Firefox 4. What do you think?

Mark4_4

i my self think it is very good, a vast improvement on the last and even better than chrome ;) (although all they've done is taken chrome and sprinkled some Firefox magic on it) :L

Shane

Super Moderator
Staff member
I like it,Its fast...and has not crashed yet so....I dont bother with any add-ons,All they do is slow it down imo.

linkin

VIP Member
I like it. Don't like the default layout with the tabs and hidden menu bar. Could care less for transparency, it's a useless memory waster.

Motorcharge

Default layout is the only thing I don't like, but at least they gave us option to make it look like normal old firefox.

Demilich

With default settings, I noticed a vast improvement on my older XP machines, and much less memory being used. Not sure how the new layout is a memory waster as stated above, but w/e. Also runs great on my Windows 7 machine. Got me to switch back from IE9.

Last edited:

kobaj

VIP Member
I was completely skeptical at first. I thought the tabs at the top would be a chrome ripoff, it would have no app support (like the FF 3.0 launch) and would generally suck.

I was wrong on all accounts -- and am quite pleased by that.

FF4 is amazing in my opinion. It took a bit of tinkering to get the refresh button back on the left hand side of the screen, but everything else I find to be wonderful. The tabs at the top no longer take up space and I (the user) can see more of a webpage at a time. Plus the usual, its faster uses less memory blah blah goodness.

And HTML5 and other goodies makes it fantastic!

zombine210

i don't trust software that keeps tabs on how many downloads it gets on the first day. if it's good, the people will come.

having said that, i just downloaded and installed on my work laptop. i really can't tell the difference in speed, i think it really depends on your internet connection and whether you have cache enabled, which i don't.

the default config also put me off, but giving us the option to change it is a good thing, unlike that awful ugly chrome.

the top bar got bigger even with the settings like i use them, so that's another inch or so of web page you lose.

everything else is good, it's the same o' Firefox.

edit: another thing i just noticed - they put the back, forward, refresh, stop & home far away from each other. i like them close together. hopefully there's an option there to fix that.

Last edited:

Troncoso

VIP Member
Default layout is the only thing I don't like, but at least they gave us option to make it look like normal old firefox.

Same. Since I tried the beta out, the first thing I did when I upgraded was mess with the view options til it was the same as 3.X firefox. Now.....It feels like nothing has changed.

Twist86

I agree. I wish they made a lite version though or allowed you to "gut it" like a windows OS. They default about:config wont actually disable it so its pointless.

Hsv_Man

I'm still on 3.6.16 i don't see the need to update yet as it seems a bit early. If there are a few bugs they have to be worked out first before the update is released through the firefox browser.

Dngrsone

VIP Member
There is a bug on the Ubuntu side of things-- the drop-downs don't work correctly after the screen-saver has gone active. Minimizing the FF window and restoring it seems to remedy the problem. I'm sure the fix is forthcoming.

bsbgales

cool

Is very cool to see the diffrent, i think is a huge inprovement. But there`s a lot of work to do to make it perfect anyway!

Nanobyte

I loaded it first on my "B" machine to check it out. A few extensions were not compatible but I found alternatives. I dislike the bland colour of the icons so loaded the Firefox 3 theme. A few years back Corel Photopaint went to monochrome pastel blue icons. They all looked the same. You had to deliberately look at the icons so you did not click the wrong one. Colour is worth as much as shape.

I run a number of my own scripts to download web pages overnight and I found they all worked fine. Shortcuts etc same as before. Ten minutes of re-arranging layout and that was it. Quite painless. Seems to work fine. I don't care about speed as long as it's not slower than 3.