people opening up 2 of the same model computers and they have 2 different manufacturers motherboards, hard drives and RAM. Same specs they just buy what ever company is willing to sell them the cheapest product at the time. I know Asus makes motherboards and other hardware. Is there any other company's that would be good to look at? Also another concern of mine was the processor. Was looking at laptops with a 7th Gen Intel Core I7. Is there a big difference between the 6th and 7th Gens? Pros or Cons? I noticed they have 6th Gens with quad core all the 7th gens are duel core for laptops? I was looking to spend around 1000$ or more. 15.6 size screen. 1080 or 4K. A good amount of RAM or what would a recommended amount be. Also a decent GPU. Would like some peoples feed back or opinions. I don't do any gaming. I don't mind spending a little extra though and getting a better product that is gonna last me a while.

Laquer Head

Rather than worrying about where a given company sources their internal components from, I'd look more at a well-known brand with a solid warranty. When it comes to laptops, I personally like MSI, their build quality is respectable, wide range of models and price points, 2 year warranty, good customer service - I've even been through 2 RMA process with them, and both were exceptionally smooth processes.

As far as specs, I wouldn't be buying anything dual core these days, the 7th gen started with the entry-level duals and I believe there are quads, whether they are out now? I'm not sure. The vast majority of laptops for the last year or so have come with the 6700HQ which is a solid quad core chip and more than adequate for mid-range to higher-end gaming notebooks.

8-16GB of DDR4 ram is pretty much common place now, as is a combo of SSD for your operating system and a mechanical HDD for data/storage. If your getting into a 4K display, be prepared to pay a premium for that as well, a premium on a higher specced GPU capable of running 4K resolution. I'd personally just stick with a high-specced notebook featuring a 1080 display...but obviously thats up to you - same with screen size, thats all personal preference!

Deadpool

Dell, ASUS and MSI are the best brands. Aside from that it all depends on how much money are you willing to spend. Benchmarks can be a good starting point when it comes to comparing CPUs. There is not a big difference between Skylake and Kaby Lake. Almost none at all.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Then you don't need to spend so much money. Should be able to find something for under $500.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Computers do slow down over time without general maintenance done to them, even expensive ones.

Gary

Computers do slow down over time without general maintenance done to them, even expensive ones.
I've been through 2 desktops in the past 16 years. Each one lasted about 8 years. I always did regular maintenance on them. But I always payed around 700 for a desktop. I always figured if a spent a little extra I'll get something that will last me a long time.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
That would be a myth. Spending more money on something doesn't mean anything. The lifetime of something just depends on the quality of product you get. Meaning brand, HP is garbage and has been for some time.

Gary

As time goes on aren't websites and programs getting more complex and more demanding for processing? I don't think with computers you pay more then better computer you get but I was more looking at what hardware they used inside like the processor and ram. I won't be gaming or do video editing or any demanding programs but 6 years from now I would like to still be able to have the right parts inside so it still runs smooth and able to keep up with the content. If that makes any sense?

Deadpool

Everybody looks at the hardware used. If you don't plan to game or create content just get a 6-7th gen I5. There is almost no difference between Skylake and Kaby Lake. Don't pay attention to the GPU, get an SSD and 16Gb RAM. That should last a while. And definitely don't pay attention to the screen resolution.

Deadpool

Get a decent I5 quad core, 8gb of ram and you'll be good to go.

An ssd would be nice but not a necessity. Don't need 16gb of ram for what he wants to do.

He said he wanted it to last a couple of years, so 16Gb would be a good idea. Not if the 16Gb laptops are too pricy though.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Why get 16gb? If he isn't using at least 75 to 80 percent of 8gb ram usage then there is no need. He doesn't game, no high end applications from what I can see. Definitely over thinking this whole thing.