FINALLY getting a new power supply!

spirit

Staff member
Update: As of now it has been five six hours since I installed the new PSU and booted my PC, and no issues at all or crashes. So far so good.
Good! So all of the whacky shut downs and other crazy stuff that was going on before has stopped now? ;)

Punk

Staff member
Slowly you'll start to take things into your own hands, do some modifications to your system that you were too scared to do before. Next step would be setting up properly your OS onto your SSD and programs and files on your HDD. It's the first thing I did when I booted my PC for the first time last summer. It's really easy too.

SSD has OS and a few games that I want to load fast (GTA V for example). Rest is on 2TB HDD. I love the seven seconds boot up :D

The VCR King

Slowly you'll start to take things into your own hands, do some modifications to your system that you were too scared to do before
I felt so good at that I replaced my power supply by myself, and this is coming from the kid who last year was too scared to install a case fan and paid someone else to do it. LOL

Good! So all of the whacky shut downs and other crazy stuff that was going on before has stopped now? ;)
Yes and games are actually running stabler too. At least less FPS drops than before but in Fallout 4 even I'm getting a good 55-65FPS, no 35, 70, 45, jumping crap

Punk

Staff member
I felt so good at that I replaced my power supply by myself, and this is coming from the kid who last year was too scared to install a case fan and paid someone else to do it. LOL

Building a computer from scratch is not harder than what you just did. For me the hardest part was choosing the components, which I was helped here. After that I just followed @Darren 's guide. Since I had installed a GPU, PSU and changed RAM and HDD before, it all went smooth. Basically you have enough knowledge to build one yourself. You just need confidence in yourself and remember, if in doubt ask here or watch tutorials.

The VCR King

Building a computer from scratch is not harder than what you just did. For me the hardest part was choosing the components, which I was helped here. After that I just followed @Darren 's guide. Since I had installed a GPU, PSU and changed RAM and HDD before, it all went smooth. Basically you have enough knowledge to build one yourself. You just need confidence in yourself and remember, if in doubt ask here or watch tutorials.
I know how to build a PC, many years ago when I was like 10 I built one from old parts I got from garage sales and thrift stores and that's what I used up until I got my current rig. I won't hesitate to work on an older machine but for some reason it's nerve wracking to work on my machine because I know it cost $2500 and if I screw up itd be gone.

Laquer Head

I know how to build a PC, many years ago when I was like 10 I built one from old parts I got from garage sales and thrift stores and that's what I used up until I got my current rig. I won't hesitate to work on an older machine but for some reason it's nerve wracking to work on my machine because I know it cost $2500 and if I screw up itd be gone.

WHAT>??!! LOL

Punk

Staff member
2500$ WTF? Is it because you kept buying cheap parts that died? My 8 year old desktop cost me a total of 700€ with a GPU and PSU upgrade and was pretty close to your system apart from the RAM (add 80€ and I'm there...).

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah obviously, this person didn't know what he was talking about. You would have to have all kinds of bells and whistles included. SLI/Crossfired gpu's, watercooling, etc...

beers

Staff member
Yeah obviously, this person didn't know what he was talking about. You would have to have all kinds of bells and whistles included. SLI/Crossfired gpu's, watercooling, etc...
This. I bought a 1090T and 6950 the day they came out, definitely not $2500 range. Hell my current rig isn't even $2500

That being said it's nice to hear that a lot of your issues have been resolved.

The VCR King

This. I bought a 1090T and 6950 the day they came out, definitely not $2500 range. Hell my current rig isn't even $2500

That being said it's nice to hear that a lot of your issues have been resolved.
Curious, do you remember the original cost of the 6950 and 1090T?

spirit

Staff member
Eh you're probably right. The PC might have been worth $2500 six years ago but now that its honestly an old gaming rig it's probably closer to $500-1000. IDK.
No PC with an AMD CPU in it has been worth anything close to that for many, many years, if ever. :p

AMD X6 and a Radeon HD 6950 and the guy reckoned it was worth $2,500 TODAY! Sorry but that's quite funny!

There's no way it could have been worth $2,500 new. The X6 was a mid-priced CPU and the 6950 wasn't that expensive either when it was new. It was a fairly mid-range graphics card, probably equivalent to where the R9 380 stands today in the line up. Two of them would have probably cost less than one 6990.

It was maybe worth about $1,200 when it was all new in 2011 and that's because it had two graphics cards.

The VCR King

Good news. As of now I have 24 hours of uptime on my new supply.

Also is there any software I can download that will allow me to monitor my PSU, more specifically, how many watts I'm actually consuming?

Last edited by a moderator: